SVT Forums

I feel like a fat kid in a candy store

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 01:25 AM
Hlistr_07RR
I always jizz first

Default I feel like a fat kid in a candy store

Ok. So I suppose you'll be seeing more of me in here. I'm a major OT nut, so I don't know many of you in this section or the rest of the forum pretty much. But here's the deal. I've decided to take the plunge, and am picking up a beautiful 01 Cobra, laser red with 39k tomorrow. If it meets my criteria that is, I'm driving up to PA so it'll be a long day. Anyhow, I know very very little about Mustangs in general, so I'm going to be asking a lot of stupid questions. Please bear with me k thx. Oh and SVTeeshirt is my buddy on here, and a lot of the reason I even considered a Cobra. So ya, nice to meet you all, and here's a few pictures the owner has just to whet your appetite.

It has 4.10 gears, bbk offroad xpipe, flowmaster catback exhaust, B&M short throw shifter, K&N CAI, and I think headers but not sure. Also has the 03 cobra rims, and is lowered 2 inches. 39,000 miles. Yes....I'm excited. I don't have a whole lot of mods planned yet, but I'm sure that'll change. I'm thinking black taillight covers, black lettering for the "Cobra" in the bumper, and tint of course. So ya, I promise betta pictures soon. Updates to follow...

Old 09-30-2008, 02:09 AM
Mustang3GT07
6th Gear Member

I hope you get it. Well since your a noob at mustangs in general, we'll let you stupid questions go lol. I remember you from o/t.
Old 09-30-2008, 02:15 AM
Hlistr_07RR
I always jizz first

Ok first dumb question, why do some people say 32v 4.6 and 4v 4.6, aren't they the same thing?
Old 09-30-2008, 02:34 AM
StriderTacticaL
4th Gear Member

They are refering to how many valves the engine has in total/each cylinder has in total.

99-04 GT's have 2 valves per cylinder. 8 cylinders means a total of 16 valves. So some people either refer it to the 2V 4.6.

whatever-04 Cobras have 4 valves per cylinder. 8 cylinders mean a total of 32 valves. Most people refer it to a 4V 4.6.
Old 09-30-2008, 02:35 AM
StriderTacticaL
4th Gear Member

Oops I misread your question, yeah they are the same thing.
Old 09-30-2008, 02:47 AM
Hlistr_07RR
I always jizz first

No perfect, you explained it...exactly what I wanted to know. Anything in particular I should look for in this year/model when I test drive it? I don't wanna get a lemon, but I feel I'm getting a steal. How much do you think this is worth?

Also, don't feel you have to explain it in detail, I plan on searching for threads regarding this...but what's the deal with pullies and how much hp can you gain by changing them? Does the car have to be supercharged to do it?

Last edited by Hlistr_07RR; 09-30-2008 at 02:52 AM.
Old 09-30-2008, 02:51 AM
StriderTacticaL
4th Gear Member

I'm always in the GT section so I don't know too much about cobras, but if you are buying this from a private seller (or any seller for that matter) I would strongly suggest to make sure it is inspected by a trusted mechanic

And don't forget to carfax it
Old 09-30-2008, 02:57 AM
StriderTacticaL
4th Gear Member

Oh and also since I bought my car like 5 months ago and it is my first car, you probably know how about buying cars than I do but anyhow,

Just make sure you check and try out as much as you can before making your decision. You may only get a few minutes with the car but try to drive it in as many diffferent situations as you can, U turns, left/right turns, reversing, check all the turn signals, functions, lights....

Run through all the gears and make sure the clutch isn't squeaking or slipping, look under the seat, under the car, look for signs of flood damage. Look at the car under some good sunlight and see if the paint is consistant throughout and not have like one part loook fresher than another which could suggest a recent repainting which can be as a result of something posibly bad...Literally check as much as you can, try maxing out your power seat in all directions, try moving the passenger seat, folding the rear seats, check the sideview mirror adjusters

The more you know, the less surprises
Old 09-30-2008, 03:05 AM
StriderTacticaL
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Hlistr_07RR
No perfect, you explained it...exactly what I wanted to know. Anything in particular I should look for in this year/model when I test drive it? I don't wanna get a lemon, but I feel I'm getting a steal. How much do you think this is worth?

Also, don't feel you have to explain it in detail, I plan on searching for threads regarding this...but what's the deal with pullies and how much hp can you gain by changing them? Does the car have to be supercharged to do it?

Yeah your car has to be supercharged for that. I think it basically means changing the supercharger pulley for a smaller one so the belt spins it faster thus creating more boost. I think AmericanMuscle for instance sells some pulleys for terminator cobras and you can gain like 30-50hp just from that appearently.
Old 09-30-2008, 06:24 AM
562cobra
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Hlistr_07RR
Ok. So I suppose you'll be seeing more of me in here. I'm a major OT nut, so I don't know many of you in this section or the rest of the forum pretty much. But here's the deal. I've decided to take the plunge, and am picking up a beautiful 01 Cobra, laser red with 39k tomorrow. If it meets my criteria that is, I'm driving up to PA so it'll be a long day. Anyhow, I know very very little about Mustangs in general, so I'm going to be asking a lot of stupid questions. Please bear with me k thx. Oh and SVTeeshirt is my buddy on here, and a lot of the reason I even considered a Cobra. So ya, nice to meet you all, and here's a few pictures the owner has just to whet your appetite.

It has 4.10 gears, bbk offroad xpipe, flowmaster catback exhaust, B&M short throw shifter, K&N CAI, and I think headers but not sure. Also has the 03 cobra rims, and is lowered 2 inches. 39,000 miles. Yes....I'm excited. I don't have a whole lot of mods planned yet, but I'm sure that'll change. I'm thinking black taillight covers, black lettering for the "Cobra" in the bumper, and tint of course. So ya, I promise betta pictures soon. Updates to follow...
NOOOOOooooo...... every 99-01 Cobra owner will tell you not to do that. That is rule number 3. Thous shall not tint/cover/spray 99-01 tail lights.

you should trade me. And i can vouch for that B&M shifter, cus i have one. I'm sure you checked out my thread in o/t. and i believe you can get pulleys, but underdrive pulleys that is. don't know about the power gains.

Quick Reply: I feel like a fat kid in a candy store