SVT Forums

Lowering Springs

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 10:36 AM
mmafan
2nd Gear Member

Default Lowering Springs

I thought about lowering my car and was needing to get some info and some different opinions on what kind to get...I dont want to slam it but make it low....I heard about H+R Springs were good, but was worried about my tires not fitting right .Maybe post some pictures of your set up and I could go from there..I dont want to cut or anything like just a basic lowering job..I will be getting 17/9 tires in the front and 10.5 in the back..probably DR's...If that affects the type of springs I can use please let me know.. Thanks guys for all the help I get on this site!!!
Old 12-01-2008, 11:18 AM
Timspony
SVT Section Moderator

Your stock wheels are 17x9's all the way around...I was looking at the Eibach Pro Springs, you also may need caster caber plates when you lower the car!

If you go with the 10.5" wheels in the rear you're going to need to get the IRS bolts! ..they're like $15
Old 12-01-2008, 01:38 PM
Grabber
5th Gear Member

I've a lot about Eibach Springs. However, I roll on H&R springs, and I must say, based on my experience with driving in cars with Eibachs or any other spring set for that matter, the H&R springs are way better.

Here are some pics of my car with some decent angles too see how low the car is.

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/c...Mach1Cobra.jpg
http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/c...T/DSC01303.jpg
http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/c...T/DSC01299.jpg

Here is the rear, so you can see the stance of the car.

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/c...T/DSC01304.jpg

Good luck in your choice man!
Old 12-01-2008, 02:41 PM
562cobra
5th Gear Member

I have the H&Rs ss springs without any isolators on. The isolators are the rubber rings that sit on top and bottom of each spring.

Also included is a picture of the IRS subframe bolt that you will need to fit 10.5" wheels in the rear or greater than 295s tires.

I know you are not looking for this kind of drop, So I believe the H&R race springs will do for you.
Old 12-01-2008, 03:20 PM
mmafan
2nd Gear Member

thanks 4 all the replys guys...!!!!! Also props for posting the pics of your car... love all cars in the photos...562 cobra I dont want it that low but something similer....Grabber love the car and pics...I think Im leaning more towards your style of drop..I will be getting tires soon but my exhaust first...So I need the iso bolt for 10.5 in the back.. but when i get my car lowered it will have the stock wheels on it still..If I lower it with the stock wheels, when I get my new tires I only have to put that iso bolt on there? Thanks guys still learning about Terminators!!!!
Old 12-01-2008, 03:26 PM
Grabber
5th Gear Member

Stock wheels lowered, you won't need the bolts. Unless you go with wider rims.

I have H&R Sport Springs. You won't regret the feel and the looks that come with H&R springs.

562- Looking good as usual man!
Old 12-01-2008, 03:39 PM
562cobra
5th Gear Member

thanks grabber. love the torch red btw. Do you by any chance have your isolators on?

mmafan- When lowered you will have no problems with rubbing or any of that stuff.

Now I've heard, and done some research, that 295's are the biggest tires you can have without rubbing the bolt. 10.5" wheels require a 315 tire, which will rub the bolt and eventually end up slicing your tire sidewall.

There are three methods of dealing with the bolt problem:

1) Grind the stock IRS subframe bolt.

2) Buy the aftermarket MM IRS subframe bolt with a rounded head.

3) Go with 18" wheels. Those will clear the stock IRS bolt. The bolt will be inside the diameter of the rim.

If you happen to rub with the rounded head bolt, you can get spacers. They are rounded for a reason, If contact was to happen no damage would occur.

sorry to get off topic with this thread OP.

Last edited by 562cobra; 12-01-2008 at 03:42 PM.
Old 12-01-2008, 03:41 PM
mmafan
2nd Gear Member

OK I went to look at the prices of them and they are around 250.00 bucks..Thats not that bad...That is everything right? What it comes with is all I need? except for the iso bolt if I go with a bigger tire and rim..But I saw sport and race type of springs..What is the difference? Or do I just get the sport....? Also what about installation, is it expensive? take awhile? thanks guys and sick cars....
Old 12-01-2008, 03:43 PM
Grabber
5th Gear Member

I am not sure about isolators. I would imagine so, as all of the bushings have been changed out.

Also, about the tire sizes. I've put a 315 Nitto on my 9 inch rim, with no rubbing. That is probably pushing it. Good point 562.
Old 12-01-2008, 03:44 PM
Timspony
SVT Section Moderator

...Also, lowered = more difficult to change the OIL!

Quick Reply: Lowering Springs