SVT Forums

2001 Cobra questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 02:56 AM
esfkotaro

Default 2001 Cobra questions

Hey everyone, new to these boards (but not new to mustang ownership...had a '89 LX 5.0, '93 LX 2.3, '99 V6)

Looking into buying a 2001 Cobra I came across yesterday at a nearby dealership.

Can't decide if I want this Cobra (color listed as silver, looks more like a gunmetal color in pictures than the silver i see on most mustangs), or if I want the '03 GT 'vert.

The Cobra has 88k miles, clean carfax, 1 previous owner. The GT has 36k miles, clean carfax, 1 previous owner, and is just a couple thousand more than the Cobra (insurance came to something like $7\month more for the GT than the Cobra)

Both cars will be lucky to see 5k miles\year, as they're gonna be my weekend\nice summer day kinda car. Got a 2008 Cobalt Sport for the DD, and a 2007 Silverado 2500 HD for bad weather days (and no, im not a chevy guy, but this is what I ended up with, lol)

Now, here's the questions I have...
A) Is there anything serious\common I should look out for on this car? I'm completely new to the 4.6L 4v scene.
B) I've read that this WAP block is weaker than the block in the '99 and '03-'04. Is this true, and what are really my limitations on it? Suggestions?
C) On the note above, is boost just asking for problems with this block? Or can it take 8-10 psi without problems? Because I'd like to supercharge the car down the road. Maybe even turbo, i'll cross that bridge when I come to it though.
D) What are the best suspension options for this car in terms of lowering (just ever so slightly to close the gap a bit, im not interested in "slamming" anything.)

E) And, lastly, if you had the choice between these two cars, and had a goal of 420 whp, a nasty exhaust note, and just a gorgeous, kinda unique weekend cruiser...which would you choose? The GT is only about $3k more than the cobra (much lower mileage, convertible, newer).

If I go the cobra route, I'll probably have it by the end of this upcoming week or so. if I get the 'vert, I'm gonna wait until the next semester is over and pick it up in May (im aware the one im looking at probably won't be for sale, but these days '03-'04 GT 'verts are a dime a dozen at the dealers around me, so finding another won't be an issue.)

I'm going for a test drive soon for both cars, to get a good up close look at them, but before I go I'd like to get a couple opinions. Thanks in advance.
Old 12-08-2008, 04:04 AM
Martel
2nd Gear Member

I have had my '01 Cobra for a couple of years and have had zero problems with it. As to which one... You aren't exactly buying the car because it is practical. Take both for a test drive, one of them will sink a hook into your heart. Lets face it you buy one of these with your heart not your brain. If neither one gets you revving... keep looking.

I won't give you any advice on the mechanical end as there are far more experienced people here.
Old 12-08-2008, 09:08 AM
wytekraka
1st Gear Member

I too own a '01 Cobra. not sure of these engines capability of handling 400+ HP though. i mean its in your own personal preference. I myself have no urge to own a 'vert. and i also have no urge to puit a supercharger on my car. just wanted a nice performance car that can be driven daily with no problems what so ever. and thats what I have. i dont drive it every day though cuz i dont want to run up the miles on it. and from my experience, I've owned my cobra for a year now and have put on about 10,000 miles with no problems. and its def a eye catcher. everywhere i go in the car i get looks or revs. lol.
Old 12-08-2008, 01:14 PM
esfkotaro

it's mostly going to be a project. not a daily driver by any means, i probably won't hit 10k miles in 2 or 3 years, much less one. heh.

my primary concern is for the block, not the internals. internals are easily replaced (and more than likely would be if I was to SC)

the kenne bell kit insists that it can make over 450hp on these cars safely at 7-9 psi before neededing to upgrade any components.
Old 12-08-2008, 01:17 PM
Mustang3GT07
6th Gear Member

I would post this over on svtperformance.com

You prob get alot better answers alot faster since there is a section just for the type of cobra you want. KB makes a great product. If this is going to be a project car/summer driver like you say I would just take your time modding it and making sure you do everything right. Make sure you buy all the supporting mods such as IRS brace, IRS bushing and head cooling mod before you start to add any performance mods.
Old 12-08-2008, 01:19 PM
esfkotaro

only "performance" mod it's getting in it's first year is a full exhaust system.

i'd read about the IRS brace, already pricing things out =) thanks
Old 12-08-2008, 01:22 PM
Mustang3GT07
6th Gear Member

Yea I would not launch the car without the brace. The IRS bushings will help out alot with wheel hop. I also noticed by installing the head cooling mod my car runs a tad cooler and will help so I don't get the dreaded head tick problem.
Old 12-08-2008, 01:31 PM
wytekraka
1st Gear Member

from what i've read, if you stick with the IRS you will probably always have some sort of problem with wheel hop. i may be wrong. but thats the biggest problem with mine.
Old 12-08-2008, 01:32 PM
esfkotaro

i'll have to look that mod up.

as stated before, I have a 2008 Cobalt Sport (aka, SS/NA)

so wheelhop and necessary braces\mounts aren't exactly unknown to me, lol.

out of curiosity, do all Cobras pack an LSD in the rear, or will i likely have to find one?
Old 12-08-2008, 01:37 PM
wytekraka
1st Gear Member

the '01 comes fromt eh factory with LSD, and a 3:27 gear

Quick Reply: 2001 Cobra questions