SVT Forums

Thinking of Purchasing a 2004 SVT Cobra

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 06:25 PM
livefast1
5th Gear Member

my thoughts on warranty is that if it breaks buy a better aftermarket part to put on it.
Old 02-04-2009, 11:25 PM
Aereon
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by livefast1
my thoughts on warranty is that if it breaks buy a better aftermarket part to put on it.
x2, or replace it with a better aftermarket part to begin with=P
Old 02-05-2009, 08:42 PM
xxkazp3rxx
6th Gear Member

Warranties aren't all bad if you have a mod friendly dealership... I had one and it was great!!! just hard to find...

The problem with a Terminator and a warranty is that they can void it for almost any reason... It's really not to difficult.

On the other side, I had a balance of the factory warranty actually on my Cobra, and when my clutch blew out.. they put in an aftermarket clutch for me with all the labor covered under warranty.. they did the same for the gear housing, seatbelt crap and the paint on the front of the hood.. lol ...
Old 02-05-2009, 09:10 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

Originally Posted by xxkazp3rxx
Warranties aren't all bad if you have a mod friendly dealership... I had one and it was great!!! just hard to find...

The problem with a Terminator and a warranty is that they can void it for almost any reason... It's really not to difficult.

On the other side, I had a balance of the factory warranty actually on my Cobra, and when my clutch blew out.. they put in an aftermarket clutch for me with all the labor covered under warranty.. they did the same for the gear housing, seatbelt crap and the paint on the front of the hood.. lol ...

not true

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson-Moss_Warranty_Act basically they have to prove something cause the problem for example using non ford windsheild wipers cant void your transmission warranty. or an aftermarket exhaust if it qualifies as an OEM part etc
Old 02-06-2009, 12:09 PM
Timspony
SVT Section Moderator

...Was the '04 Cobra purchased??
Old 02-06-2009, 02:51 PM
Mustang3GT07
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by timspony
...Was the '04 Cobra purchased??
+1, I'm wondering the same thing.
Old 02-09-2009, 08:15 AM
maverick0923

Not yet still waiting for my cash to come in so i can pay off my current car.
Old 02-13-2009, 03:43 PM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by rmodel65
not true

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson-Moss_Warranty_Act basically they have to prove something cause the problem for example using non ford windsheild wipers cant void your transmission warranty. or an aftermarket exhaust if it qualifies as an OEM part etc

But the dealership still has the upper hand as they can simply continue to deny the service. It's not as easy as just walking in and explaining the Magnuson Moss Act.

If you have a bad gut feeling about a particular car, don't buy it.

$1700 is high, anytime I've bought an extended warranty it cost around $1,100.

There certain quirks on these cars that you need to look out for and aren't always evident on a test drive. For the most part, these are solid cars, however some of the problems are time consuming and can get expensive quickly, especially if you aren't doing your own labor.
Old 02-14-2009, 12:14 AM
MAD SVT
4th Gear Member

ford delearship effed me... had to pay out of pocket for a blown motor in a truck with only 54k on it.. .cause i didnt have "maintence records" i explained to them that i change my oil myself cause I LIKE TO! but since i couldnt scrounge up 2 years worth of reciepts for oil and filters... they told me to blow a goat.

grrr.

bottom line... dont buy a warranty when 15 people that own the same car tell you that you wont need it. and once you hit that certain level of bolt ons... (dont think you wont eff with the mods)... your out that money anyways.
Old 02-15-2009, 10:21 AM
xxkazp3rxx
6th Gear Member

Rmodel - TRUST me.. I worked at a dealership... there's always a very easy way to void a warranty... I don't care what the law says.

The only way i would be getting an extended warranty, is if i knew I had a mod friendly dealership...

Quick Reply: Thinking of Purchasing a 2004 SVT Cobra