SVT Forums

Cylinder Heads

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 03:11 PM
Fobra
Banned

Your probably going to be looking at 1-3 months turn around, at minimum. I dont know anybody how has race ported 4vs in stock for exchanges.
Old 03-16-2009, 03:34 PM
1SVTLVR
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by silverstang1996
Also, I don't know if you know much about tearing motors apart, but wrench times might not be what you think it is. I see you've done bolt ons and such to the car, but do you also know how to degree cams and all that fun stuff? It's one thing to bolt on an exhaust to mess with these OHC heads.
Yeah, I know by my mods to this car it's nothing but on my last two stangs I did head replacements, one was a 98GT and the other was a 99 Cobra. When you come down to it the only new thing about adding heads is the cams and if you find how to do it it's incredibly simple and any average bolt-on guy could do it if equipped with a little knowledge (and extra time to get things right) The great thing about the 4V is that they are exactly like the 2V in that you only have to time 1 Cam wheel per head.
Old 03-16-2009, 03:36 PM
1SVTLVR
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Fobra
Your probably going to be looking at 1-3 months turn around, at minimum. I dont know anybody how has race ported 4vs in stock for exchanges.
That would be for the port tho correct? This is why I was looking to straight buy from Ford Racing or Patriot or something like that where I could buy the heads, have them shipped to me, install them in a weekend-ish and be on my way.
Old 03-16-2009, 03:41 PM
1SVTLVR
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by silverstang1996
Yeah I'm with the guys saying just get your heads ported. If you have the money to get a new set of heads, valvetrain and all, and intake mani. Your best bet is to get a supercharger anyway, you'll probably gain more for same expense or less. There's a number of 4v guys around here with the same mindset as you but they have either been proved wrong and accepted it, or learned the hard way after they spent too much money for not enough power.
The great thing about the heads tho, I will already have them when i buy the supercharger so instead of only gaining say 120HP with the supercharger alone, I will gain 150 (guessing totally, and trying to guess low) I am still a couple months off from getting either of these pieces but would like to replace the heads/cams since they've been on my motor for 110K now.
Old 03-16-2009, 07:56 PM
MAD SVT
4th Gear Member

aww eff it... just put a 150 NOS shot on there... that'll hold you over til you get the 03...

and its cheap!!!
Old 03-16-2009, 07:58 PM
MAD SVT
4th Gear Member

uhm kidding... my votes still for an F/I setup.... that idea Fobra had about the Novi 2000 was pretty good... t
Old 03-16-2009, 08:53 PM
1SVTLVR
2nd Gear Member

LOL, ok so, I know everyone is for the F/I setup, and I do understand what everyone is saying, but I'm kinda set on what I wanna do, just need more info on aftermarket heads? Would I get more power from porting a set or buying from say patriot? And would the additional cost be worth it because right now 3500 will get everything I need with the FR500s. Most HP=Least/Moderate expense. Probably not gonna spend 3K for a port job.
Old 03-16-2009, 09:10 PM
silverstang1996
5th Gear Member

There are no real aftermarket head for the 4.6. Porting your set of heads would be better than any set of heads you could buy, and most cost effective. If you really must get new heads, get 03/04 cobra heads, they are truly the best heads out there for the 4.6 4v other than the 2000 cobra R heads. With that though, you will have to change more than just heads and intake, there is little things that go with it that I don't know, but know there is more than just head/intake swap.
Old 03-16-2009, 09:40 PM
mfj
Banned

Get your stock heads decked and ported, and you'll be set...
Old 03-16-2009, 09:54 PM
MAD SVT
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by MAD SVT
I'd just get yours ported.. you can keep your intake then.

cause if your gonna spend the money on a new intake manifold, and heads, you might as well pick up a F/I setup instead.... it'll definately make 60hp+
yep.....

Quick Reply: Cylinder Heads