Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 09:42 PM
RedSVT04

Originally Posted by Hlistr_07RR
From these mods. UDP?

JLT cold air intake?

Throttle body?

o/r xpipe?

Apparently kirk thinks it's a lot less than I do, so I was wondering if anyone has done them before and after dynos and can verify how much you should gain from these?

Keep in mind it's for a 4v 2001 Cobra
udp some say 15hp but i'd say maybe 8-10hp if that much
JLT CAI some claim 8-12 rwhp i'd say maybe 5-6
skip the TB
x pipes usually get 1-2 hp over h pipes but im not sure on the actual hp gains
Old 05-15-2009, 12:30 AM
Smokin04
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 5pointslow91
You see well its all amatter of aerodynamics. Aerodynamics is a highly refined science that vies for position with other key vehicle design considerations such as styling and ergonomics. It's importance with respect to the operating efficiencies of a vehicle is undisputed but manufacturers must steer a balanced path between the push an pull of the many other aspects of a car necessary to sell it to the consumer.

Aerodynamics started life as much as an art as a science. Early experiments used fish as the inspiration. Their sleek form was considered important to facilitate fast movement, but the precise details were not yet understood and developments were largely based on trial and error. It was as a result of this approach that the 'teardrop' form was conceived.

Ultimately a cars performance is dictated by it’s tyres. The more friction or grip they have with the road, the faster a car can corner, accelerate and brake. There are many weird and wonderful ways to get the tyres themselves to grip better, from compounds of rubber to their internal construction. One simple way to increase grip though is just to push them onto the road more. Sounds obvious eh? Of course you could do this by adding weight, but that would compromise other aspects of the car’s performance. The more mass a car has the more energy that is needed to accelerate it and keep it on the road, so really you want a way to push the car down, but without adding mass. That’s where downforce comes in, using the airflow passing over – and under – the car to push it down into the road.

An important idea to understand when thinking about downforce is the Bernouilli Principle for fluid dynamics. In short all this says is that the faster a fluid flows the lower its pressure. In our case, the fast that air is flowing over the surface of a car, the lower it’s pressure. (This is a vast simplification, but in general true.)
I read F1technical.net as well...you going to plagerize/copy and paste the whole site or just bits and pieces. Got any thoughts of your own on how much HP his bolt-ons will add?

To answer: maybe 8-10 rwhp and 6-8 ft lbs. Yes I have hundreds of dyno pulls that verify such numbers. You will also lose low end torque because of the larger TB and CAI. They slow down intake air velocity which manifests as lower torque #'s at low rpm's.

EDIT: I was thinking GT, add 5 rwhp for Cobra. There are so many factors that go into this too...an O/R X-pipe on a blown cobra can be worth as much as 35 hp, likewise on a CAI when done with a tune. But on an NA Cobra, the heads just breathe so well that you're hurting lower numbers because they're so efficient up top. Put it this way if you want to see if your parts will make any power...

Place a vacuum gauge in your inlet tube and rev the engine through the power band...if there is vacuum present at WOT at any rpm that represents an inlet restriction that is costing you HP. You can systematically work your way all the way to the intake manifold dong this to find out which part in your inlet is causing the restriction.

Last edited by Smokin04; 05-15-2009 at 02:40 AM.
Old 05-20-2009, 02:06 AM
5pointslow91
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Smokin04
I read F1technical.net as well...you going to plagerize/copy and paste the whole site or just bits and pieces. Got any thoughts of your own on how much HP his bolt-ons will add?

To answer: maybe 8-10 rwhp and 6-8 ft lbs. Yes I have hundreds of dyno pulls that verify such numbers. You will also lose low end torque because of the larger TB and CAI. They slow down intake air velocity which manifests as lower torque #'s at low rpm's.

EDIT: I was thinking GT, add 5 rwhp for Cobra. There are so many factors that go into this too...an O/R X-pipe on a blown cobra can be worth as much as 35 hp, likewise on a CAI when done with a tune. But on an NA Cobra, the heads just breathe so well that you're hurting lower numbers because they're so efficient up top. Put it this way if you want to see if your parts will make any power...

Place a vacuum gauge in your inlet tube and rev the engine through the power band...if there is vacuum present at WOT at any rpm that represents an inlet restriction that is costing you HP. You can systematically work your way all the way to the intake manifold dong this to find out which part in your inlet is causing the restriction.

awww, did u copy and paste sum of that into ur browser to discover that joke inspector clouseau??
Old 05-20-2009, 12:29 PM
Mustang3GT07
6th Gear Member

^^ Brawl between the "new guy" and a 2 year legend on MF!
Old 05-20-2009, 01:07 PM
5pointslow91
4th Gear Member

the legend is bigger than 2 years if ya know what i mean
Old 05-20-2009, 04:10 PM
Smokin04
2nd Gear Member

I may be new to THIS forum, but I've been in the Mustang/Car world for over 12 years. But I kind of like being the "new" guy...nobody really knows how much or who I know.
Old 05-20-2009, 04:52 PM
Wynn
2nd Gear Member

X pipe $80-$100 bucks used
K&N $50
TB- $150
Pullys- $125

Total of about $400- $425 should give you 20 HP on a good day and maybe 2 or 3 tenths in the quarter.

Or you can bolt in some 4.30s for $425 installed and not gain horsepower, but pick up a good 1/2 second or more in the quarter.

Trust me for the money you're looking to spend, 4.30s are better. Research the gears, you will thank me later.
Old 05-20-2009, 05:01 PM
boduke0220
6th Gear Member

From these mods. UDP?

JLT cold air intake?

Throttle body?

o/r xpipe?

Apparently kirk thinks it's a lot less than I do, so I was wondering if anyone has done them before and after dynos and can verify how much you should gain from these?

Keep in mind it's for a 4v 2001 Cobra

im gonna say 8 rwhp for the intake
6 rwhp for the TB
and 8rwhp for the x pipe

Old 05-21-2009, 12:03 AM
Hlistr_07RR
I always jizz first

Originally Posted by Wynn
X pipe $80-$100 bucks used
K&N $50
TB- $150
Pullys- $125

Total of about $400- $425 should give you 20 HP on a good day and maybe 2 or 3 tenths in the quarter.

Or you can bolt in some 4.30s for $425 installed and not gain horsepower, but pick up a good 1/2 second or more in the quarter.

Trust me for the money you're looking to spend, 4.30s are better. Research the gears, you will thank me later.
I already have 4.10's, I'll stick with them. I also already have the Xpipe and a drop in K&N filter. Wanna do the JLT CAI though and pullies. I've decided not to get the TB
Old 05-21-2009, 02:39 AM
Mustang3GT07
6th Gear Member

I already have 4.10's, I'll stick with them. I also already have the Xpipe and a drop in K&N filter. Wanna do the JLT CAI though and pullies. I've decided not to get the TB
Don't go with the cheap PVC pipe crap (JLT) lol

Quick Reply: What gains can I expect to see?