Default RE: Honest Opinions On 2003 Cobra

Definately one of the best Ford made.
just bolt on parts & you got a monster.

I love mine.
Old 07-26-2005, 01:38 AM
jdaniel
I ♥ Acer

I made 642 and 600 with a simple swap of blowers and fuel system. The only draw back is the IRS, but the live axle is going in soon.
Old 08-22-2005, 12:17 AM
Hulk

OK, everyone has covered the positives, so I'll cover the (very few) things I don't care for.

Interior fit & finish is not what I expected for the $$. I do like the styling though, even if it is 10 years old.

Stock shifter sucks. Too far forward and gates are vague. This should be a first mod. Second should be a diff cover.

Driveline has a lot of slop in it (hard clunk when getting on or off the gas suddenly). But I hear Corvettes do the same thing.

First gear is noisy, almost like a straight cut gear.

Wheel hop. I drive a coupe; I hear the verts are worse. However, there are things you can do to minimize it and still enjoy the sweet IRS ride. For SERIOUS drag racing, a live axle or built half shafts are needed.

Most owners complain of a vibration at 80-100 mph, that usually turns out to be the Ford Racing aluminum driveshaft. Mine does it between 90-110 mph. The dealers won't do anything about it but "blacklist" your car (from warranty work at other dealerships) because they say it has been "abused" if you're driving it that fast. Eventually I will go with a higher quality unit.

These are the common problems that seem to come up. But keep in mind that all of these fade away very quickly when you hear the blower whine and chirp the tires in third (in my stock Cobra). Not to mention when you spend maybe $1500 more and then can break them loose in fourth at 100! Suspension/brake mods are more on par with the rest of the industry as far as price. You have a nice T/A, but you would not regret this purchase. Especially if you wait 'till the '07 comes and people start unloading Terminators for cheap!
Old 08-31-2005, 05:58 AM
Ltd10th03cobra

I have an anniversary 03 cobra. It is by far the best mustang I have ever owned. The interior and exterior are awesome. I am soon going to put a Kenne Bell 2.2 on it. The car is very fast from stock and very responsive to mods. I get so many compliments everywhere.
Old 09-04-2005, 02:40 AM
UrHookUp
1st Gear Member

I'm getting a new Whipple Supercharger (Completely polished) soon. with the pulley config they told me, I will run consistant 18lbs boost on 93 octane, and see 650-675 rwhp. I'm already in the 500 club, so seeing the 600 club & then some, Holy Crap. Think that will do it for me. that plenty for me on the street.
I'm too old (35) to get into trouble.
Old 11-15-2005, 01:13 AM
leggitt

I've had my '03 for a couple years now. Besides the power the best part is the IRS. Wheels/tires/springs/exhaust. I like to go hunting for Porsches on the freeway. It is an American hotrod. If you don't like rattles, bangs and noise you need to buy something German.
Old 11-15-2005, 09:27 PM
J.Taki
1st Gear Member

I'm building a show/race car based around the 03/04 cobra engine. It was a no brainer decision to build around that motor.
Old 11-21-2005, 06:18 PM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

Typical problems on the 03/04 are the driveshafts vibrating between 80-110mph for some people.

Throw out bearing is also a very common problem, but Ford will replace the TOB & replace your clutch is there is any wear and tear on the fingers that they can see, you will also get a new transmission if the faulty TOB caused any damage to your transmission.

IRS is not the most ideal setup for the track, but there are packages to help this for under $400 that will reduce or eliminate the wheel hop.

WS6's are my favorite cars, looks wise & performance, until I got to drive this
Old 11-24-2005, 01:04 AM
Sinister Audio
2nd Gear Member

i wish i had a 04 cobra or even the money to buy one. i got a 91gt its an alright car but the cobars seem like 20times the car.
Old 12-09-2005, 02:41 PM
beabout

Own early production 03, see sig, and would not hesitate to buy it again. There are however issues with the car.

1. If you run it hard under boost for extended period you will fry #7 & #8. Head cooling issues.
2. The IRS does not handle hard launches well. Wheel hop results in breakage of some very expensive stuff.
3. Modifications are simple, insanely simple, to the degree that you will be in over your head if you do not have a plan.
4. Chasis is weak for the tq and hp the engine is capable of.

All the above can be avoided if you don't go crazy with mods.

Quick Reply: Honest Opinions On 2003 Cobra