See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Powertrain Guides
Print Wikipost

96 Cobra - running hot?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 04:11 PM
Smokin04
2nd Gear Member

Throwing it out there too...if you have a handheld, yo can change the temps at which fans turn on and off. Hi and low speed. Change them to lower temps. Just don't go ridiculous with it or they'll be on all the time. A good temp to turn them on is aroun 210 and then turn off at around 195ish...for the hi speed anyways.
Old 07-16-2009, 11:15 AM
5.0 85 GT
3rd Gear Member

^^^^ i was just oging to say that, my 97 did the same thing in traffic, and i used to get scared, but now i turned the fans on sooner, esp the secondary and now she runs cool, so you can try that too!
Old 07-19-2009, 02:08 PM
algoguen

Smile Had same problem

Originally Posted by paddy_boy
Yo - just recently purchased a '96 Cobra Convertible, 16,000 orig. miles, completely stock (couldn't resist!). Great car, except I couldn't help noticing the temp gauge creeping past 50%, up to almost 75%, in stop-and-go city driving, before dropping back down to 50%. I replaced stock thermostat with 180 degree thermo, which helped, but temp gauge still runs past 50% in city driving. Is this normal? According to owner's manual, it's normal for gauge to do this, but it's a little unnerving to see this as an owner who cares about his car. I know there was some sort of issue with the radiators on 96 Cobras, and I called a local dealer, who looked up the VIN # but didn't have any record regarding the radiator. I'm willing to purchase a new aluminum radiator, but they're expensive, and there are other areas I would like to upgrade first. I'm also considering driving this car from SoCal to San Antonio, TX in August for a family get-together, and I can't imagine a harder test of a car's cooling system than that! Thanks for your input.
I have a 98 cobra and had that problem 3 days ago. Turned out to be the Fan motor and
the connector to it! It seems the fan was drawing high amps and burnt the connector
alittle causing the fan not to come on. While moving in Hot traffic stop and go here in
Florida it was 92-93 that day. I was bumper to bumper and the gauge went to the
red before I could get it over to the gas station on my right. Let it cool after it
purged all my coolant, added some water and watched temp go from normal to
start creeping up again. So I had it towed (via flat bed) to Ford dealer and after
the replaced the fan, thermo, connector, and recharged coolant after a flush, plus
added freon to A/C cause when engine gets hot it causes pressure to go up in the
A/C system and purges the freon.
Cost for everything was $1031 plus a rental for 1 day at $62.
Car is fine now, runs great. Mechanic said I didn't let it get so hot it did any damage so
although the cost was unexpected I am happy the car is okay...
Long story-----check the fan out....
Old 07-21-2009, 04:59 PM
Stang9946
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by CobraKMA
I have a 96 Cobra and noticed the same thing with the temperature guage. I think it is inherent in these cars. I have never seen it higher than the 75% but have been equally concerned while waiting in traffic, it goes back down once moving though.

I bought mine last year with over 140000 miles and initially drained and flushed the radiator. I haven't changed out the thermostat yet.

I am planning to open up the hood vents on mine and removing the hood liner but was mainly looking to increase air flow for performance but this would also cool it off. My concern is the road debris and rain.

You should be fine though but flush and replace the fluid if you didn't do that when changing out the thermostat.

Good luck!
Weird....the temp needle on my car usually never goes above about 30% of the way. Even on really humid days. I also turned the fans on sooner so it does run cooler, but even before I did that it still ran around 45% temp.

Last edited by Stang9946; 07-21-2009 at 05:04 PM.
Old 03-20-2012, 07:12 PM
Drexel Lewis Sr.

I have solved the riddle to our problem. you need to change ur thermostat to a 165 degree one. i just bought one from autozone made by hypertech. it was $24. after you install it open up the plug on the top of ur cross member bar while the car is running and refill the coolant to bleed off any air bubbles that may be trapped. after that tighen it back down and put ur pressure cap back on. ur car should stay at 11 & 12 oclock on the temp gauge.