SVT Forums

engine knock!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2009, 04:47 PM
Xemeth
5th Gear Member

It sounds like trading your fox for this was a mistake and your buddy screwed you over.
Old 10-22-2009, 04:54 PM
mustang90242
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Xemeth
It sounds like trading your fox for this was a mistake and your buddy screwed you over.
freakin a**hole....but at least its a real cobra...i cant really complain trading a fox for a 1999 cobra
Old 10-22-2009, 07:54 PM
Choppa
3rd Gear Member

if its a timing thing then u shouldnt have to replace the crankshaft, did he give u an explanation on y he wants to replace that?
Old 10-22-2009, 11:17 PM
mustang90242
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Choppa
if its a timing thing then u shouldnt have to replace the crankshaft, did he give u an explanation on y he wants to replace that?
the mechanic said that i shouldnt be driving it. and that i need to replace the crankshaft
Old 10-23-2009, 07:17 AM
Smokin04
2nd Gear Member

The mechanic is an idiot. Just try and drive easily. If it's pinging under part throttle, there is something VERY wrong there. Put race fuel in it immediately. If it still pings (chain rattling sound), then you will need to pull the motor and pull it apart AFTER you do a compression/leakdown test because there is most likely something mechanically wrong. You could have a hole in a piston which would allow the AF mixture through the hole and oil mist into the chamber which means that cylinder would ping all to hell. Compression/leakdown is an immediate neccessity! But don't let the mechanic who told you your crank needs replaced to do it...he's just trying to rob you.
Old 10-23-2009, 09:23 AM
Blownsvt
5th Gear Member

take it to a performance shop if possible. specifically one whoe specializes in late model ford efi vehicles if you can. I would not trust a dealer or budget mechanic to tell me what is wrong on a car like that esspecially once it has been modded. It could be your timing but honestly i doubt it because most people don't even notice light pinging unless they are specifically listening for it. Seems odd that your avereage person would hear that noise unless it is masiivly detonating in which case its probably going to need major repair to the internals of the motor. are you 100% sure it is coming from the motor and not a baffle rattling in a muffler or something else?
Old 10-23-2009, 12:32 PM
mustang90242
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Blownsvt
take it to a performance shop if possible. specifically one whoe specializes in late model ford efi vehicles if you can. I would not trust a dealer or budget mechanic to tell me what is wrong on a car like that esspecially once it has been modded. It could be your timing but honestly i doubt it because most people don't even notice light pinging unless they are specifically listening for it. Seems odd that your avereage person would hear that noise unless it is masiivly detonating in which case its probably going to need major repair to the internals of the motor. are you 100% sure it is coming from the motor and not a baffle rattling in a muffler or something else?
yes im sure becuase the noise is coming from inside the engine block
Old 10-23-2009, 12:34 PM
mustang90242
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Smokin04
The mechanic is an idiot. Just try and drive easily. If it's pinging under part throttle, there is something VERY wrong there. Put race fuel in it immediately. If it still pings (chain rattling sound), then you will need to pull the motor and pull it apart AFTER you do a compression/leakdown test because there is most likely something mechanically wrong. You could have a hole in a piston which would allow the AF mixture through the hole and oil mist into the chamber which means that cylinder would ping all to hell. Compression/leakdown is an immediate neccessity! But don't let the mechanic who told you your crank needs replaced to do it...he's just trying to rob you.
how much would a compression test cost and leak down test?
Old 10-23-2009, 02:34 PM
Blownsvt
5th Gear Member

compression tests are easy should not be too expensive to do. takes about 15 minutes on a 4V ford. you could probably get your self a tester and do it on your own. you probably want 2 people to do it though. one to watch the preasure gauge and one to crank the motor over.
Old 10-23-2009, 04:03 PM
Timspony
SVT Section Moderator

+1 ^^^^ ...I think you can still rent the tool!

Quick Reply: engine knock!!!