03-04 Cobra issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 11:21 AM
Timspony
SVT Section Moderator

Did you pick up the Cobra yet??
Old 01-26-2010, 11:59 AM
Shibito

Finalizing everything with the insurance company now. Picking her up tomorrow morning. I can't wait!
Old 01-26-2010, 12:01 PM
Timspony
SVT Section Moderator

Congrats!!! ....What's the first thing you're going to do??
Old 01-26-2010, 12:06 PM
Shibito

Originally Posted by timspony
Congrats!!! ....What's the first thing you're going to do??
Insurance may not immediately allow it to be put on storage insurance so I may put my Balt on storage insurance until I can switch the Cobra. Thank the lord for a 2 mile daily commute to work!

1st up will be a nice wash and wax
Old 01-26-2010, 02:00 PM
Mustang3GT07
6th Gear Member

Shibito - How far away from holt MI are you? It was such a nice town with alot of nice people when I went there for my car.
Old 01-26-2010, 02:13 PM
Shibito

Originally Posted by Mustang3GT07
Shibito - How far away from holt MI are you? It was such a nice town with alot of nice people when I went there for my car.
I'm not exactly sure where Holt is. I live on the east side of the state about 1 hour north of the Detroit city limits.
Old 01-27-2010, 08:43 AM
Smokin04
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Shibito
Yea that's what a thought. She'll be sitting the rest of winter and will probalby be getting appearance mods only this year. She'll be lowered, blacked out tails, window tint same as my Balt (5% all around with 16% on the windshield,) and probably a few other things.

Is there any specific way of telling if she's pullied down? That'll be the biggest thing I'll want to know. I honestly hope it's on stock pulley.

That car is NOT stock! The tail lights are already darkened, wheels are aftermarket and the interior panels aren't supposed to be red nor are the brake calipers (unless it's a 10th anniversary edition, but then the rest of the trim would be red too, seat inserts and a special badge on the rear decklid). The shifter **** is aftermarket, so no way to really tell what tranny is in the car. Thankfully after I scrutinized the pics, it IS a real Cobra though. It has the IRS in it, so most likely it has a T56 in it. Just make sure that when you test drive it, go into every gear. I've heard stories of guys taking out the IRS and T56 (and sometimes the whole engine!!) and swapping in GT stuff) and then getting rid of the car. You can tell if it's pullied by just looking at the snout of the blower. The stock pulley is solid black and around 3.5 inches. Most aftermarket pullies are silver or black with holes or some kind of writing/brand name on it. It will also measure less than stock size. If you find the pulley to be aftermarket, you need to have the motor checked out to make sure it wasn't hurt. Have the dealership do a leakdown test on it. Also, if it was modified, there is probably a handheld tuner that would go with it. You will need that to do any tuning (unless you just buy a hand held yourself). The more questions you ask, the better.

Last edited by Smokin04; 01-27-2010 at 08:54 AM.
Old 01-30-2010, 01:17 AM
Mustang3GT07
6th Gear Member

OP - How are you enjoying the new car?
Old 01-30-2010, 02:59 AM
Shibito

Originally Posted by Mustang3GT07
OP - How are you enjoying the new car?
Haven't had a chance to get her on the highway to open her up due to temps hovering around 0-10 degrees. Once temps get up closer to 40-50 I'll open her up a little. Had my local GMC dealer that I trust inspect her and they really couldn't find anything bad to tell me other then that the stock boost gauge doesn't work. Also found out that the front brakes and rotors are brand new.

Does any one know a site where I could get a new gauge cluster? I can only find gauges for the GT's and Mach 1's.
Old 01-30-2010, 06:45 AM
Timspony
SVT Section Moderator

^^ Check the factory vacuum line under the dash that controls the boost gauge ... Worst case you get a SOS Pillar & a few gauges! ...any new pics yet??

Quick Reply: 03-04 Cobra issues