SVT Forums

4.6 DOHC Rebuild Questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2010, 11:08 AM
Rokgtar
2nd Gear Member

Default 4.6 DOHC Rebuild Questions

Hello all!

I spun a bearing in my 97 Cobra a while back. To get the car on the road again, I picked up a replacement 97 cobra motor from MPS Auto Salvage. Car is back on the road, etc... but I am now planning a (slow) rebuild of my original motor. It has 143k on it, cylinders are nice and clean - no ridge, etc... and everything is apart, except the crank is still in the block.

I truly am at the beginning, so I have a few questions:

1) I need strong bolts to attach the block to the engine stand. Can anyone tell me the size, thread count, etc... so I can pick some up? Can I get some at Lowes, Home Depot, etc?

2) The rods and pistons are all in one piece and still look good. The bearing on #4 cylinder is the one that spun. Can (or should) I reuse the rods (#4 rod in particular)?

3) Is it OK to reuse the pistons, after a rering (providing I don't have to overbore, which due to the clean appearance of the cylinders, I don't think I will have to). Or, should I have a machine shop measure the existing bore size before making that decision?

4) I would like to get to around 350-400hp naturally aspirated at some point with this engine, depending on cost. Would I be better off purchasing a set of forged rods and pistons to get there, or can I reuse my existing rods and pistons?

Thanks to anyone who can help!
Old 04-11-2010, 02:18 PM
Blackvenom01
4th Gear Member

if your at this point your motor is all torn down i would do it totally right!! which means gettin forged rods and pistons get the crank balanced and if you wanna go all out get the engine bore and honed...your crank will hold along with your block but to get that kind of power you should upgrade your internals....some cams would be nice not gonna help the power alot but if you want a N/A beast itll make it sound sick......if it were me i would just build the thing strong since your already there!
Old 04-13-2010, 06:23 PM
SVTeeshirt
5th Gear Member

Honestly if you want a fully built all motor N/A car get a new block, buy a 300+ cubic inch mod block or just throw a blower at your car.

I've researched N/A vs F/I in a 4v to death.
Old 04-18-2010, 06:50 AM
Rokgtar
2nd Gear Member

Ok... lets say that I decided to go with an already built MMR shortblock... What to do with my engine that spun the bearing? Sell it? It is an aluminum 4.6 Cobra block (teksid) that is in excellent condition, a forged crank that may need .010 turning, a full set of rods that are in good condition, pistons that are all in one piece, etc... 143k on it. The cylinders have no ridge, and the crosshatch is still visible. The motor was running and still powerful when I pulled it; the machine shop pulled it apart and the rod bearings were scored and there were metal shavings (from the rod bearings) in the oil pickup screen. Thats all.

What is just the block and crank worth as is? Would a company sich as MMR be interested in it as a core? If so, what typically do you get for a core for this block and crank?

Thanks...
Old 04-18-2010, 11:31 PM
300Z5
1st Gear Member

same exact thing happend to me.. let me tell you what i did i tore my whole engine down took the shortblock and heads to a shop got eagle crang eagle rods and forged dishtop pistons, for the had i port polishd it got a valve job set of stainless steel valves, comp cams, springs, and retainers, bore it .20 over and got the block honed and the crank balanced, went from 4.6 to 5.0. thats just my opinion for a long tearm build, and if you plan on doing it make sure you can make payments for 10,000$ + lol