SVT Forums

Built Engine 01 cobra??

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 03:40 AM
mustang_o5

Default Built Engine 01 cobra??

So i own a 2001 cobra and would eventually like to S/C it probably with a Kenne Belle and would like to run at about 12-15# of boost. I know i have to upgrade the internals for the extra boost, but what exactly is it that i would be upgrading, and is this the same as a built engine? Also if i build the engine before adding the S/C will that alone give me more hp and if so how much.Also approx. how much does it usually cost for this. I currently have on my car a jlt rai, 90mm maf, jba shorty headers, bassani x-pipe no cats, bassani cat back, 3.73 gears, lowered 1 1/2, subframe connectors, caster camber plates and thats it for now. My goal is to get it to about 550 rwhp-600rwhp.
Old 05-24-2010, 03:54 PM
mfj
Banned

Originally Posted by mustang_o5
So i own a 2001 cobra and would eventually like to S/C it probably with a Kenne Belle and would like to run at about 12-15# of boost. I know i have to upgrade the internals for the extra boost, but what exactly is it that i would be upgrading, and is this the same as a built engine? Also if i build the engine before adding the S/C will that alone give me more hp and if so how much.Also approx. how much does it usually cost for this. I currently have on my car a jlt rai, 90mm maf, jba shorty headers, bassani x-pipe no cats, bassani cat back, 3.73 gears, lowered 1 1/2, subframe connectors, caster camber plates and thats it for now. My goal is to get it to about 550 rwhp-600rwhp.
Be ready to spend some major money... Unless you plan on doing some major head work on your car, building the motor for boost will result in a LOSS of hp, over the stock naturally aspirated engine. That is because of the lower compression ratio AND the fact that a forged rotating assembly weighs more than the stock internals do, resulting in greater rotating mass, and more parasitic drag. Be ready to spend over $5 grand if a shop is doing it themselves. And yes, building up the bottom end of your engine is the same as a built motor. One thing I would be careful of is your block though. I'd just go for a cheap cast iron terminator black. The WAP aluminum blocks in the 99/01 Cobras are crap.
Old 05-24-2010, 04:35 PM
SVTeeshirt
5th Gear Member

i've got a better idea for you O.P.

Throw a KB on your car at like 8-10psi i/c run 400whp then buy a bunch of suspension mods and a tire, too many people are obsessed with horsepower numbers, no one i know races dynos. If you start to feel the urge for more build a block on the side, as MFJ said the W.A.P block isn't exactly amazing, it could probably hold up to your desired levels but you can get a Teksid for $250 which is a lighter stronger aluminum block or an iron block. The only thing you would lose money on is your forged crank but you could just sell that when you finally do decide to build your motor. Trust me having your car down for a while while its being built is not fun.

You will need new injectors, you could go 42s for 400whp but might as well go 60s if you plan on going to 600whp since you will have to get it tuned when you throw the KB on anyway, also you will need new fuel pump(s) and a MAF. A lot of people don't realize how fast even 400whp is going from a near stock car, it'll give you some time to get used to more power before jumping to 600whp.
Old 05-25-2010, 08:56 AM
mustang_o5

thx for the info
Old 06-01-2010, 01:18 PM
Black*Death
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by SVTeeshirt
i've got a better idea for you O.P.

Throw a KB on your car at like 8-10psi i/c run 400whp then buy a bunch of suspension mods and a tire, too many people are obsessed with horsepower numbers, no one i know races dynos. If you start to feel the urge for more build a block on the side, as MFJ said the W.A.P block isn't exactly amazing, it could probably hold up to your desired levels but you can get a Teksid for $250 which is a lighter stronger aluminum block or an iron block. The only thing you would lose money on is your forged crank but you could just sell that when you finally do decide to build your motor. Trust me having your car down for a while while its being built is not fun.

You will need new injectors, you could go 42s for 400whp but might as well go 60s if you plan on going to 600whp since you will have to get it tuned when you throw the KB on anyway, also you will need new fuel pump(s) and a MAF. A lot of people don't realize how fast even 400whp is going from a near stock car, it'll give you some time to get used to more power before jumping to 600whp.
Pretty much agree with this but 10 pounds is likely pushing it on stock 01 pistons/rods.

Like previously posted...will need larger injectors and a fuel pump upgrade for 400 rwhp

Bigger numbers..say 500+ likely better to get a boost a pump and maybe larger injectors(?)

MAF at 90mm may be ok for 400+