SVT Forums

'03 cobra overheating

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2010, 04:56 AM
ga mustang

Default '03 cobra overheating

looking to replace thermostat and flush system, also bleed air. any info would be welcome. I also would like to find some kind of service manual.
Old 06-19-2010, 01:43 PM
stone4779

Originally Posted by ga mustang
looking to replace thermostat and flush system, also bleed air. any info would be welcome. I also would like to find some kind of service manual.
Probably just got air in the coolant system.

First off let the car cool off overnight, to make sure everything is nice and cool for the best results....DO NOT do this with the engine still hot..

Pop hood.

Take off the coolant reservior cap and fill it completely, trying to get as many bubbles of air out as you can. Put the cap back on. You will never need to take it back off at this point. Dont do it. I know it sounds retarded but the coolant tank is lower than the highest point in the coolant system so after all is said and done, if you take that cap back off, you are going to lose a lot of coolant and introduce air back in the system. So dont ever take it back off unless you are flushing the system again or something.

After that, look on the top of the motor, just under the supercharger snout. The will be a black metal pipe that runs from the drivers side of the motor to the passenger side motor. On the right side there is a plug on the top with a square hole in it. This is what you want to remove. You will need a 1/4 ratchet, it fits nicely in the hole. DO NOT use a cheapo ratchet wrench to remove this plug. There is a VERY good chance you will snap the tip off the ratchet in the hole, then you will be using Vise-Grips to remove that sucker.

It will be very tight just so you know.

After you remove that plug, pour your coolant into that hole and keep adding untill it is full all the way to the rim.

Start the car, and stand there and watch that hole. When the thermostat kicks on, it will begin to circulate the coolant, and the level will drop down. It may take 1 minute, it may take 15 minutes...but be there when that stuff starts being sucked down, ready to pour in more coolant. Let it continue to run for like 30 minutes, adding coolant. Once you are sure it isnt going to accept any more, cap that sucker off nice and tight.

Its probably a good idea to revisit this procedure at least one more time to ensure your coolant system is completely free of air. Make sure to begin with a COLD engine every time you do this procedure.

(On a side note, before you do all this, unbolt your coolant reservior and life it up, and look under it, inspect it for cracks...I know mine had spiderwebb cracks all over the bottom, and was seeping coolant ever so slowly...just an FYI so be on the lookout for that.. )