SVT Forums

New Radiator?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2010, 12:13 PM
Rokgtar
2nd Gear Member

Default New Radiator?

I have a 97 Cobra, 144k miles. I replaced the engine earlier this year b/c the old one spun a rod bearing. I still have the original engine (it's apart) and plan to rebuild it as time and money allow.

Last summer, I noticed my car as running warm (past the center mark on the stock temp gauge) so I flushed the coolant, replaced the t-stat with a 180 degree t-stat. That was with the original engine still in the car.

I notice on the hotter days this summer (and there have been plenty) that the car still runs on the hot side. Not into the red, but still beyond center. A local speed shop last year proposed to put a Fluidyne 3 core radiator in my car to cool it better. Now I am considering doing it myself (I'm able) but the Fluidyne radiators are over 400 bucks! I notice that there is another brand, Mishimoto - which advertises a radiator that is also a 3 core for 300.00. Is this brand a quality brand?

Does anyone here have any advice for me on which radiator to go with? What about a stock radiator? Could it be that mine is just shot, and that a stock replacement would be sufficient? I want to cool the car sufficiently...

I live in Virginia, humid and in the mid to upper 90's most of the summer, some days 100+...

Last edited by Rokgtar; 07-31-2010 at 09:04 PM.
Old 07-31-2010, 07:34 PM
paddy_boy

Default re: radiator

I have a 96 Cobra also, with the same problem. Ford issued a technical service bulletin on these cars, and according to my mechanic, the TSB recommended replacing the radiator, water pump, fan, pretty much everything. The problem was fixed in 97 model year, which doesn't help us 96 guys. My mechanic said the cooling system is working ok in my car, just that the temp gauge starts drifting past 50% when hot. It is not overheating. He also said that if it were overheating, the car is programmed to start shutting down nonessential operations, like the ac, which hasn't happened. The owners manual says anything within the "normal" range is ok. All that being said, however, I am also considering an aluminum radiator, just in case. I think aluminum dissipates heat much more efficiently. I don't want to take a chance on overheating an aluminum block. I would also like to supercharge this car in the future, which might put more strain on the cooling system. And you're right; aluminum radiators aren't cheap, and there's no guarantee of success, but for me, it's a peace of mind thing.Let me know if you find a good deal on a radiator.
Old 07-31-2010, 07:42 PM
mfj
Banned

Mishimoto is a very good quality brand. Just make sure that it's the radiator that is at fault. It might be something else, and much simpler too... Are you sure that all your fans are kicking on?
Old 07-31-2010, 09:13 PM
Rokgtar
2nd Gear Member

Well, first of all - I made a mistake - mine is a 97, not a 96 (not sure if it was a typo or I am just a dumba$$). I know there was a TSB for the 96 model, but it was supposed to be fixed for the 97.

It has a brand new water pump also... Last summer, the fan was not kicking on, it turned out the fuse was bad. After replacing the fuse it worked, but still went to the "A" in "normal... I'd really like to get the car to run as cool as possible, even on the hottest days, for longevity's sake.

I'll probably check into pricing for a Mishimoto radiator... and check my fuse again. Thanks for the replies!