SVT Forums

Starts...Dies. HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2010, 05:54 PM
CobraJay4

Unhappy Starts...Dies. HELP!

I have a '98 Cobra that was running fine until recently. Last week I pulled it out of the garage to wash it, and it died twice in the process. I figured it was because I didn't let it warm up. Since it was nice today, I was going to drive it to work however I couldn't get it to stay running.

The car fires up fine. RPMs go up to about 1900 then drops to around 700-800 and dies. It all happens fairly quickly, maybe 3 seconds. I also noticed if I push the accelerator in to keep the RPMs up (and therefore the car running) they still drop. I have to push the pedal down further to keep the same RMPs running. What does all this mean??? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. I'm not very mechanically inclined, unfortunately, so please try to keep it "elementary". Thanks in advance.
Old 12-01-2010, 07:09 PM
chouston86

Sounds like you need to replace your Idle air Controller (IAC)
Old 12-02-2010, 05:38 AM
Blackvenom01
4th Gear Member

more like TPS throttle positioning sensor is on the side of your throttle body have 2 bolts in it take the 2 bolts off pull it off but still plugged it and try to start it!! Fords are known for those going out! let us know how it goes
Old 12-02-2010, 11:56 AM
CobraJay4

Default UPDATE

Turns out my cold air intake hose had come loose from the clamp. That fixed the dying issue, however, it still seems to be idling a little rough. Should the TPS be adjusted? I understand it's a delicate issue. I'll have to get a volt meter to test it.
Old 12-02-2010, 04:19 PM
Timspony
SVT Section Moderator

Have you checked for codes (scanner)??
Old 12-02-2010, 08:15 PM
CobraJay4

Originally Posted by Timspony
Have you checked for codes (scanner)??
Not yet. I reckon I need to do that soon. I also need to get MIL Eliminators to clear the CEL. It's just right now with Christmas coming up and the wife job hunting (damn economy) it's not a good time for stuff to go wrong. Luckily, she finally has a job interview with the VA on Monday. Fingers crossed...more money for toys!
Old 12-05-2010, 10:54 AM
Blackvenom01
4th Gear Member

like i said man pull the tps off see how it runs it cost like 30 bucks to replace more then likely it is that...as far as mils they suck and last for only a few months what you need to do is get yourself a tune man!! i understand hard times though and i would wait for a tune rather then mils