SVT Forums

looking to buy a termi

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 08:26 PM
SilverGT03
3rd Gear Member

Default looking to buy a termi

Hey guys, I've been out of the mustang world for almost a year now after selling my 03 2v last July and I'm hoping to purchase either an 03 or 04 cobra around December/January of this year. I was hoping you guys could answer a few questions for me..

Now I know it obviously depends on the owner, but what is a safe number of miles to buy the car at?
Also would you not recommend buying one that has been pullied/ported and tune?

I'm hoping to get one as stock as possible(nearly impossible to fine one these days..) and would prefer a coupe.

Thanks ahead of time!
Old 06-08-2011, 09:27 AM
TheYeti
2nd Gear Member

it seems that the cobra engines can take a lot of abuse, so as long as its been cared for, it just depends on what amount of miles you are comfortable with.

Also, in regards to pullied, ported or tuned...it will be very hard. Plus, even if its stock when you buy it, doesnt mean its ALWAYS been that way. There is a good write up over at the SVTperformance forums on things to look for...basically if it starts up and sounds fine when running and driving...you should be ok.

BTW: I am in the same boat and will be looking to get one around that time as well. Good news is that if you are patient or are willing to travel a little, good deals can definetly be found....
Old 06-08-2011, 09:55 AM
Repzard
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by TheYeti
it seems that the cobra engines can take a lot of abuse, so as long as its been cared for, it just depends on what amount of miles you are comfortable with.

Also, in regards to pullied, ported or tuned...it will be very hard. Plus, even if its stock when you buy it, doesnt mean its ALWAYS been that way. There is a good write up over at the SVTperformance forums on things to look for...basically if it starts up and sounds fine when running and driving...you should be ok.

BTW: I am in the same boat and will be looking to get one around that time as well. Good news is that if you are patient or are willing to travel a little, good deals can definetly be found....
Good advice !! I want a Terminator ,theyre beast but I guess I will settle for my 97 for now
Old 06-08-2011, 11:18 AM
Timspony
SVT Section Moderator

...I would look for as near stock as possible!!!! ....Pulley OK... I have one of each, RagTop nice, but I do like the Coupe better!

GL
Old 06-11-2011, 06:31 PM
cobra21987
2nd Gear Member

I would get one with all the stuff done to it already because alot of guys will put all these aftermarket parts on the cobras and then when they selll it they just put the stock parts back on. I would say something around 50000 miles would be a good buy. Get a 4v dude there awesome
Old 06-13-2011, 11:30 AM
thunderhorse
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Timspony
...I would look for as near stock as possible!!!! ....Pulley OK...

^^this. I bought my terminator with 37000 miles on it with a ported blower, upper/lower pullies, full exhaust, and an intake. It was clean as all hell, looked way more expensive than what it was worth. 500 miles later, I had head tick and my supercharger was shot. I've since put in over $3000 just to fix the stupid crap that the previous owner messed up on this car - it really helps if you know the history of the car.

I wish I had bought a stock terminator and wasn't distracted by pretty colors (the sonic blue sold me on mine). Don't get me wrong, I love my car... but I've had it for a year and I've only driven it 1300 miles, and that's including the 400 mile trip back home from getting the car, as well as a 300 mile trip down to get the heads replaced.
Old 06-15-2011, 03:11 PM
cobra21987
2nd Gear Member

yea but how do you know someone didnt pulley it and put a whipple our a kb on it and then put the stock **** on it when they sell it
Old 06-15-2011, 03:20 PM
Snakebite64
4th Gear Member

I would only buy a used car from someone I knew. I would also buy one that had zero to very low number of mods as possible. Happy hunting. I know with mine (not a Cobra, comes with snakes though) I will not ever touch the motor in any way shape or form other than oil changes. I will never need a tune up as I put approximately 600-800 miles on it per year so if I drive it another 30 years ( makes me in the late 70's) the odometer should show 20,000 miles.
Old 06-15-2011, 06:17 PM
Chieflikalotapus
2nd Gear Member

Some guy here locally is selling his cobra on craigslist. It looks superclean and is all stock with about 30 something thousand miles on. I'll see if I can find the link
Old 06-15-2011, 06:21 PM
Chieflikalotapus
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by SilverGT03

I'm hoping to get one as stock as possible(nearly impossible to fine one these days..) and would prefer a coupe.

Thanks ahead of time!
Here's your nearly impossible
http://elpaso.en.craigslist.org/cto/2441226329.html

Quick Reply: looking to buy a termi