SVT Forums

New Cobra owner

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 04:01 AM
Hackman

Default New Cobra owner

Hey guys,

I am considering buying an 04 cobra within the next few days. What kind of price should i be trying to get out of this car

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/ctd/2427994160.html

^^Link to ad

Anyways, i am excited to be a new mustang owner. I would be buying this car with intentions on keeping it for about a year, maybe more, then selling it. How well do these cobras retain their value?? What could i be look at selling it for a year from now with maybe 50K miles on it? this car is a wa state owned car with 3 owners. the last owner was a ford service manager.. i think that is a good thing. car is not stock. has exhaust and intake as well as a few other things.

any input would be appreciated!!

Hackman
Old 06-09-2011, 07:26 AM
rwh129
4th Gear Member

Thats too much for that Cobra shop around.
Old 06-09-2011, 10:23 AM
Schmalgar
3rd Gear Member

Retail price from a dealer, that's fairly average. Perhaps a little high, but not far off the norm that I've seen. You can, of course, do much better on individual sales. It all depends on what you're comfortable paying. I have no complaints with what I paid for mine from a dealer, but some people refuse to buy from a dealer. That's great if you have cash sitting around, but sometimes you gotta go through a dealer for the financing. But if you're talking about only keeping it for a year, I am assuming you are in fact paying cash...? And if that's the case, yeah you can do better on a private sale. Personally, I don't know why you'd only want to keep the car a year? If you've never driven one, I'd say once you do, you'll have it longer than a year

I don't really know what specifically needs to be checked on a Cobra. I know the IRS is a known weakness, so that probably needs checking, though I don't necessarily know HOW to check it. Seems like I've seen some checklist threads in here somewhere, I'll see if I can find em, you might wanna search for that too if you haven't already...

It has a Cobra R hood on it already, that looks pretty sweet and different...
Old 06-09-2011, 11:51 AM
Timspony
SVT Section Moderator

Welcome....GL with the Cobra!!! ....I would not pay that $$$$ fot those miles! ....Talk them down or continue the hunt!
Old 06-09-2011, 12:52 PM
Hackman

Thanks for the help guys. Yes I would be paying cash. I did get to take her out for test drive yesterday. I do really enjoy that car. It's fast, extremely powerful and sounds better than Kim karsashian having an orgasm. But my intentions would be to keep it for only a year because I will be moving soon and there is really no sense in keeping two cars. This would just be my fun weekend car. I have to tell you though, the interior sucks!

I am able to talk them down about 1700$. Would that put me in fair game and the ability to take not much of a loss when I want to resell? I have been looking on autotrader or a while and haven't been able to find anything with that low of miles in that year. It seems like the best way to go bang for buck wise, would be to buy private, but it is unsettling for me to buy a car in another state, have it shipped to me all without seeing it and driving it. This cobra is in emaculate condition and is right down the street. What should I try and talk then down to in order to make it worth it?
Old 06-09-2011, 03:56 PM
Timspony
SVT Section Moderator

Search the web .... svtperformance.com has PLENTY of 03/04 Cobra's 4-sale at a better price & lower miles.... << LINK >>

Being that your intentions are to hold on to the car for only a year, and paying cash, I'd invest my $$$ other places

Last edited by Timspony; 06-09-2011 at 04:01 PM.
Old 06-09-2011, 06:00 PM
Hackman

Originally Posted by Timspony
Search the web .... svtperformance.com has PLENTY of 03/04 Cobra's 4-sale at a better price & lower miles.... << LINK >>

Being that your intentions are to hold on to the car for only a year, and paying cash, I'd invest my $$$ other places
Other places as in not a new car? I have plenty of money invested right now. I just want to have some fun and i cant get any more power out of my Audi.
Old 06-10-2011, 03:55 PM
Timspony
SVT Section Moderator

Your money....Go have fun!!!!
Old 06-11-2011, 06:37 PM
cobra21987
2nd Gear Member

you should be able to find that car alot of places for about 20k as long as your willing to travel a little bit