SVT Forums

Need Brake HELPPP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 08:37 PM
757Mustang
2nd Gear Member

Angry Need Brake HELPPP!!!

Ok for a update i replaced my battery and alternator so that problem is fixed, the light does not come on anymore sweet. Then i had, if you remember the brake problem because the previous owner had the brakes so low etc. So i bought hawk hps street and strip brake pads, drilled and slotted rotors (i got them because i got a really good deal on them, i know some of you guys hate them but i do not go hard on my cobra so i thought it would be good to get them) from brake performance, and for looks got caliper covers. Ok so now the problem i started on the passenger front. It took me 30 minutes to put on the rotor, brakes, and cover on. I did the normal steps, with pushing the piston down and all and it fit good. It was touching very minor but i still could free turn it with my hands (the whole wheel) I figured i had to break them in, if this is also wrong please tell me. BUT the BIG PROBLEM is the driver side i did the same steps but this time the caliper and brakes will not go on. The pistons are pushed down all the way evenly, i even broke the bleeder loose to get some more room. I got a brass hammer and lightly tap it in there, i got the top piston/ side on but the bottom one doesnt want to go in there. I finally got it in but now it will NOT move at all. So itook it back off started all over and it still did the same thing. My girls brother is a mech and i called him and he asked if the old pads are worn evenly and they arent. The pad is worn more on the bottom piston. I dunno if the last preson that did my brakes screwed something up or the bottom piston is going out so i neede a new caliper? etc etc. Any one have anyhting to help me, i know its alot and may be very confusing but anything will help. I am greatful thank you.

ps with the black rotors, and red caliper covers it does look amazing.
Old 11-14-2011, 01:13 PM
ShadowDrake
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 757Mustang
Ok for a update i replaced my battery and alternator so that problem is fixed, the light does not come on anymore sweet. Then i had, if you remember the brake problem because the previous owner had the brakes so low etc. So i bought hawk hps street and strip brake pads, drilled and slotted rotors (i got them because i got a really good deal on them, i know some of you guys hate them but i do not go hard on my cobra so i thought it would be good to get them) from brake performance, and for looks got caliper covers. Ok so now the problem i started on the passenger front. It took me 30 minutes to put on the rotor, brakes, and cover on. I did the normal steps, with pushing the piston down and all and it fit good. It was touching very minor but i still could free turn it with my hands (the whole wheel) I figured i had to break them in, if this is also wrong please tell me. BUT the BIG PROBLEM is the driver side i did the same steps but this time the caliper and brakes will not go on. The pistons are pushed down all the way evenly, i even broke the bleeder loose to get some more room. I got a brass hammer and lightly tap it in there, i got the top piston/ side on but the bottom one doesnt want to go in there. I finally got it in but now it will NOT move at all. So itook it back off started all over and it still did the same thing. My girls brother is a mech and i called him and he asked if the old pads are worn evenly and they arent. The pad is worn more on the bottom piston. I dunno if the last preson that did my brakes screwed something up or the bottom piston is going out so i neede a new caliper? etc etc. Any one have anyhting to help me, i know its alot and may be very confusing but anything will help. I am greatful thank you.

ps with the black rotors, and red caliper covers it does look amazing.
An aside note, I've got the 03 cobra brakes all around on my GT.

A lot of those rotor/pad kits don't fit well. I've tried quite a few different combos as I generally go through brakes faster than average. The -only- ones which fit perfectly out of the box were the motorcraft pads and OEM Brembo rotors. All of the rest have had the same issue you're experiencing - or worse, where I can't even get the caliper down over the rotor.

I've still used all of the others. If it's a tight fit, just scrape the pads on the concrete a little to get them worn down enough to fit. You'll have to be scraping a long time to take anything significant off, but scrape them a bit till you have a decent size dark spot on the ground and try again.

Or if it's just snug, just drive it at low speed a little, it'll wear itself in. Just don't go out on the highway because it'll build up so much heat before it wears in that you'll warp your rotor or worse.

Not a big deal