SVT Forums

New Cobra Owner a few concerns

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 02:23 PM
BirdGuts

Default New Cobra Owner a few concerns

I just purchased this cobra at the end of march, only mods so far are CAI , Magnaflow Exhaust,Rear adjustable Shocks,lowered, and 4# lowered Pulley,Now the guy i bought the car from had a mechanic he greatly respects/trust do a shorter belt for more HP on the Supercharger, I drove the car (daily for about 2 weeks with no problems at all, now it seem when i put the clutch in gear, there is a loud chirping noise coming from the supercharger belt area, i cant pinpoint it yet. just a concern, and wonder how this can be addressed. also there is a lot of play in the rear adj. shocks. ???? i'm lost there too. any help would be great. By the Way LOVE THIS CAR !!!
Old 04-06-2012, 04:30 PM
jeh4269
3rd Gear Member

Congrats on the purchase.Wish I could help you with some answers.
Old 04-06-2012, 04:51 PM
redneck racer
2nd Gear Member

My one main question would be why they changed the lower pulley instead of the upper first. Most people change the upper supercharger pulley to make more power with the eaton first rather than changing the lower and heres why... when you change the lower pulley it makes EVERYTHING else on the car spin at a faster pace also. This sometimes causes the bearings in those accesorys to go bad more rapidly. It only takes one of the many idlers or accessory bearings to go bad or burn up and it may be slowing the belt speed causing noise.

As far as the shocks, what brand are they? The belt should be very tight, overtime it will stretch slightly so if its loose, it will squeek also. Has the car been tuned before? or come with a chip or tuner? Nice buy, you will learn fast and lots of guys on here with good knowlege.
Old 04-06-2012, 06:37 PM
BirdGuts

Well when i agreed to buy the car , he asked if i wanted the upper changed, and i said ok, i'm not that much of a gear head but i knew when i heard the constant chirping something wasn't right, I was thinking of just buying a new pulley kit, would that be something that would work?
Old 04-06-2012, 08:34 PM
redneck racer
2nd Gear Member

Did it come with a handheld tuner? If not i wouldnt beat on it too much or change anything untill you get one. Once you have a tuner you can have your car tuned for any pulley combo you want to run. Some will disagree, but i prefer changing the upper only. The reason some people like to change the lower is because of belt slip, the smaller the upper pulley is the more belt slip you will get.

Is it not a constant noise? i know you said only when you put it in gear, not sure what it would be.
Old 04-06-2012, 11:04 PM
BirdGuts

when i pull the throttle it is louder, this just started out the blue, i have had the car for about a month...it started the noise about 2 days ago..so if i changed the upper back to the way it was, it could possibly solve the problem?
Old 04-06-2012, 11:34 PM
BirdGuts

i'm adding a pic of the drive belt tensioner & pulley. if you can notice where the tensioner meets the pulley it seems to be broken, also should i be able to move the pulleys up & down with my own power? you can see it herehttp://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...type=3&theater
Old 04-07-2012, 09:15 AM
redneck racer
2nd Gear Member

Not able to view the pictures. If you change the upper or lower, you have to get the car retuned or you risk causing some serious damage. The first thing you need to pick up is a handheld tuner with some tunes for your car, when you change the upper and lower, it adds or removes the amount of boost, so the rest of the car has to be programed to match or you are asking for very rich or very lean conditions on the motor depending how its currently tuned.
Old 04-07-2012, 10:18 PM
BirdGuts

I brought my car to a speed shop,(fellow Cobra owner) and he found the problem,The Belt tensioner was broken and somewhat loose,he's gonna replace that and add an idle pulley kit. Hopefully this solves my problems