SVT Forums

2003 Cobra: Supercharger Surging

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2006, 04:05 PM
NightmareStang
1st Gear Member

Default 2003 Cobra: Supercharger Surging

I own a carlot in olahoma and we just bought a 2003 Trible Black cobra for my friend. The car is in excellent condition and seems to have only one problem; the supercharger seems to surge/miss a little. You can really tell in sixth gear at lower speeds. We replaced the plugs lastnight with a new style from Autolite, the Xp's. Well its not nearly as bad, but its not performing like it should. It also seems to have some lag in it. We had an SVT technician look at it and he compared it to his 2004 lightning. He said it seems to have a gurgle sound to it. Does anybody know what could cause this, or have you had this problem?

On a side note we're looking to replace the stock exhaust with better free flowing setup for the blower, any advise would be appreciated. Also he wants to know modifications we can do other than pullies, porting/polishing the blower and replacing the rear axle.

Thanks.
Old 02-17-2006, 04:18 PM
blank
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: 2003 Cobra: Supercharger Surging

how much do you want for it when yoy get it fixed
Old 02-17-2006, 04:29 PM
NightmareStang
1st Gear Member

The car is already sold. We did a special order for him and found a one owner new car trade in. But we find cars for people. Its the nicest Cobra I have come across. He paid 27,000 for it ands it still around loan.
Old 02-17-2006, 05:29 PM
propaganda

If it was custom tuned there might be a fuel air problem, check for aftermarket chip or flash. Check for belt slippage as well.
Old 02-18-2006, 03:44 AM
7arpad7
2nd Gear Member

Most everything that you describe sounds to me like there is an intake restriction causing the blower to cavitate. Cavitation makes a gurgling sound. I would take apart the intake and check for anything out of the ordinary. The problem could be in front of or after the blower. One thing that would help in troubleshooting is knowing what the maximum boost is at WOT. If you are not making proper boost, then it could even be the valves blowing by. The 6th gear/lower speed thing sounds a little fishy to me (as far as tying it directly to the blower) because at those RPMs, you aren't relying on the blower for combustion air.

I would recomend getting a good X-pipe (with cats or without). There are a ton of brands out there and almost everyone of them does the job well. When you say pulleys, you are talking about the blower pulley right? I have always considered getting light wheels and drive shaft good investments. It is pretty easy to relocate the battery to the trunk and that is a little extra traction while at the same time less weight for the engine to push.

7arpad7
Old 02-23-2006, 03:55 PM
NightmareStang
1st Gear Member

Well we ordered a HyperTech Programmer because I believe the original owner had it set-up for 93 Octane and thats really hard to get ahold of in smaller towns. I hooked it up and it ran all its processes and check for any problems. Well once it got to the programming part in instantly gave us HyperTech's number and asked for an access code. Well I come to find out you can't program a 2003 Cobra if it has the factory head with the ticking in the left side and HyperTech has to have valid proof that it has been fixed before they give the access code. The head has defiantely been replaced.

Well as luck has it one of my friends is an SVT mechanic (But doesn't know to much about the 03-04 Cobras) and he wrote up a ticket saying it was replaced and we're faxing it to HyperTech and going to try and set the timing back a little and make it run a little bit richer so we can use 91 Octane.

I will look into the intake and yes it does have the gurggling sound. We also need to find a good, complete exhaust set up. Something that sounds good and gives better flow for the blower. Thank you for the information.
Old 02-23-2006, 06:08 PM
wangdoodle1740
1st Gear Member

Can't go wrong with magnaflow for your exhaust. Sounds great, not too loud but lound enough! And relativly cheap for all SS pipes. If money isn't really an issue, I'd go with Bassani. Fits perfect with absolutly no "convinsing" with a hamer needed.

As far as the drivability problem, does it only do this when you are making boost? If so, it is probably the belt slipping. Otherwise I would check the intake like somebody else stated and get the tune ironed out before doing anything else.

Kenny