Notices
S550 2015-2023 Mustang Discussions on the S550 2015 - 2022 Ford Mustang.

==Supercharger Project Advice Needed==

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2016, 12:10 AM
CPTCO
5th Gear Member

I sure can't remember what size the pulley was. I know the new one was considerably smaller. I changed the belt as well. Seems like there was several options of size, I went with the second smallest.
Old 02-11-2016, 02:52 AM
Mr. D
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Stang5v0
Mr D. Nice ride also. Is the stripe a custom paint job? I like the fade. Thanks for the advice also. I'm still on the fence about doing the install.
Came from Ford that way! I was happily surprised to see it as I expected a solid stripe! Duh!

I also would stick to the Roush 670 HP tune setups rather than pushing it by changing pulley sizes, etc.. I think their setup comes from a lot of testing & few more horses at 670 shouldn't be necessary! Getting the power to the ground will be the big issue!
Old 02-11-2016, 02:55 AM
Mr. D
4th Gear Member

What does it cost for the VMP Supercharger setup cost compared to Roush?
Old 02-11-2016, 10:04 AM
Stang5v0
1st Gear Member

Okay thanks CPTCO.
Old 02-11-2016, 10:26 AM
Stang5v0
1st Gear Member

Mr. D--was up most of the night doing research on VMP and now leaning back towards a Roush R2300. The setup I was looking for including the tuner was about $550 cheaper overall. But the website is still down today and I've also found some negative posts about shipping delays and tuning service. Can't argue with good advice and positive experiences. Going to listen to you and CPTCO on this one.
Old 02-11-2016, 10:29 AM
Stang5v0
1st Gear Member

How did you guys tune after the install? Did you buy a tuner and get a Roush tune or have someone to custom tune it?
Old 02-11-2016, 10:46 AM
Dragonetti
1st Gear Member

I waited a year and did a ton of research before going with the Roush set-up. All the supercharger kits claim 50 hp with-in each other but its all a wash on the road a track. Either go Whipple or Roush. My car only has the Ford resonator delete kit with a Roush and it made 601rwph 500rwtq sitting on 305 rear tires and it is a handful on the street.

I was also going to install the kit myself but decided not to after watching the install video. It wasn't that I thought I couldn't do it but every time I do a project there are always problems. I let a shop install it that installs five Roush kits a month, they did it in 2 days and there were NO problems. Best $1500 I ever spent, that's a dyno pull, the labor, and adding a oil separator.

Name:  20151021_161421_zpsnfsrhig0.jpg
Views: 560
Size:  287.7 KB

Last edited by Dragonetti; 02-11-2016 at 10:51 AM.
Old 02-11-2016, 03:16 PM
Mr. D
4th Gear Member

There's always a way to save a buck!

My posts are "ONLY" to say (1.) I was very happy with the Roush Supercharger setup installed by a SoCal Roush Dealer (PM me if you need a referral & price discount), & (2.) I think having the supercharger setup looks like a GT 500 & increases the resale of a Mustang, & (3.) I can put together a Mustang with all the comforts of a regular GT premium, with an auto trans. for about half the price of a Shelby! For that extra cost I don't need Shelby's name on my car & the rougher ride that goes with it! I also like the look of the stock GT more than the Shelby. Everyone should buy what they like of course... no criticism, but I have a fair amount of money in the bank because I try to spend it wisely! I didn't spend money on cars until I had a good, solid job & owned a house, etc. for my family!
Old 02-11-2016, 10:23 PM
CPTCO
5th Gear Member

How did you guys tune after the install? Did you buy a tuner and get a Roush tune or have someone to custom tune it?
VMP did my tune with data logs. I logged the car and they adjusted the tune over the Internet.
Old 02-12-2016, 07:53 PM
Granatelli Sales
Former Sponsor

I am even more committed now since I was humiliated by a new CTS-V sedan on a half-mile stretch of highway last weekend . My goal is to get as close to 700HP as I can get without changing internal engine parts.

-Generally, I shouldn't exceed 12lbs of boost if I don't want to change internal parts
-If I'm only looking for HP, a ProCharger system may yield higher numbers than some other more complex blowers (i.e. Roush, Whipple) since it uses less engine power to run it--they do tend to be cheaper as well
-I know a custom tune will be necessary either through a supplied tuner or through my performance garage based on the system I choose

Here are my questions:
-If its true about the max boost, which system(s) is(are) best to get the most HP/torque and fastest acceleration? (let's say from a rolling start)
-Is it true that a Procharger, or similar centrifugal system, can produce a better boost/hp ratio than the others, like a roots style for instance?
-If I'm able to achieve my HP goal, will my mostly stock GT even be able get the power to the ground without a lot to wheel spin?
-Any comments/preferences on tuning with a provided tuner or using a local, qualified shop?

One thing I might add is that I'm also considering having 1-7/8" Kooks long tube headers installed as part of the upgrade but it depends what I have to spend supercharger.

Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.
The Vortech system will make the most peak HP and you will be very happy with Quality - VERY HAPPY.

We sell them all and install them all. The procharger is very nice but not better then the Vortech when trying to make 650 to 700 rear wheel HP. So lets say they are equivalent

As for low end torque - then you want the Ford Racing type. It has tons of torque down low - BUT REMEMBER the Centrifugal (like Vortech or Procharger) will make more top end power for sure.

When you say rolling start you just gave the huge advantage to the Vortech/Procharger set up

Your stock car wheel hops so adding more power make more wheel hop. We have parts to fix that as well like better bushings and control arms. BUT AGAIN - if its about the rolling start wheel hop is not so much an issue.

Side note - WE have done a ton of testing with FORD Racing on these cars. I think we have a handle on what works - You cant go wrong either way. I just think the Vortech is better for racing a CTS-V from a roll

Which by the way I drive a 2016 CTS-V and it make 605 rwhp with ease. The car pulls from 0 to 160 before it has any Aero issues. You'll need every bit of that 650 to stay with the CTS-V. I mean that with respect becuase I also own a 750 HP S550 Mustang.

Quick Reply: ==Supercharger Project Advice Needed==