The Racers Bench Is the track just too much for you? Want to know what will beat what? Talk about it here!!

Alright guys, here's the deal...

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2010, 02:21 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

Default Alright guys, here's the deal...

I did something this week that I've been dreading telling ya'll about. After making a year's worth of $599 S197 payments, I just couldn't justify it anymore and traded it in on something cheaper. It was a substantial downgrade, but this trade literally cut my payment in half. So, what did I trade it in on..... an 06 SS/SC Balt. Yes, I did. No seriously, I really did. In all honesty, I'll probably end up going faster on the Balt than I would've in the GT. I just couldn't afford FI to go faster on top of swinging that payment. As much as I already miss my Stang, its a huge relief to have that financial burden off my shoulders.

So, now that that's out of the way, I have some plans for this thing. I've been talking to PD about what my options are and he has been a huge help in pointing me in the right direction. I'm going to do a 2.8 pulley, 60lb injectors, ZZP Heat exchanger, tune, intake, and then start focusing on mounts, exhaust, etc. My goal is to get as close to 300 rwhp as possible on the stock M62 and run low 13s with a strong trap, then go from there. The car only weighs about 2900lbs, so it won't take much if I can get the traction thing under control, lol. Alright guys, let me have it. Thoughts, concerns, opinions, and any ideas on what I can get out of this car are welcomed! I'm going to go ahead and put my rep on the line and say I'll have a higher trap than my Mach or GT with the Balt in less than 4 months.

Dammit, I meant to post this in the Bench section..... my bad Stk! Please move to appropriate section.

Last edited by Stone629; 05-16-2010 at 02:25 PM.
Old 05-16-2010, 02:24 PM
99GTvert
is my username.

If you actually want to be quicker than either of your mustangs in the quarter, you will need to reduce wheel spin. Are you going to put on drag radials or slicks when you do make it to the track?
Old 05-16-2010, 02:28 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 99GTvert
If you actually want to be quicker than either of your mustangs in the quarter, you will need to reduce wheel spin. Are you going to put on drag radials or slicks when you do make it to the track?
Definitely will. I'm going to locate some beater rims to put tires on. I'll get some baseline runs with it on street tires before I do any modding though, just to have something to judge progress by.
Old 05-16-2010, 02:29 PM
Kerns
4th Gear Member

I don't know man... Cobalts are just not very fast. Maybe this is just from the perspective of me destroying them since I am SC'd, but they just have yet to impress me. I have raced both the turbo and the sc'd versions and I just don't see as much potential there. FWD is also not the greatest at the track which I am sure you are aware of. I was told these cars were amazing from rolls, but it has still always been a slaughter when I raced them.
Old 05-16-2010, 02:31 PM
perfect.disguise
5th Gear Member

Custom dragbags and front chains, rotated mounts,..along with some sticky tires and you might dip into the 15's.
Old 05-16-2010, 02:40 PM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Stone629
I did something this week that I've been dreading telling ya'll about. After making a year's worth of $599 S197 payments, I just couldn't justify it anymore and traded it in on something cheaper. It was a substantial downgrade, but this trade literally cut my payment in half. So, what did I trade it in on..... an 06 SS/SC Balt. Yes, I did. No seriously, I really did. In all honesty, I'll probably end up going faster on the Balt than I would've in the GT. I just couldn't afford FI to go faster on top of swinging that payment. As much as I already miss my Stang, its a huge relief to have that financial burden off my shoulders.

So, now that that's out of the way, I have some plans for this thing. I've been talking to PD about what my options are and he has been a huge help in pointing me in the right direction. I'm going to do a 2.8 pulley, 60lb injectors, ZZP Heat exchanger, tune, intake, and then start focusing on mounts, exhaust, etc. My goal is to get as close to 300 rwhp as possible on the stock M62 and run low 13s with a strong trap, then go from there. The car only weighs about 2900lbs, so it won't take much if I can get the traction thing under control, lol. Alright guys, let me have it. Thoughts, concerns, opinions, and any ideas on what I can get out of this car are welcomed! I'm going to go ahead and put my rep on the line and say I'll have a higher trap than my Mach or GT with the Balt in less than 4 months.

Dammit, I meant to post this in the Bench section..... my bad Stk! Please move to appropriate section.

Stone be it sad I applaud you on your decision.. Takes a real man to give up his passion, so not to struggle.. I always say it and always will: YOU THE MAN!!
Old 05-16-2010, 02:41 PM
perfect.disguise
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Kerns
I don't know man... Cobalts are just not very fast. Maybe this is just from the perspective of me destroying them since I am SC'd, but they just have yet to impress me. I have raced both the turbo and the sc'd versions and I just don't see as much potential there. FWD is also not the greatest at the track which I am sure you are aware of. I was told these cars were amazing from rolls, but it has still always been a slaughter when I raced them.
It's all how you put it in prospective. A SS/SC is a drivers race with a 99-04 GT with the edge to the SS on the highway. A SS/TC will be no contest. It's not too often you see an aftermarket FI set-up on either a GT or Cobalt SS just driving around. You do, you have to pay to play. Not too much referring to the SS/TC they have seen all the way to 360whp and 395ft-lbs on the stock turdbo...also not including the SC on spray..
Old 05-16-2010, 03:04 PM
Stkjock
Retired Mod

you are now dead to me............................
Old 05-16-2010, 03:09 PM
JD1969
Pro. B.S. caller outer

$600/month on a S197???....holy assrape
Old 05-16-2010, 03:12 PM
Kerns
4th Gear Member

7200 a year... 5 years 36k$... I am glad that you were able to realize that you would be better off with a smaller car payment and taking that route... Just don't know if I would have gone with a Cobalt SS as my downgraded car.

Quick Reply: Alright guys, here's the deal...