The Racers Bench Is the track just too much for you? Want to know what will beat what? Talk about it here!!
View Poll Results: Is removing and gutting your trunk considered Weight Reduction?
Yes.
100.00%
No.
0%
Depends.
0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Thoughts on Weight Reduction...

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 12:18 PM
Grabber
5th Gear Member

Default Thoughts on Weight Reduction...

So,

I have had a few conversations with 3-4 People, and out of those 3-4 People, I seem to be the only one that thinks what I think.

Basically, the subject is, "Is removing your Spare/Jack, brackets, trunk mat, etc. and gutting it" weight reduction? The others I have personally spoken with say it's not. However, my take on it is, they say that because it benefits their times, etc.

I say it is weight reduction, and if you gut your trunk you are saving well over 100lbs and knocking off a tenth or two. This was brought up because I questioned my one friend and his GTO, since he posted FULL Weight, added into his time.

What do you guys think?
Old 11-03-2010, 12:25 PM
94Blk5.0
5th Gear Member

I mean, sure, you're removing weight, but I don't think it's anywhere near 100 pounds. Not in my car at least...

If the GTO guy takes the time to remove 100 pounds, then saying it's "full weight" is wrong. Now if he just pulled the spare and jack out, I would let it slid as full weight.

Last edited by 94Blk5.0; 11-03-2010 at 12:28 PM.
Old 11-03-2010, 12:31 PM
Grabber
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 94Blk5.0
I mean, sure, you're removing weight, but I don't think it's anywhere near 100 pounds. Not in my car at least...

If the GTO guy takes the time to remove 100 pounds, then saying it's "full weight" is wrong.
Well, he isn't the only one, however, I prefer not to point fingers, as all 3-4 of them are on this Forum, and are close friends.

The spare itself is about 35-40lbs, the jack is another, the hardware, the tire iron, the trunk mat, etc. all adds up. I may have over-exaggerated a pinch, however, it is enough weight to reduce time on your slip, etc.

Among them, removing the head-light is ok too, haha.

I've never taken anything out of my car, removed the headlight, back seat, swapped to 15-16 inch wheels, etc. I run my car as it was built from the factory. I feel semi strongly on this, and am a firm believer in "run what ya brung"
Old 11-03-2010, 12:43 PM
94Blk5.0
5th Gear Member

I have never taken anything either, but at the same I don't think decreasing the weight is any different from increasing power.

Now if I were trying to break into the 8's on street tires, then I would take the time to remove the passenger seat, the spare, and the jack. As I would need all the help I could get haha.
Old 11-03-2010, 12:49 PM
Grabber
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 94Blk5.0
I have never taken anything either, but at the same I don't think decreasing the weight is any different from increasing power.

Now if I were trying to break into the 8's on street tires, then I would take the time to remove the passenger seat, the spare, and the jack. As I would need all the help I could get haha.
I agree, it makes sense to me man.

I just run the car for what it is, how I drive it daily, etc.

It's not like most that get the best out of their cars that remove weight at the track, do the same thing when they daily drive their car.

Kinda like how my G/F's 3700lb GT ran deep 12's on Street tires, Full weight, and minimal mods.

I am sure her car would have broken 11's on street tires, or trapped quite a bit higher if I removed everything in my trunk, and the back seat.
Old 11-03-2010, 12:55 PM
crash
BrandofPoop

Originally Posted by Grabber
I agree, it makes sense to me man.

I just run the car for what it is, how I drive it daily, etc.

It's not like most that get the best out of their cars that remove weight at the track, do the same thing when they daily drive their car.

Kinda like how my G/F's 3700lb GT ran deep 12's on Street tires, Full weight, and minimal mods.

I am sure her car would have broken 11's on street tires, or trapped quite a bit higher if I removed everything in my trunk, and the back seat.
Not to sound like a dick but I don't think a GT that is bown is considered minimal modding I do agree with you about pulling stuff out of your trunk would be considered weight reduction.
Old 11-03-2010, 12:59 PM
Grabber
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by crash
Not to sound like a dick but I don't think a GT that is bown is considered minimal modding I do agree with you about pulling stuff out of your trunk would be considered weight reduction.
I guess I should have Elaborated further. Most S/C GT's, have things like Gears, Control Arms, Intercoolers, Headers, weight reduction, running more boost, sticky tires, etc.

Her car only has a Non- IC Vortech, @ 8 PSI, detuned the crap, Stock headers, Stock gears, Stock Suspension(Minus a Driveshaft) and street tires.

Compared to similar cars(Especially those that said this GT is not worth a damn, etc.) the mods are minimal.

At least someone agrees that removing a FACTORY Item is considered a mod of some sorts, and is weight reduction.

The G/F Is happy. She proved a LOT of people wrong, that thought her car was AT BEST, on Street tires, a high 12 second car. Some of those guys were my friends. All in good fun though. It's a daily driver, with over 40K miles on the car, and 10K miles on the Blower(New blower, old one is gone due to the accident.)
Old 11-03-2010, 01:27 PM
bluovalguy
4th Gear Member

When I am able to get to the track, I dont take anything out, not even the car seat. It might cost a bit of time, but it is a true evaluation of what the car will do set up as I drive it daily.

If you are removing stuff from your trunk just for the runs, then yeah, I would say it was "weight reduction."
Old 11-03-2010, 01:50 PM
99GTvert
is my username.

....removing items with the goal of reducing weight = weight reduction, even if its just a jack and spare.
Old 11-03-2010, 01:50 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

I suppose anything you do to remove weight is considered weight reduction. How much it matters is another issue.

Fwiw I run my car at the track exactly how it is on the street. Nothing changes between track trim and how I drive it regularly.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on Weight Reduction...