The Racers Bench Is the track just too much for you? Want to know what will beat what? Talk about it here!!

'02 T/A WS6

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 07:19 PM
Morbid Intentions
Wash Rinse Repeat

Originally Posted by 302army187
I knew about the '02's have the LS6 intake, so i told him he shouldn't look past mods like the throttle body and a bigger maf, since he has the intake for it.
Yeah but did you know about the earlier years having a slightly larger cam?

it's a weird give and take relationship with the 98-02 LS1 F-bodies... while the later years have an LS6 intake over the earlier years, the earlier years have a slightly larger cam over the later years

Both differences are said to equal each other out in terms of one being better than the other... or so I've heard
Old 12-27-2010, 07:31 PM
JT76

the difference in cams is negligible, the intake is MUCH better however.
Old 12-27-2010, 09:05 PM
302army187
6th Gear Member

didn't know that. anyone know why they changed the cam?
Old 12-28-2010, 10:47 AM
Morbid Intentions
Wash Rinse Repeat

Originally Posted by JT76
"Cam only" refers to the cam being the only internal modification, its an easy way to describe one's mods without making a list 2 miles long. It is a given that a "cam only" car is also going to have the supporting bolt ons.
this is all well and fine but just know when a GM guy is running 10's and when asked about his modifications he says "cam only" with a smug grin on his face, I highly doubt he is doing it to save himself the trouble of wasted breath

also, a "cam only" F-body running 10's is like "a few simple bolt on" mach trapping 112MPH

the wording just screams douchebag that wants to hide his mods for sake of bragging rights

JIMO

a cam only car would probably hit mid 12's.... a cam, slicked, 4.30 geared, 4200 stall, full bolt on F-body with weight reduction and suspension money invested will probably dip 10's

yet both cars are ID'ed as "cam only"... the latter definitely for bragging rights... the extra listed mods that make a difference would take what? 5 seconds more of a conversation?

the section has been over this a bunch as of late and from what I remember we all kind of agree to what I just spelled out... it's cool to have a cam, but if you have other crap, why in the world would you just say "CAM ONLY LOL" other than to try to skimp away with wowing people that fail to know as much as us in the automotive field

you would be surprised how many people I show big 10 second passes to and slip up and say "cam only" which sends the people I'm talking to into a BS spouting spree something along the lines of "an LS1 F-body cannot run 10's with just a cam can it?!"

I'm pretty sure most people that say this term are fishing for that exact response... In fact, I'm almost positive

I also give GTO guys the same hard time when they pull the term... or any LSX car for that matter

Last edited by Morbid Intentions; 12-28-2010 at 10:52 AM.
Old 12-28-2010, 11:40 AM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

I completey agree Morbid. I dont expect someone to tell me the brand of everything and every last little thing they did but.. yeah.. it's easy enough to say cam, gears, full exhaust, weight reduction, big & littles or drag radials or whatever.. but they use the term cam only to make it seem like they had to do a simple mod to make it really fast..

after I get my whipple + full exhaust + blower cams + suspension + 200lbs weight reduction and big and littles my sig will just say boost only. anyone asks about mods i just say stock engine.
Old 12-28-2010, 11:48 AM
JT76

people get so worked up over this, its really not a big deal and i never put that much thought into it before.