MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Racers Bench (https://mustangforums.com/forum/the-racers-bench-127/)
-   -   Challenger R/T with a few bolt-ons (https://mustangforums.com/forum/the-racers-bench/689941-challenger-r-t-with-a-few-bolt-ons.html)

lieu910 02-13-2013 02:42 PM

Challenger R/T with a few bolt-ons

My coworker has a 2010 R/T 6-speed with tune, shorty headers, ported TB, and a Flowmaster catback, and wants to have a go at my stock 12 GT.

I've seen his dyno sheet. He made about 370whp, but the torque at the wheels was just over 400 ft lbs, which really impressed me. He claims he has removed about 150lbs of weight from the car as well.

I've done some poking around, and have found bolt on R/T's running 12's. I'm not sure I am going to have enough to put this guy away in stock trim. Anyone run a lightly modded R/T? Evidently they are not as slow as some suggest.

I'm a 6-speed manual 3.31 all stock.

code3GT 02-13-2013 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by lieu910 (Post 8152690)
My coworker has a 2010 R/T 6-speed with tune, shorty headers, ported TB, and a Flowmaster catback, and wants to have a go at my stock 12 GT.

I've seen his dyno sheet. He made about 370whp, but the torque at the wheels was just over 400 ft lbs, which really impressed me. He claims he has removed about 150lbs of weight from the car as well.

I've done some poking around, and have found bolt on R/T's running 12's. I'm not sure I am going to have enough to put this guy away in stock trim. Anyone run a lightly modded R/T? Evidently they are not as slow as some suggest.

I'm a 6-speed manual 3.31 all stock.

You should be able to take him...pretty much a driver's race

chevydillan 02-13-2013 03:48 PM

It's going to be a close race for sure. Make sure you tell us the out come.

lieu910 02-13-2013 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by chevydillan (Post 8152726)
It's going to be a close race for sure. Make sure you tell us the out come.

I will. I have to say I've really dismissed the R/T until I spent some time looking at what R/T owners are doing with stock and lightly modded R/T's. These things are evidently very capable with just basic bolt on mods.

I love the way the Challengers look, and always have. I might have considered an R/T had I known.

GT500Steve 02-13-2013 04:19 PM

I owned a 2010 Challenger RT. Loved that car for the way it looked, but it was not very fast. I had a CAI & tune, and it was not producing anywhere NEAR the trap speeds of the newer stock 5.0s. Plus, even if he has removed 150 lbs. his car still weighs over 4K probably.

If you get a good roll, hook, and hit your shifts, personally I don't think you will have a problem.

1bad65 02-13-2013 05:02 PM

I ran one that had an intake/tune in my car before I had cams and 4.10 gears. We went from a 15 roll. I slowly pulled on it until we were over 120, then he was able to reel me in. I know the mods he had because after racing we pulled into a parking lot and chatted about our cars.

Based on my experience I'd agree with Steve that you should win this one if you dont spin or miss a shift.

z28th1s 02-13-2013 06:29 PM

Should be very interesting!!

Stone629 02-13-2013 06:49 PM

I don't think you'll have any trouble with him. I think ET wise you guys would be pretty close with the same 60', but the 5.0 should pull pretty good once moving past the 1/8th. Never know though, that R/T could surprise us.

lieu910 02-13-2013 07:39 PM

Okay, we lined up twice on the way home and the results are in.

We went from a 30 mph roll on the first run. We were even and that's pretty much how it stayed until I reached 85-90mph and I then started to finally pull him slowly. We both backed off at just over 100 mph, and at that time I had maybe a fender on the R/T. Win to my GT, but barely.

Round two we went from a dig, and he had a fender on me coming out of the hole. As we went through the gears, you can see how these engines make power differently. He would make ground on the beginning of a shift and I would toward the end. Again, around 90 ish mph I started to slowly gain the fender back that I lost, and he maybe had me by a hair at 100 mph. Win to the R/T.

Time for me to get a tune. He is getting ready to put a cam and ported 6.1 intake on his hemi and is guessing that will be worth another 50whp or so.

Anyway, a good time had by all, and I am pretty impressed with his R/T.

z28th1s 02-14-2013 06:41 AM

Good runs!! I thought it would be close!!

Get you an O/R midpipe, CAI and tune and see how how you do.

S8ER01Z 02-14-2013 10:22 AM

When I read typical 5.0 propaganda posts I would have expected you to blow his doors off pretty easy. I'm honestly shocked that the runs were close. Thanks for the posts and results! I'm really curious to see how each of you run at the track.

99GTvert 02-14-2013 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by S8ER01Z (Post 8153242)
When I read typical 5.0 propaganda posts I would have expected you to blow his doors off pretty easy. I'm honestly shocked that the runs were close.

...really?

TRexGAWD 02-14-2013 08:12 PM

With those mods that Challenger should be running in the 12s easily with the amount of torque it makes.. I figured it would be about even with y'all.. Intake and tune and you would hand him his a$$ though

CPTCO 02-14-2013 08:36 PM

This is good information to have. My uncle has a stock RT Charger, maybe I don't want to run him...
Great post.

GT500Steve 02-14-2013 08:43 PM

I am VERY suprised at the outcome. My 2010 RT Challenger ran 8.90s @ 80 mph in the 1/8th with a 2.0 60ft (mods were CAI, exhaust, and tune), my friends bone stock 2012 GT ran 8.20s @ 88mph with a 2.0 60ft.

Go figure!!

crash 02-15-2013 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by GT500Steve (Post 8153696)
I am VERY suprised at the outcome. My 2010 RT Challenger ran 8.90s @ 80 mph in the 1/8th with a 2.0 60ft (mods were CAI, exhaust, and tune), my friends bone stock 2012 GT ran 8.20s @ 88mph with a 2.0 60ft.

Go figure!!

Id blame the 3.31's, just my thought

S8ER01Z 02-15-2013 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by 99GTvert (Post 8153631)
...really?

Typical 5.0 posts are talking low 12s and knocking on 11s with basic bolt ons/tune... while the R/T can get to the 12s I still expected it to fall short by a good amount.

<- still afraid a stock 5.0 will dust him.

lieu910 02-15-2013 06:34 PM

Not sure what to tell you guys. He has had his car in the high 12's with those mods, I've seen the slips, and this is guy is not a B.S.'er. He evidently ran mid 13's stock, and the mods added about 40whp. All seems to jive with how it played out.

GT500Steve 02-15-2013 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by crash (Post 8153915)
Id blame the 3.31's, just my thought

The 3.31s didn't help, that's for sure, but even my friends car I posted about had a 3.31 gear.... and it would have WAXED the Challenger I had lol.

Stone629 02-15-2013 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by lieu910 (Post 8154266)
He has had his car in the high 12's with those mods, I've seen the slips, and this is guy is not a B.S.'er. He evidently ran mid 13's stock,

Don't think anyone is doubting that brother..

lieu910 02-16-2013 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by GT500Steve (Post 8154337)
The 3.31s didn't help, that's for sure, but even my friends car I posted about had a 3.31 gear.... and it would have WAXED the Challenger I had lol.

I see your point, and shake my head a little too based on the results you had with your Challenger. Even based on my cursory poking around on various forums, an 8.90 seems way off for a 5.7 with a tune.

chevydillan 02-16-2013 10:46 AM

I can say that my 2013 gt will destroy my 09 SRT8 challenger.

stealth_GT 02-17-2013 04:05 AM

Better hope he doesn't run a 100 shot :D

:icon_eek:

OP
what kind of car do you have and what mods when you raced that Challenger??

Kind of curious of what a race would be like would be between our cars :D

I raced a 6.1 SRT-8 Challenger at the track and left him in the dust (13.4@107mph) but put about 5-6 cars on him in the top end and kept on pulling after the 1/4 mile lights. Times in sig...

GT500Steve 02-17-2013 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by lieu910 (Post 8154561)
I see your point, and shake my head a little too based on the results you had with your Challenger. Even based on my cursory poking around on various forums, an 8.90 seems way off for a 5.7 with a tune.

Yeah, it wasn't exactly a good DA day when I ran my Challenger, probably a couple of tenths hiding in there that I never squeezed out of it.

S8ER01Z 02-18-2013 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by lieu910 (Post 8154266)
Not sure what to tell you guys. He has had his car in the high 12's with those mods, I've seen the slips, and this is guy is not a B.S.'er. He evidently ran mid 13's stock, and the mods added about 40whp. All seems to jive with how it played out.

Mid 13s from a stock 5.0? A lot of things are starting to make sense now.

Originally Posted by Stone629 (Post 8154364)
Don't think anyone is doubting that brother..

This

TRMach1 02-19-2013 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by GT500Steve (Post 8155559)
Yeah, it wasn't exactly a good DA day when I ran my Challenger, probably a couple of tenths hiding in there that I never squeezed out of it.

Hmm here in Florida at my track there are two guys one with a 2011 challenger rt who has catback and midpipe as far as i know, he didnt mention a tune but he always gets an 8.99 or higher never seen him lower than that. Another guy has an srt8 which i have never spoken to but he has never ever got anything better than an 8.76, well from what I have seen. Its 1/8. I have raced the rt with my mach on the street and on the track and beat it and we have the same mods which are mid pipe and catback and thats when I had 245s and he had 275s and my best has been an 8.65 with a 2.0 with those 245s, now i got 275s but havent been to the track yet. On the street he hooked a little better but once i got traction I caught up to him and passed him..... To me it seems weird that the srt8 cant do better maybe it needs a driver mod. Oh the rt was an auto.

1bad65 02-19-2013 04:52 PM

Mach, I read that the suspension on the older SRTs was built more for cruising than drag racing and that's why it's not as much faster than the R/T as the numbers would suggest. Also, the auto R/Ts usually run better times than the manual ones.

I've honestly never been really impressed with the R/Ts or the 6.1 SRTs based on the ones I've raced. I've never gotten to run a 6.4 SRT yet though.

TRMach1 02-19-2013 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by 1bad65 (Post 8156925)
Mach, I read that the suspension on the older SRTs was built more for cruising than drag racing and that's why it's not as much faster than the R/T as the numbers would suggest. Also, the auto R/Ts usually run better times than the manual ones.

I've honestly never been really impressed with the R/Ts or the 6.1 SRTs based on the ones I've raced. I've never gotten to run a 6.4 SRT yet though.

Ah ok I guess it makes sense on how poor the srt8 does if that's the case. I'm planning to go this week to the track to try my 275s hopefully I'll see him there and ill try to get it on video or ask the guy what it has.

Since the rt that I raced is an auto I thought it would do better but idk, like i said on the street it takes off on me but I catch up to him and pass him, we never did a roll race because he didn't want to, he said that it would mess up his car (obviously and excuse) he knows if there was traction for me I would beat him pretty good.

Also aren't the 2011s a little better than the 2010 challengers? I heard them saying something about that but I had also read something on it as well.

Oh yeah the 6.4 is a totally different car, haven't raced one of those either but I already know how its going to turn out if I do lol.

drhoward 02-19-2013 05:31 PM

I've driven a 6.4 challenger and it didn't "feel" all that fast, the damn things are the size of a yacht so that might have something to do with the seat of your pants feel in it. Sexy looking cars though

Stone629 02-19-2013 07:07 PM

You guys can't judge those cars (or any car) by some piss poor runs you witnessed at the track. All of the SRT-8s are low 13 cars with decent drivers and high 12 capable. Sure, most blow the tires off, but thats the driver not the car. The R/T Challengers are def mid 13 capable. Next time you line up with any car and demolish it down the strip, have a look at the other car's 60' and that will usually explain everything. I've out ran blown Z06's in my SS, but all that says is that they blew the tires off and gave up....def not worth bringing up later for comparison. I guess my point is this, don't claim certain cars like the R/T Chally are only capable of high 8s or low 14s/high 13s because you saw one or ten run said ET on a 2.3-2.4 60'. Find me one that ran in decent air, an ok 2.0 sixty, no short or missed shifts, and then we can talk.

TRMach1 02-19-2013 07:33 PM

Well the rt challenger that i have ran does get 1.9-2.2 60ft times. I have seen them run like 100 times. The srt8 once ran like 30 times in a row (two different drivers both same times) yes thats possible at our track, it doesn't get full and I have done it myself. I never said that they are slow I clearly said it was weird that the srt8 ran so bad. Now the rt, idk about that one, its an auto so he cannot miss any gears all he needs to do is launch right. I honestly don't know the DA i never look at that but our track is called immokalee regional raceway if anyone wants to look it up. For some reason it seems like cars here tend to run slower than they should or almost no one can drive, i guess its the humidity or the track prep but new 5.0s are around 8.3-8.5 around 85mph on average.

Stone629 02-19-2013 09:10 PM

There should be a 5-6 tenth difference between the 1.9 60' and 2.2 60'. Curious what he did on that 1.9.

The crowd at the track I run at usually allows for hot lapping too. I just never do that cause the ETs usually just get worse and worse running that hard. I try to allow for at least 45 minutes between runs. Partly to save the trans, and secondly to improve ET. Those guys probably hit a wall after the 3rd run. I know Fla can get pretty rough in the DA department. Humidity is a killer too...either way, they ran what they ran, but in some good cool 500' DA those cars can run alright for what they weigh. I would never buy one with the intentions of running faster than a low 12 (SRT) or higher 12s with an RT. Some typical mods/tires ought to put either of those cars in that territory, but any faster would run into too much money...for me anyway.

TRMach1 02-19-2013 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by Stone629 (Post 8157154)
There should be a 5-6 tenth difference between the 1.9 60' and 2.2 60'. Curious what he did on that 1.9.

The crowd at the track I run at usually allows for hot lapping too. I just never do that cause the ETs usually just get worse and worse running that hard. I try to allow for at least 45 minutes between runs. Partly to save the trans, and secondly to improve ET. Those guys probably hit a wall after the 3rd run. I know Fla can get pretty rough in the DA department. Humidity is a killer too...either way, they ran what they ran, but in some good cool 500' DA those cars can run alright for what they weigh. I would never buy one with the intentions of running faster than a low 12 (SRT) or higher 12s with an RT. Some typical mods/tires ought to put either of those cars in that territory, but any faster would run into too much money...for me anyway.

Same here but i honestly don't know.

Yea everyone including myself love to do that, i like to get my moneys worth even though i know in the long run im just killing my car. Weird thing is my car never gets hot or does worse, now my friends caliber srt4 it will last 3 runs in a row before it starts heating up. Yea hopefully i can go this friday and if i see the guy in the srt8 ill ask him what he has and what are his 60's. Over all the challengers are pretty cool cars and i love the looks of them, I know every car is different as well as every driver but lets say if the challenger that the op raced is comparable to the one i raced and since i beat the challenger would I come close to a bone stock 5.0? I only raced one with full exhaust bama tune and cai which was auto on the street and he got me by like 4-5 cars if im correct.

stealth_GT 02-19-2013 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by TRMach1 (Post 8157059)
For some reason it seems like cars here tend to run slower than they should or almost no one can drive, i guess its the humidity or the track prep but new 5.0s are around 8.3-8.5 around 85mph on average.

It's called torque :D Both the 5.7 and 6.1 make a decent amount of low end torque. With street tires, I'd imagine it being hard to launch even with an auto and 3.06 gears (Typical of RT's/SRT's)

Originally Posted by Stone629 (Post 8157154)

I would never buy one with the intentions of running faster than a low 12 (SRT) or higher 12s with an RT. Some typical mods/tires ought to put either of those cars in that territory, but any faster would run into too much money...for me anyway.

Ditto.. first thing I did was focus solely on my 60 fts. when I first got my RT. I knew once I did that, my times would naturally drop :D

They're not bad. The 6.1's can run high 11's with a cam, long tubes, tune and drag radials. The 5.7's are a little tougher to make as quick as the 6.1's but generally they do make a decent amount of power. Their massive weight is a giant drawback, but who can complain about a comfy 2 hour cruise to the track in a sofa? rofl

A few are running 12's flat in the new 392's with just drag radials :D

Most people don't always run drag radials and most people don't know how to launch those things, unfortunately..

S8ER01Z 02-20-2013 07:53 AM

I know a few people with 6.1L SRT8s that ran bottom 13s bone stock here at dova... I'm sure with better air and a better hook they would have been in the 12s. One of the guys (charger srt8) took a cai/predator tune but it ran 12.8 @ 108 on a 1.9 60ft (8.3 @ 86 1/8th).

stealth_GT 02-20-2013 08:49 PM

They're pretty stout cars.. not a lot of younger guys are into them for some reason lol

I wasn't really a fan nor did I know much about them until I got mine , only because it had AWD, a big honkin' V8 and an auto trans rofl... something the competition did not have :D

Lots of younger people liking the new Charger's though. Must be the tail lights!

Stone629 02-20-2013 09:15 PM

In my opinion, Dodge gave everyone exactly what they've been asking for. For years, all I've heard (and bitched about wanting) is for the car companies to bring back the retro look and old school unrefined cars of the past. The only difference is that these new Chally's have some useable brakes and half way controllable suspension, lol. I'd sport one in a heartbeat if I could afford to trade up.....or get another Mach and hit it with a 150 shot. Same difference, lol.

bluebeastsrt 02-20-2013 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by stealth_GT (Post 8158073)
Lots of younger people liking the new Charger's though. Must be the tail lights!

Oggh I hate the new rear end on that car. :icon_spitball:

stealth_GT 02-21-2013 01:04 AM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Stone629 (Post 8158095)
In my opinion, Dodge gave everyone exactly what they've been asking for. For years, all I've heard (and bitched about wanting) is for the car companies to bring back the retro look and old school unrefined cars of the past. The only difference is that these new Chally's have some useable brakes and half way controllable suspension, lol. I'd sport one in a heartbeat if I could afford to trade up.....or get another Mach and hit it with a 150 shot. Same difference, lol.

Ditto.. If I had enough guts to drive RWD up here (again) year round, I'd definitely get a 392 Challenger :D

Even though it's the size of a boat, weighs nearly 5k lbs. and 9 mpg's lol

Originally Posted by bluebeastsrt (Post 8158146)
Oggh I hate the new rear end on that car. :icon_spitball:

That's because you're old :D

JK

I used to really like the new tail lights.. before I owned a 2012 Charger RT...AWD of course.

I got a lot of attention since they were still very new up here. Either the middle finger (wtf?!) or a wave. Either way, I got tired of the attention (low key guy and all), so a I traded it in. Been much happier since!
:icon_toast:

Attachment 67067

Attachment 67068

72MachOne99GT 02-21-2013 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by stealth_GT (Post 8158073)
They're pretty stout cars.. not a lot of younger guys are into them for some reason lol

I wasn't really a fan nor did I know much about them until I got mine , only because it had AWD, a big honkin' V8 and an auto trans rofl... something the competition did not have :D

If you're talking about owning etc... I'd imagine it has a lot to do with price.

If you're just speaking about interest and liking them, they're pretty popular across the board in my area.