The Racers Bench Is the track just too much for you? Want to know what will beat what? Talk about it here!!

Might have to pull my tranny before spring arrives....

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2014, 09:44 PM
Explosive

Yea ive always heard great things. I gave him as much info as i could about my setup and i was guessing id be suggested 3500-3800. He also mentioned that converter would drive great on the street with the 4.10s which i wanted.
Old 02-10-2014, 10:13 PM
ctgreddy
6th Gear Member

So are you gonna go ahead and do it all this winter? From the way it looks we're gonna have quite a bit more of this winter weather so you got plenty of time lol.
Old 02-11-2014, 06:53 AM
Explosive

Im thinking i might as well. I gotta get the hoist set up though. Its been too damn cold. Im having someone i know come do the rear axle in the car. So only things i had planned were the fuel pump the BAP and line lock/brake job. I might as well do this too lol.
Old 02-11-2014, 01:57 PM
Explosive

Hmm, lidio has suggested holding off on the converter for now.
Old 02-11-2014, 06:20 PM
ctgreddy
6th Gear Member

Why? that man makes some very strange suggestions sometimes.
Old 02-11-2014, 07:24 PM
Explosive

Originally Posted by ctgreddy
Why? that man makes some very strange suggestions sometimes.

I will agree i was a bit taken back myself. However i dont know if youve ever really spoken with him in peron but you can tell hes very passionate about his line of work and has a ton of knowledge. Strange or not he can always back up his suggestions with examples and i listen to what he has to say considering his knowledge. His own mach was in the 10s on a stock converter and even mentioned when he swaps big twin screw cars to an automatic he runs a oem mach converter. Mauraders ect. The man has tons of dohc experience so ill follow his suggestion for now he insists he can make the car work great with whats in it. And favors the 4.10s. He made a good point that itd been a little better with a dry kit had i wanted to hit it on the line.
Old 02-11-2014, 08:43 PM
ctgreddy
6th Gear Member

He might have been in the 10's on a stock converter but probably would have been faster if he had a better converter in it. Mach's are saposedly the best oem converters but I dont see how it'd be anywhere close to a good circle d. He sounds a lot like my boss, very stubborn and only suggests things they've seen work even tho something else may be better.
Old 02-11-2014, 09:06 PM
Explosive

I have similar thoughts but he does have an assload of experience with them. So ill take his advice and hold off and see how it does running the 100 shot. I need to watch my track videos i want to see where this stock converter is flashing
Old 02-11-2014, 09:38 PM
ctgreddy
6th Gear Member

Your cars gonna be a lot more stout even with the stock converter, the gears will help get it off the line and the real shot will keep it going. Are you gonna spray it right off the line? IMO it'll still run good but not as good as it could.
Old 02-11-2014, 10:09 PM
Explosive

Spraying off the line is what initially got me interested in the converter. As of now I'm spraying at 3000rpm and honestly i'm quite Leary of going any lower on the hit. On the dyno when we tried the 100 shot fuel pressure dropped all the way down to 12 psi and he said it had backfired but luckily not through the intake. I was standing behind the car. It wasnt a typical loud backfire it just stumbled hard on the initial hit when it tried to compensate for fuel but could not (pump was at 80% on motor) You could get the rpms come up it hit 3000 sprayed, stumbled and wham it took off like crazy, continued lean he got out of it early for obvious reasons. By that runs numbers it appears ill make decent numbers with proper fuel and a full run. It was making over 450 ft lbs on that try and it went to 4400 rpm before he aborted it.

My home internet connection is being terrible right now but id upload the video if it wasnt. Now ive watched some old racing in car videos. It appears the car will flash the converter in the 2500-2800 range. I felt i wasnt hitting my window on last trip to the track because i'd launch and suddenly, maybe two cars out id feel and surge in power ( assuming the very small shot) but I'm starting to think that it might have just been getting into its power. My 60' had stayed the same as before so i assumed i was spraying just past the 60' beams but after watching the videos im starting to wonder if that was really the case.

Car went lean on the 100, then still a little too lean on the 50 shot so we calculated a lower amount and going by my tq numbers im guessing it was approx a 25 shot. So im hoping the 4.10s and a good 100 shot will get it off its *** and rolling out. I am sick of the 2.0 60' times. But flashing at 2500 rpm picks up quick with the 4.10s id think i should be hitting my 3000 rpm quickly.

So id like to spray off the line but i dont want to spray too low in the rpms i dont want to puddle in the intake.

Quick Reply: Might have to pull my tranny before spring arrives....