Tuner Central Have a question about which hand tuner is best for your Mustang? Talk about it here!

Got my tuna

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2014, 07:05 PM
jester0618
1st Gear Member

Default Got my tuna

I got my tuner today and the steeda intake. Tomorrow I'll be installing everything but am hoping for any last minute tidbits of help.

I have been using mid grade gas (prob only 89) and the station I go to only goes to 91. I know I shouldn't install the race tune but would I be ok running the 91 performance with 89 in it now? If not, how many tanks should I run before installing the tune?

AM and Bama did the tune based on my yet to be installed intake so I am hoping for the best out of the economy tune unless the performance(91) can be used.

Any thoughts?
Old 03-13-2014, 08:41 PM
steel pony
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jester0618
I got my tuner today and the steeda intake. Tomorrow I'll be installing everything but am hoping for any last minute tidbits of help.

I have been using mid grade gas (prob only 89) and the station I go to only goes to 91. I know I shouldn't install the race tune but would I be ok running the 91 performance with 89 in it now? If not, how many tanks should I run before installing the tune?

AM and Bama did the tune based on my yet to be installed intake so I am hoping for the best out of the economy tune unless the performance(91) can be used.

Any thoughts?

Am i reading this right?
You have a STEEDA CAI and a tuner, but the tunes are written for the stock engine?

If this is the case, then you won't be able to:
1) install the CAI without new tunes
2) install the current tunes with the new CAI

The Steeda CAI is a "tune required" modification, which means that your ECM will be reading too much air from MAF sensor due to the bigger inlet tube on the CAI. This will throw lean/rich codes since the ECM will not be able to compensate.

Call AM and have them send you new tunes and while you are waiting, go burn thru whats left of that tank of 89
Old 03-14-2014, 04:10 AM
jester0618
1st Gear Member

The tunes are written for the engine with the CAI. I just assumed that it was with the CAI using any of the 3 fuel level. Based on your post, I'm guessing that is not the case.
Old 03-14-2014, 07:45 AM
2007StangV6
2nd Gear Member

Don't run your 91 tune if you have 89 gas in your tank. Before I got my tunes, I was running 87. When I ordered my tuner, I ran my last tank of 87 down to a 1/4 tank and filled it with 93. Then I ran down again to a 1/4, filled it back up. Did that one more time before I uploaded my 93 tune.

Any reason you don't want to run the race tune? I've been running mine since I got my tuner, over a year now, and haven't had one issue with it.
Old 03-14-2014, 09:08 AM
jester0618
1st Gear Member

I didn't think the race tune would be good for my driving style. I do a lot of around town driving, DD, that sort of thing. Guess I just figured that it was more than I needed but was there if I wanted it.
Old 03-14-2014, 09:15 AM
AMDanBailer
Former Sponsor

Any thoughts?

Hey,

Congratulations on your new tuner! I am sure you will love it.

To answer your questions, I would not program the vehicle with the new tune until you have the mods the tune is written for installed. Particularly on these new coyotes, the mass air meters and computers are extremely sensitive to changes, and require the mods to match the tune.

I personally would drive the car to near empty and refill with all 91. Then you should be safe to go put the intake on, and install the tune. It is always safe to run higher octane, but would never recommend running lower.

I hope this helps, and if you have any other questions, feel free to get back in touch with myself or our Bama team. Good luck and enjoy!

-Dan
Old 03-14-2014, 09:44 AM
2007StangV6
2nd Gear Member

I didn't think the race tune would be good for my driving style. I do a lot of around town driving, DD, that sort of thing. Guess I just figured that it was more than I needed but was there if I wanted it.
Gotcha. Makes sense. My car is a DD, but whenever I can, I like to get on it. Having the 93 tune on the car at all times is nice. You should at least give it a try.

Only time I ever have to take it off is when I am getting an inspection.
Old 03-14-2014, 10:08 AM
jester0618
1st Gear Member

For me, I'd have to find a station around that sells 93. I guess time to search.