Tuner Central Have a question about which hand tuner is best for your Mustang? Talk about it here!

Throttle problems after BAMA tune

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2016, 08:20 PM
S550GT

Default Throttle problems after BAMA tune

After installing a C&L Racer CAI with a BAMA 93 octane tune, I've been having intermittent throttle response problems. Sometimes acceleration is milder than it should be for the accelerator position; other times I step on the accelerator and get no response at all. It mostly happens in third gear or higher. Feathering the gas once or twice after the hesitation helps.
I have a support message in to BAMA and I'm waiting to hear back.
The car is a 2015 GT Premium with performance pack. No other mods besides the CAI.
Old 11-24-2016, 05:19 PM
UVAGT

Default I'm having the same exact issue

I have the same car and recently installed the C&L Race CAI and I'm having the same issue with the limiter kicking in at acceleration in 3rd and 4th gear around 2800 rpm and stays stuck until I pump the accelerator 3 or 4 times. This issue is present in all 3 Bama tunes sent for the CAI; the 87 Performance, 93 Race, and the 93 ghost cam.
The problem does not exist with the stock tune.
I've been working with Bama, they've sent me 3 different sets of tunes and none of them made a difference.
Yesterday, they had me perform a datalog for Idle, Step, and Cruise. I sent them the datalog and I'm hoping to hear back from them tomorrow.
Strange thing is, the extra power with the new tune is there and I can feel it at the wheels until the limiter kicks in.
I also love the way the car sounds.
Has anyone figured this issue out?
Old 11-28-2016, 05:59 PM
UVAGT

Default BAMA solved the issue!

Well, It's been a few weeks now of going back and forth working with BAMA to get it dialed in but I now have a tune that works.

The problem was to much torque and that was setting off a limiter. Luis Ortiz from Bama started working with me after I performed a Datalog for them and he found the issue. All together I think I went through 6 different attempts at a tune before Luis and found the solution. The car now runs strong through all the gears without hesitation or getting stuck on the limiter.

I know that if I had the car in their shop, this would have been done in an afternoon but having to do this over email and around my work schedule it took several weeks.

I learned a lot about tunes through it all and also learned how to perform a datalog, something I hope I never have to do again. I think I drove my neighbors crazy with the constant starting and test driving at all hours.
Old 11-28-2016, 10:38 PM
S550GT

That is great news! I still haven't heard back from BAMA so I sent another ticket. Maybe they'll be able to send me the same corrected tune and save time. Meanwhile I'm running the factory tune.
Thanks for the update!
Old 11-29-2016, 08:08 AM
UVAGT

Default Give BAMA a call, they respond quick.

Give Bama a call and ask for Luis, 1 (888) 257-1770.
Old 11-29-2016, 05:08 PM
Coosawjack
2nd Gear Member

Not sure if it's the same problem but I had erratic throttle with the BAMA "Race Tune" and went back to the "Performance Tune" to correct it!!

Seems the "Race Tune" is geared to......Racing.......WOT for Drag Racing!!
Old 11-29-2016, 09:35 PM
S550GT

I called and got to speak with a Shawn Fisher. He reviewed my tune and discovered the CAI wasn't included in the tune and sent me a corrected tune, along with instructions to perform a KAM
Old 11-29-2016, 09:44 PM
S550GT

I called 888-257-1770 and got to speak with a Shawn Fisher. He reviewed my original tune and discovered the CAI wasn't included in the tune parameters so he sent me a corrected tune, along with instructions to perform a KAM reset. He said if I still had issues he would escalate to Luis. Well the symptoms continue so I performed the idle, step, and cruise datalogs and submitted the results. Hopefully they'll get this resolved soon.
Old 11-29-2016, 10:04 PM
S550GT

Originally Posted by Coosawjack
Not sure if it's the same problem but I had erratic throttle with the BAMA "Race Tune" and went back to the "Performance Tune" to correct it!!

Seems the "Race Tune" is geared to......Racing.......WOT for Drag Racing!!
The BAMA rep told me every mustang will vary in its requirements. My tune is "only" a performance tune, so if it really is a torque limiter issue I would guess they're probably having even more heartburn with the race tunes.
Old 11-30-2016, 05:20 PM
S550GT

Thumbs up Fixed!

I worked with Luis Ortiz from Bama today and we seem to have the problem resolved.

At first he sent a "Base 93" tune, which ran without issues. This was followed by a new tune that was tweaked for a little more top end power.

Really happy with the new sound and responsiveness!