V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters
Old 10-27-2015, 11:15 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine and Powertrain
Print Wikipost

Full Throttle - 99-04 throttle cable adjustment/fix

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2007, 11:24 AM
86 5.0L
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Full Throttle - 99-04 throttle cable adjustment/fix

anybody do this on a fox? I was under there but couldnt see the top of the pedal, theres a plate blocking everything. Im thinking I have to remove the center console

Old 08-31-2007, 04:18 AM
johnmvtv
2nd Gear Member

will this work on a 2002 gt?
Old 08-31-2007, 10:54 AM
Jefferson

I don't know if the slack is different on the GT, if you gas pedal is low they I would assume yes.
Old 09-02-2007, 08:22 PM
jmonty
1st Gear Member

thank you for this article! i didn't even notice the problem until i happened across this write up! ty ty !

the plastic hose i used was too weak, even after i double stacked it, so i had to get a 3rd hose clamp to put in the middle, and now it is perfect. total cost to fix: $2.70 and a few mins work.
Old 09-04-2007, 03:23 PM
LaStang04

double checked my 04 throttle body position with the pedal to the floor with out the mod, butterfly is fully open . Only change to mine this mod will make is to raise the pedal. I checked it after the mod, pedal is alot higher but when pressed to WOT i'm putting all the bind on the cable . The pedal isnt touching the carpet anymore at WOT. I'll either adjust a pedal stop to save my cable from breaking or put it back like it was, no need to risk it breaking the cable with my lead foot.
Old 10-14-2007, 04:57 PM
smokin91

I just did this on my 02 GT and used abouta 5/8" long spacer held on with 1 hose clamp. I like the pedal position way better now. It took up about 3/4 of the slack in the cable if I went anymore the gas pedal seemed too high.

Excellant free mod, my pedal is now ergonomically correct.
Old 10-15-2007, 12:44 AM
drdetroit58

Okay gents, go out to your junk drawer in the kitchen and get that cheap bic pen someone gave you, take it apart and use that "nylon tube". Cut it one inch, you don't need it any longer than that, cut the slit, unhook the cable at the engine to let out the slack, slide it on and clamp it. Rehook the cable at the engine and your finished, total time is about 10 minutes and cost is nothing if you use the zip ties you already have laying around. I wouldn't bother with hose clamps, I mean after all what is there to worry about the zips slipping, you've already removed the slack so there is no where for them to slip of to.Besides if your still worried use three or four of them.
Old 10-15-2007, 12:52 AM
FBCBEER
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: drdetroit58

Okay gents, go out to your junk drawer in the kitchen and get that cheap bic pen someone gave you, take it apart and use that "nylon tube". Cut it one inch, you don't need it any longer than that, cut the slit, unhook the cable at the engine to let out the slack, slide it on and clamp it. Rehook the cable at the engine and your finished, total time is about 10 minutes and cost is nothing if you use the zip ties you already have laying around. I wouldn't bother with hose clamps, I mean after all what is there to worry about the zips slipping, you've already removed the slack so there is no where for them to slip of to.Besides if your still worried use three or four of them.
feel like adding any pics of the engine what youre exactly talking about?

Old 10-15-2007, 11:21 AM
MUSTANG042004
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: FBCBEER

ORIGINAL: drdetroit58

feel like adding any pics of the engine what youre exactly talking about?

I know what is he talking about .[sm=dontgetit.gif]
Old 12-03-2007, 10:22 PM
d4rken

I did this and i guess i sort of botched the first install, it works great but i looked down there and the tubing is slipping... will fix tomorrow. I read that a clamp of some sort could be used instead of a spacer to prevent any chance of that endcap popping off... any idea what to use?

Quick Reply: Full Throttle - 99-04 throttle cable adjustment/fix