V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

will 4.0 heads fit a 3.8

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2006, 01:31 PM
mustangman02232
6th Gear Member

Default RE: will 4.0 heads fit a 3.8

ORIGINAL: tims 88 4

im runnin 2700 rpm at 80mph already and only gettin between 18-20 mpg anyways could it be possible that i already have 4.10s in the car and not know it
dont know aboot 4.10s but you mite have gear work, are you still open diff or do you leve 2 burnout marks
Old 11-02-2006, 02:31 PM
Jugador
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Clif Brohn

The 4.0L Cologne engine is modular, the 3.8/3.9/4.2L Essex is pushrod. Basically, we have one cam in the center of the block, the 4.0L has one cam in each head.
overhead cam does not mean it's modular, modular engines are called so because they have many interchangeable parts (the 4.6, 5.4, and 6.8 v10 are all modular motors).

rustangman, why is it you would recommend a tune before getting 4.10's? if it's for any reason other than speedometer correction, you'd have to try really hard to convince me of the point on a stock motor.

if you want to find out what gears you have, find a gear calculator online, there are plenty of them, and many are mustang specific so it will be able to tell you your transmission gearing

if you want an easy way to see if you have limited slip, raise up the back end of the car while it's in neutral and spin one of your tires. if both spin the same way, congrats, you have limited slip. if they spin opposite ways, it's an open diff.

to be quite frank, there is a lot of either bull**** or half witted information going on in here, some of it derived from profit motive ...i would think hard about anything you're told here. if you don't have much of a budget, then maybe you should just save up and make sure that what you're getting is going to be worth it and is what YOU really want, not a waste of money that someone else told you to get cause you didnt know any better
Old 11-02-2006, 02:44 PM
mustangman02232
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Jugador

The 4.0L Cologne engine is modular, the 3.8/3.9/4.2L Essex is pushrod. Basically, we have one cam in the center of the block, the 4.0L has one cam in each head.
overhead cam does not mean it's modular, modular engines are called so because they have many interchangeable parts (the 4.6, 5.4, and 6.8 v10 are all modular motors).

rustangman, why is it you would recommend a tune before getting 4.10's? if it's for any reason other than speedometer correction, you'd have to try really hard to convince me of the point on a stock motor.

if you want to find out what gears you have, find a gear calculator online, there are plenty of them, and many are mustang specific so it will be able to tell you your transmission gearing

if you want an easy way to see if you have limited slip, raise up the back end of the car while it's in neutral and spin one of your tires. if both spin the same way, congrats, you have limited slip. if they spin opposite ways, it's an open diff.

to be quite frank, there is a lot of either bull**** or half witted information going on in here, some of it derived from profit motive ...i would think hard about anything you're told here. if you don't have much of a budget, then maybe you should just save up and make sure that what you're getting is going to be worth it and is what YOU really want, not a waste of money that someone else told you to get cause you didnt know any better
you need a tune to correct the speedo, the speed cal wont work on our cars, plus it allows limiters and other stuff to be changed, or you could by the combo kit from american muscle with the gears and tuner then just get a LSD
Old 11-02-2006, 04:22 PM
jthorn9
The Godfather

Thank you for pointing out the obvious again, it's about time somebody stood up and started to point out these major issues with the forum.[sm=smiley32.gif]
Old 11-02-2006, 10:11 PM
Clif Brohn
5th Gear Member

You jumped the gun Juggy. I didnt say OHC was strictly modular, i just said the 4.0L Cologne engine was modular. Which I believe it is. I could be wrong, but i was under the impression ford stopped making non-modular engines when they stopped production of the Essex. There was an OHC 427 in the '60s. It was pretty sweet if you ask me.

EDIT: Nope, i was mistaken. The 4.0L cologne in the S197 is just an OHC derivative of the '90s/early 2000s pushrod cologne motors. My bad, Everyone please take note of what i just did, its OK to be wrong
Old 11-02-2006, 10:17 PM
Clif Brohn
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jthorn9

Thank you for pointing out the obvious again, it's about time somebody stood up and started to point out these major issues with the forum.[sm=smiley32.gif]

Considering most of the bull is from you.....wait, who said that?

Old 11-02-2006, 10:20 PM
mustangman02232
6th Gear Member

You jumped the gun Juggy. I didnt say OHC was strictly modular, i just said the 4.0L Cologne engine was modular. Which I believe it is. I could be wrong, but i was under the impression ford stopped making non-modular engines when they stopped production of the Essex. There was an OHC 427 in the '60s. It was pretty sweet if you ask me.

EDIT: Nope, i was mistaken. The 4.0L cologne in the S197 is just an OHC derivative of the '90s/early 2000s pushrod cologne motors. My bad, Everyone please take note of what i just did, its OK to be wrong
actually it was part of the V-6 in the pinto from the 70, it was just converted to OHC in the late 90s
Old 11-02-2006, 10:32 PM
Jugador
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jthorn9

Considering most of the bull is from you.....wait, who said that?

well since you already said it...i was thinking the same thing when i saw that post.
Old 11-03-2006, 12:25 AM
tims 88 4
4th Gear Member

nope i dont have a lsd i have a single tire fryer and at 80 i am turning between 2250-2300 rpm