V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

Cheap Mods??

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2004, 10:05 PM
Facs24Dave

Default Cheap Mods??

I saw a post with cheap mods, but they didn't seem that cheap. Right now I got a 2002 Coupe, bone stock except for a new Air filter without the stock housing. I am running it currently without the muffler for sound. I like the sound of it but I want performance. Any ideas on how to keep the deep sound of straight pipes but have performance for a somewhat low price? Any ideas on what the best chips are for the 3.8, and what I would need to pay for one? Any other ideas please lmk-Dave
Old 08-27-2004, 12:34 AM
mustangjohn
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Cheap Mods??

hey man i'm john, in murfreesboro Tn. If your looking for performance it's not gonna come cheap but i do have some suggestions. as for chips,a diablosport delta flip chip is pretty good i don't know what they cost right off hand but, you can still run 87 octane fuel and that would be good, because some chips require that you run 92 octane and w/ gas prices where they're at, i'd stay w/ the 87! you could also go w/ fordchip, go to fordchip.com!
airfilters: K&N all the way yes they are a bit exspensive but they are high performance and last quite a while! you can also go w/ cold air kits, short throw shift kits and a bit of other stuff. as far as exhaust, i'd go w/ the mac v6 h pipe, it's a direct bolt on and easy to install! they just go right where the old one did. it sounds great and increases performance.
you could also easily go w/ a super charger, they are a bit pricy but if you get one then get the vortech v-2 get, you get all bolt ons and every thing you need in the kit and you easily, can gain, 70 - 80 (278) horses those run about 5,000, the procharger can give you up to 345 ponies but it costs more and you have to buy fuel pumps, injectors, bracketry, replacement chip etc. that would probabaly run you about 7-9 thousand, if you need anything else just email me at johnwsix@bellsouth.net thanx hope i was of some help
Old 08-27-2004, 02:37 PM
Finally a 5.0
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mustangjohn

hey man i'm john, in murfreesboro Tn. If your looking for performance it's not gonna come cheap but i do have some suggestions. as for chips,a diablosport delta flip chip is pretty good i don't know what they cost right off hand but, you can still run 87 octane fuel and that would be good, because some chips require that you run 92 octane and w/ gas prices where they're at, i'd stay w/ the 87! you could also go w/ fordchip, go to fordchip.com!
airfilters: K&N all the way yes they are a bit exspensive but they are high performance and last quite a while! you can also go w/ cold air kits, short throw shift kits and a bit of other stuff. as far as exhaust, i'd go w/ the mac v6 h pipe, it's a direct bolt on and easy to install! they just go right where the old one did. it sounds great and increases performance.
you could also easily go w/ a super charger, they are a bit pricy but if you get one then get the vortech v-2 get, you get all bolt ons and every thing you need in the kit and you easily, can gain, 70 - 80 (278) horses those run about 5,000, the procharger can give you up to 345 ponies but it costs more and you have to buy fuel pumps, injectors, bracketry, replacement chip etc. that would probabaly run you about 7-9 thousand, if you need anything else just email me at johnwsix@bellsouth.net thanx hope i was of some help
you can get a procharger set up easily for under $5000, and a vortech for about $3500
Old 08-28-2004, 11:07 AM
mustangjohn
1st Gear Member

yes that was my mistake after I posted i saw some of the prices in a magazine, i'm sorry. keep in touch on how you mod your mustang.
Old 09-02-2004, 08:52 PM
Facs24Dave

I appreciate all the imput. I had to get all new brakes which cost 435$ so I am deffinately low on cash. But b-day is in a week. I wil keep you guys updated.
Old 09-02-2004, 10:37 PM
mustangjohn
1st Gear Member

ok, cool! depending on what kind of brakes you got ofcourse, but those could definately help if your gonna have some EXTRA ponies in your stang!
Old 09-03-2004, 02:34 AM
matthockey32
I ♥ Acer

a company called spintech makes an x-pipe for the v6. i have modded my v6 to put over 230 hp in NA form on stock internals with a stock cam. i just put a new cam in and it boosted power by quite a bit though i do not know exact numbers yet.