V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

Need your guidance / advice... (please? lol)

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2006, 07:52 PM
mustangman02232
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Need your guidance / advice... (please? lol)

nvm delete this
Old 12-10-2006, 07:54 PM
Chevelle2Go

insurance and gas prices are the least of my worries. I have a good job and not only that (hate to say this lol but since I'm still in college...) I live with my parents and they help me out with stuff like that if I'm short (like giving me gas money and paying my insurance if i need it) So basically I'm saying should I trade for the v6 in nice shape or is the chevelle worth more and should I try to put it in the autotrader for a lil while and see if i can sell it? (if so any suggestions on price range?, sorry I wasn't into cars until my father gave me the chevelle, so I'm learning as I go, I'm told it's worth somewhere around 6500-7500 and the rear end is worth somewhere around 650-850. That is if i sold them seperate, but thats just what im told. Like i said im new to the car thing......But i'm learning, and liking it! lol.

P.S. Do you think anyone would trade me a GT 5spd Convertible for the chevelle?
Old 12-10-2006, 07:55 PM
mustangman02232
6th Gear Member

if you want to learn more about it check out 3.8mustang.com and v6power.net they will help you out alot more
Old 12-10-2006, 08:22 PM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: Chevelle2Go

insurance and gas prices are the least of my worries. I have a good job and not only that (hate to say this lol but since I'm still in college...) I live with my parents and they help me out with stuff like that if I'm short (like giving me gas money and paying my insurance if i need it) So basically I'm saying should I trade for the v6 in nice shape or is the chevelle worth more and should I try to put it in the autotrader for a lil while and see if i can sell it? (if so any suggestions on price range?, sorry I wasn't into cars until my father gave me the chevelle, so I'm learning as I go, I'm told it's worth somewhere around 6500-7500 and the rear end is worth somewhere around 650-850. That is if i sold them seperate, but thats just what im told. Like i said im new to the car thing......But i'm learning, and liking it! lol.

It's possible, but you'll probably end up giving them $$ to complete the deal.

mustangman, the 3.8's aren't any stronger. They can't handle 400+RWHP like a 2v 4.6 with a good tune can. I don't quite understand your logic. Especially when it's much cheaper (bang for your buck wise) with a 2v 4.6 than a OHV 3.8.

Let's put it like this, ignoring the purchase price of a car. a 99+ GT vs a 99+ 3.8 = which one will get into the low 13's cheaper? The 99+ GT. Which one will handle 400HP as reliable as possible on stock internals? The 99+ GT.

While everyone has budgets, sometimes a V8 just isn't in the picture and you have to make do with what you have, perfectly understandable. However, it doesn't sound like this kid is restricted to a V6 and if he enjoys a V8's HP/TQ, he'll never be satisfied with a V6, especially when it comes to spending major bucks on a power adder just to break 13's.
Old 12-10-2006, 08:23 PM
cobra232
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Jugador

no offense to any of you closed minded 3.8 fanboys here with absolutely no modding experience *cough* mustangman *cough* (while dan has modded a 4.6 2v and 4v), but you guys are retarded if you think a 3.8 is going to be anywhere near a better bang for the buck compared to a pi 4.6. you talk about people with supercoupe swaps running 14.1's, but people can run that stock in a new edge without having to do complicated engine swaps. 4.6's generally get better gas mileage than 3.8's so that excuse is shot. rods mains crank and block don't mean **** on a 4.6 or 5.0 till you're in excess of 500 horsepower. head out to the track and i bet you'll find a 4.6 or 5.0 with that amount of horsepower. search through 10 mustang magazines and you may find a couple sixers running that much. if the 3.8 is so god damn great then why are there so many more of them in existence and so much less aftermarket?
because america has the V8 or it's crap mentality. don't see much turbo buick aftermarket stuff either do ya but that doesn't mean it isn't worth modding. and please don tell me there is more buick stuff than ford because there really isn't unless you have the money for an aluminum stage II TA block and heads

all three are good engines but i disagreewith the 4.6 getting better mileage than a 3.8. my 98 gets 26.5 on the highway with the procharger and 3.73's. my 99 GT vert does about 24mpg on the same trip. stock my 98 was getting about 29mpg on the highway.

a 98 V6 premium Vert is a nice car and very reliable. it's not worth the money to swap in a PI GT engine and only to make 220rwhp. hell for the same money an 11 psi procharger on a 98 will out pull a stock 99+ 9 times out of 10. a 98 with a TMA turbo from www.tmaturbo.com will give 250rwhp/310ftlbs at just 8.5 psi and is far better than swapping in a PI 4.6 for the same money

again for those that don't know and think it's a waste to mod a v6 tell that to turbo buick guys after they just stomped your terminator with 231 cubic inches which the ford was copied from
Old 12-10-2006, 08:25 PM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: xX98StallionXx
and how does a car with 8 cyl get better gas mileage than a car with 6? I
I know how it does, but I'm more curious to hear if you can explain why you think it doesn't?
Old 12-10-2006, 08:33 PM
Chevelle2Go

guys I wasn't trying to start an arguement lol I'm sorry, and it's gotten a little off topic too. I was really just trying to find out what the car was worth cause everyone has told me my chevelle the way it is would go for no less than 7500. Also, I just talked to my brother (he's the car guy, I do the computers and he does the cars) He said he could find me a 95 (same body style different tail lights) 5.0 mustang for around 4500 to 5500 and then help me do the work adding aftermarket stuff to it. So please dont argue and get mad on my behalf guys. I do appreciate everyones opinion but you guys are suppose to be on the same side cause a mustang is still a mustang... remember that! lol. Thanks again everyone. I'll let everyone know how it goes selling my car then if I get a mustang I'll be sure to keep everyone updated on parts / paint / pics. I'll be reading on the forums still for ideas but i've usually been more of a reader than poster. THANK YOU EVERYONE )
Old 12-10-2006, 08:35 PM
mustangman02232
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Dan04COBRA

ORIGINAL: xX98StallionXx
and how does a car with 8 cyl get better gas mileage than a car with 6? I
I know how it does, but I'm more curious to hear if you can explain why you think it doesn't?
right foot, more power to move the same waight, i know all that, my buddies 99 gets better milage with 4.10s then mine does stock
Old 12-10-2006, 08:43 PM
mustangman02232
6th Gear Member

mustangman, the 3.8's aren't any stronger. They can't handle 400+RWHP like a 2v 4.6 with a good tune can. I don't quite understand your logic. Especially when it's much cheaper (bang for your buck wise) with a 2v 4.6 than a OHV 3.8.

Let's put it like this, ignoring the purchase price of a car. a 99+ GT vs a 99+ 3.8 = which one will get into the low 13's cheaper? The 99+ GT. Which one will handle 400HP as reliable as possible on stock internals? The 99+ GT.
stock block, crank, rods, pistons, heads cam, running 17 psi click here
Matt Neuthart, 800 HP, first 9 second mustang, stock block and crank, click here

ignoring purchase price, a mach will get you there faster then either, so will a cobra, so will a vette, so will an ls1 or an lt1 even, so will a porsche, so will a ferrari, so will a lambo, so will a bugatti

i respect you as a mod and for your knowlage of the 4.6s, (and even fbodys) but some people really need to do more research on the 3.8s
Old 12-10-2006, 08:51 PM
cobra232
5th Gear Member

It's possible, but you'll probably end up giving them $$ to complete the deal.

While everyone has budgets, sometimes a V8 just isn't in the picture and you have to make do with what you have, perfectly understandable. However, it doesn't sound like this kid is restricted to a V6 and if he enjoys a V8's HP/TQ, he'll never be satisfied with a V6, especially when it comes to spending major bucks on a power adder just to break 13's.
you are misinformed about the 3.8
taken from www.tmaturbo.com
4/13/06 - J's twin kit makes a new best of 12.1 at 110 mph trap with a 1.8 60ft. Only changes made was switching over to 18" rims with drag radials. Congrats to J's new best on a street driven pump gas driven stang. Timeslip on dyno page.

background on J's car. it a 99+ 3.8 with a TMA twin kit on an internally stock engine making 381rwhp as a daily driver at 12.2 psi and weighs 3800lbs curb weight. total cost of getting into the 12's about $5000. there are many others at the same or better level on stock engines with the 3.8. it's an extremely strong design. the 4.6 is strong no doubt but the 3.8 is well worth modding. it doesn't cost that much to mod the 3.8 like you assume. it costs about the same as a 4.6 to mod or a tad cheaper.

let me ask you this. have you ever ebuilt a 3.8 let alone turned a wrench on one??? do you know the ford 3.8's design heretage which makes it an excellent platform for modding. it doesn't seem like you do. not trying to knock you but the 3.8 is everybit as worthy for modding as a 5.0 or any 2V 4.6

also how can you ignore the initial cost of the car??? that's just absurd

Quick Reply: Need your guidance / advice... (please? lol)