V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

honeycomb crap.........

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2007, 10:40 PM
amrcnidyot
6th Gear Member

Default RE: honeycomb crap.........

ORIGINAL: silverstang18

dam man you thought it out i might try that but i am not sure if i am brave enough but i would really like to have that it would be cool esp with a GT hood scoop
it would probably be easier w/o the scoop though. i edited the post above a little about that. w/ the scoop you have almost no room to work with. if you did it just on the stock 6er scoop it would still work just as good and might actually be easier to do. yea i really had it thought out though. i really wanted to but i dont want to spend any more money on it now.
Old 01-21-2007, 10:43 PM
amrcnidyot
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: miamiman23

[blockquote]
ORIGINAL: amrcnidyot

ORIGINAL: miamiman23

youd hook it up to the throttle body with a metal rod or something of that nature. that was a pretty cool idea americanidiot
ithought about that but the throttle body on our car is sideways and the scoop faces forward. i did think about using the cable right to the tb though.
ur right, but isnt that how the old muscle cars had theirs rigged up[/blockquote]
yea, because it was usually a scoop mounted right on the engine and the rod could go directly from the carb to the flap.
i actually got the idea from the new challenger. see! both of those are functionall and open up when the car hits WOT.
Old 01-21-2007, 10:46 PM
silverstang18
I ♥ Acer

would you happen to be willing to sell what you've got and tell me what else i need?
Old 01-21-2007, 10:51 PM
SilvrStang
6th Gear Member

wasnt there a sticky or link on here on How To? get rid of your stock honeycomb??/
Old 01-21-2007, 10:59 PM
amrcnidyot
6th Gear Member

i would...but its in really crappy condition and the brackets are who knows where. all you need to do is go to a harware store and buy some sheet metal. you choose material and thickness. if i did it again i would go semi thik. the thing ive got now is skiny. then buy an aluminum rod of some sort. somethin that is long enough to go from one side of the scoop to the other plus an inch or so. then buy some aluminum or whatever you want to use...aluminum is easy to work with....L shaped pieces. a foot or 2 long would be good. you will need some bolts and stuff but i cant exactly tell you what exactly you need. its all custom stuff. then take the plastic piece outa the scoop and trace it onto the metal. cut that out...you can buy tinsnips really cheap at the hardware store...cut a little smaller than what youve got traced though. then take the length of that and add about a half-3/4 of an inch on each side and cut the aluminum rod to that length. then center the sheetmetal on the rod and mark it. this is where the fun comes in. unless you can figure out a better way to do this or fine a better rod that is pre flattened, you haveto grind and file the rod down form mark to mark..so only where the sheet metal is...flat about halfway down. it takes some time and you have to be kinda carefull. after you did that you should be able to set the sheet metal down into the little recessed area. now..somethin i forgot to tell you to buy....use some hex head or whatevr you want bolts...something that looks nice because everyone will see it...i used chrome head head bolts..they are tiny and cost i think like a buck or buck fifty a piece...it sucks. i used 5 of em but you can use however many you think looks best. with 5 i had one in the middle and they wer all spread out pretty good. so then you need to clap together the sheet metal and rod and mark 5 spots..or however many bolts you want to use....then carefully drill right in the center of the rod at each mark. then get some nuts and tighten down the bolts nice and tight. i actually threaded the rod too so the bolts screwed into the rod then had a nut go over them to hold the sheet metal on. then youve got that part done. you can take some steel wool and rub it on the metal survaces..if you got chrome bolts dont rub it on that....but on everything else it will clean it up good and give it a little bit more of a shine. then its pretty much up to you. everything is just custom mounted and fabbed up from there.
oh yea and the piece i have is my orignial. i made one that was a lot straigher and the edges were more smooth but it go fuked up when i was tryin to figure everything out. that and the one i have, the aluminum rod is broke off right at the sheet metal.
Old 01-21-2007, 11:04 PM
silverstang18
I ♥ Acer

alright i might give it a try its a lot of work though wow...........................
maybe when i have like a full day to goof off i might try to put it together .. someone should like make a kit for that sort of thing ......
Old 01-21-2007, 11:39 PM
amrcnidyot
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: silverstang18

alright i might give it a try its a lot of work though wow...........................
maybe when i have like a full day to goof off i might try to put it together .. someone should like make a kit for that sort of thing ......
i actually thought of that. if i got it to work out perfectly and i got all the little bugs out i could either start makin em and sellin them or i could get a pattent and sell it to a company or some sort.
Old 01-21-2007, 11:44 PM
SilvrStang
6th Gear Member

And how d **** do u take off a bottom of the stock grill it pissed me off and I hit the plastic panel above the grill and broke it out of anger lol and now i gota buy a new one,crap!
Old 01-21-2007, 11:49 PM
silverstang18
I ♥ Acer

there are little bolts that hold on the brackets you have to slightly lift up on the bumper and get the right socket i forgot what size but its small and remove them from the underneath
Old 01-21-2007, 11:50 PM
amrcnidyot
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SilvrStang

And how d **** do u take off a bottom of the stock grill it pissed me off and I hit the plastic panel above the grill and broke it out of anger lol and now i gota buy a new one,crap!
you mean where the honecomb and running pony are? it helps to have a wrench with a moving head so you can just turn it and it will fit right in there. if you have too much trouble you can always just take the whole bumper off.

edit: like this....

Quick Reply: honeycomb crap.........