V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

Removing Rear Cats

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2007, 11:29 AM
cobra232
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Removing Rear Cats

it is illegal to remove functioning cats on any post 1973 vehicle in all 50 states. yes the federal gov't can issue a $25,000 fine for it. some states don't have emissions laws and don't enforce it. in my area we have emissions and no garage will remove the cats unless an CARB CERTIFIEDcatted H-pipe or X-pipe is replacing it.

just to the south of me there are 2 counties in my area of PA that don't have emissions and they will remove cats IF you are a resident of those counties
Old 03-09-2007, 12:02 PM
raz54
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: MustangMike2001

Would the car still pass emissions with just the front two cats on it?

Hell no but luckily we don't have smog checks up here. If we ever do the cats will go back on.
Old 03-09-2007, 12:06 PM
fallfast90
4th Gear Member

Gotta love AL, no inspections or emissions. I heard that macs sound fine on a catted setup, but O/R setup you will probably wanna switch to flows or force pros.
Old 03-10-2007, 09:15 PM
i_drive_stangs
3rd Gear Member

what about if you are replacing them with high flow cats?
Old 03-10-2007, 10:48 PM
cobra232
5th Gear Member

yes the car will pass a smog check without the rear cats as long as you keep the rear O2 sensors in place
Old 03-11-2007, 12:33 AM
Durr727
6th Gear Member

No checks in Florida.
Old 03-11-2007, 12:59 AM
Sparks232
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: cobra232

yes the car will pass a smog check without the rear cats as long as you keep the rear O2 sensors in place
So if you take the rear cats out...and keep the rear O2 sensors in place it wont kick any lights on?? and i really dont want to have to change out my MAC cat back exhaust, but fastfall90 said that mac doesnt sound that good with a non-catted setup...anybody else heard a MAC system without cats? and can any muffler shop custom make me a divorced setup? and how is the sound of the exhaust going to change if i go divorced... well lets say for now i leave the cats on. if i just go divorced is my exhaust going to really sound any different? or will i have to do something with the cats for it to make a difference in sound.
Old 03-11-2007, 01:36 AM
v6kid07
2nd Gear Member

+1 to that no checks in florida!!
Old 03-11-2007, 03:34 AM
cobra232
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Sparks232

So if you take the rear cats out...and keep the rear O2 sensors in place it wont kick any lights on?? and i really dont want to have to change out my MAC cat back exhaust, but fastfall90 said that mac doesnt sound that good with a non-catted setup...anybody else heard a MAC system without cats? and can any muffler shop custom make me a divorced setup? and how is the sound of the exhaust going to change if i go divorced... well lets say for now i leave the cats on. if i just go divorced is my exhaust going to really sound any different? or will i have to do something with the cats for it to make a difference in sound.
taking the rear cats off and still using the rear O2 sensors will not throw a check engine light as long as the O2's are not further than 12" behind the first cats.

going divorced will make it alittle deeper and alittle louder but your better off removing the rear cats. it will sound Ok like that even though i don't care for MAC's. they will buzz at higher rpm's no way around that with MAC mufflers
Old 03-11-2007, 03:58 AM
Sparks232
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Sparks232

taking the rear cats off and still using the rear O2 sensors will not throw a check engine light as long as the O2's are not further than 12" behind the first cats.

going divorced will make it alittle deeper and alittle louder but your better off removing the rear cats. it will sound Ok like that even though i don't care for MAC's. they will buzz at higher rpm's no way around that with MAC mufflers
Yea ive noticed the buzz at higher rpm's...sounds pretty good i think for the price, i dont know how much more $ im gonna invest into this car though...im thinking about getting a Mach 1...so i think i should just save for mods for that car..

Quick Reply: Removing Rear Cats