V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

The very best exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 03:35 AM
Weeman
2nd Gear Member

Default The very best exhaust

This has probably already been answered before and I'm sorry if it has, I didnt' find it but...

What is the very best full custom exhaust one can have? I need to know your opinions along with sizes and the reasons why. I know how to make HP and whatnot, Im just having a hard time deciding what I want to do with my custom exhaust that I'm wanting to put on and the sizes. I want to start with the throttle body and go all the way back until I fall off of the tips. Help me out!
Old 06-05-2007, 03:44 AM
mcccop_04
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: The very best exhaust

Longtubes, h-pipe with high flow cats, & force's. whole system 2.5" with 3.5" tips. and if you gonna get a tb make sure you get you manifolds ported and polished along with having the matched to the size of the tb, if not your just wasting your money
Old 06-05-2007, 03:50 AM
Weeman
2nd Gear Member

Cool. Anyone else? Be really really specific with all parts of the exhaust and sizes.
Old 06-05-2007, 04:30 AM
mooses
2nd Gear Member

A nice cam would do the trick
Old 06-05-2007, 04:37 AM
Weeman
2nd Gear Member

It's an automatic.
Old 06-05-2007, 09:22 AM
Xemeth
5th Gear Member

Autos have cams too... You sure you know how to make HP?
Old 06-05-2007, 09:28 AM
jthorn9
The Godfather

ORIGINAL: Xemeth

Autos have cams too... You sure you know how to make HP?
+1

It all depends on what sound you want. My top 5 muffler brands by sound are:
Borla
Magnaflow
Force Flow
Bassini
Flowmaster

My top 5 quality wise are:
Borla
Magnaflow
Bassini
Force Flow
Flowmaster

H Pipe - will be fairly deep, and loud down low, but up top it will loose some of it's mufflers sound and put more of the engine into it, in other words you'll be loud, but not as deep.
X Pipe - will be deep and rumbly down low and will maintain that sound uptop, however, they are milder sounding than h pipes, and they do pop a little when you let off the gas.

Shorty Headers - don't do squat for stock sixers, a decent way to fix broken, or worn stock headers, and or dress up the engine bay a little for show cars, just be sure to get ceramic coated

Long Tubes - will add a little power, and sound to the exhaust, however, the sound change is not for everybody. Best set up for long tubes is an O/R H pipe and Flowmaster or Force Flow muffers, they both take well to long tubes, never heard my other brands on them though.
Old 06-05-2007, 09:36 AM
Insanestang
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jthorn9

It all depends on what sound you want. My top 5 muffler brands by sound are:
Borla
Magnaflow
Force Flow
Bassini
Flowmaster

My top 5 quality wise are:
Borla
Magnaflow
Bassini
Force Flow
Flowmaster

H Pipe - will be fairly deep, and loud down low, but up top it will loose some of it's mufflers sound and put more of the engine into it, in other words you'll be loud, but not as deep.
X Pipe - will be deep and rumbly down low and will maintain that sound uptop, however, they are milder sounding than h pipes, and they do pop a little when you let off the gas.

Shorty Headers - don't do squat for stock sixers, a decent way to fix broken, or worn stock headers, and or dress up the engine bay a little for show cars, just be sure to get ceramic coated

Long Tubes - will add a little power, and sound to the exhaust, however, the sound change is not for everybody. Best set up for long tubes is an O/R H pipe and Flowmaster or Force Flow muffers, they both take well to long tubes, never heard my other brands on them though.
+1 Depends on the sound you want.

Just make sure, since you have an auto, that you don't get an exhaust that will have a loud drone. That is if you don't like it. If you have any drone in a manual you can get away from it by shifting but you can't get away from it in an auto. So just take that into consideration.
Old 06-05-2007, 11:50 AM
wmrcer
2nd Gear Member

get flowmaster 40s run true dual and no mid pipe.......thats what i did and love it....heres a vid of mine and its louder then the nid makes it out to be....and up top it sounds way beter then the vid makes it..

http://youtube.com/watch?v=-W34wYghwSw
Old 06-05-2007, 11:55 AM
flash20
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: wmrcer

get flowmaster 40s run true dual and no mid pipe.......thats what i did and love it....heres a vid of mine and its louder then the nid makes it out to be....and up top it sounds way beter then the vid makes it..

http://youtube.com/watch?v=-W34wYghwSw
+1 it has a nice deep tone to it! i heard this in person so i know its sounds good

Quick Reply: The very best exhaust