V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

New Engine Won't Start

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 11:24 PM
elmills

Default New Engine Won't Start

OK, my new engine is finally in.

I just replaced my 99 v6 engine with a clean 02 v6 engine. Everything is reconnected. When I try to start the car, the engine turns over, but won't start.

I've got gas (when I press the fuel release button on the front of the fuel rail, fuel squirts out)

I've got spark (when I take a spark plug wire off, hold it to something metal and turn over the engine, it sparks)

The engine looks great on the inside. There was barely any wear on any internal component. The block has 55K miles on it.

What am I doing wrong? I keep thinking that it's a computer thing. Or a timing issue. What could it be, guys?

Thanks
Old 07-02-2007, 11:57 PM
gxszone
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: New Engine Won't Start

Could be a problem with the keys?
Old 07-03-2007, 01:12 AM
defconfire
5th Gear Member

That would be my guess it sounds like a problem with the ECU because if you try to use a copied key without a chip it will just turn over and not start. But it could be any number of things.
Old 07-03-2007, 01:39 AM
amrcnidyot
6th Gear Member

did you use your computer or are you using the 02 computer?
Old 07-03-2007, 02:39 AM
98ponycar
2nd Gear Member

It's very possible that you have no injector pulse. You've already checked and have fuel to the service port, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's getting into the cylinders. You may have left the injectors unplugged at the main engine harness, or if you used the injectors from the new engine, it's a real good possibility that they're clogged from sitting to the point that they won't open and spray. If it were a key issue, the anti-theft would be engaged, and the fuel pump would be disabled, so you know that's not the case. I would look into the injectors and go from there.
Old 07-03-2007, 01:12 PM
elmills

Thanks guys...

The comp is my original. The only thing 02 in my engine bay is the block, heads, upper intake (including injectors)

I haven't noticed anything not connected yet. All of the 02 parts looked brand new. When I turn the key to "ON" the fuel pump starts. When I turn the engine over, it never gets that initial "spark" or "kick" if you know what I mean......it's just a RRRRRR sound.

Is there a timing reset ot computer reset?
Old 07-03-2007, 01:47 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

ORIGINAL: elmills

OK, my new engine is finally in.

I just replaced my 99 v6 engine with a clean 02 v6 engine. Everything is reconnected. When I try to start the car, the engine turns over, but won't start.

I've got gas (when I press the fuel release button on the front of the fuel rail, fuel squirts out)

I've got spark (when I take a spark plug wire off, hold it to something metal and turn over the engine, it sparks)

The engine looks great on the inside. There was barely any wear on any internal component. The block has 55K miles on it.

What am I doing wrong? I keep thinking that it's a computer thing. Or a timing issue. What could it be, guys?

Thanks
There were some minor differences between the 99 and 02+ engines. I don't know if that would impact the ECU at all. I would try swapping the ECU, and having the ECU learn your key codes. Then try starting it.

To have all 6 injectors plugged at once to where the car won't even try to catch is possible but highly unlikely.

Could be more basic, make sure all your wires are in the correct firing order.
Old 07-03-2007, 01:53 PM
P Zero
5th Gear Member

Hey Derf try this, have a buddy spray starting fluid in it while youre cranking. If it fires up for a second you know you have a fuel delivery problem. There might not be enough fuel pressure. Or like someone else said the injectores could be plugged.
Also, have someone else crank it and put your ear by the fuel rail and listen for the injectors clicking. If no click theyre not working.
-P.
Old 07-03-2007, 04:13 PM
elmills

I don't have the 02 ECU. I particularly do not like to mess with ECUs (replacing, flashing, etc. is a headache)
I'll try the starting fluid thing tonight.
Someone else told me that since I installed my 99 timing belt cover (with cam pos. sensor) onto a new cam (block), that I may need to adjust the timing.
Has anyone done this before?