V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

front brake upgrade question.

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 10:27 AM
roemythehomie
1st Gear Member

Default RE: front brake upgrade question.

YEP! the bullitt brake kit with pony calipers are nice... i got the crossed drilled & slotted rotors for looks as well as performance.. make sure u get new brake lines too..
Old 08-08-2007, 10:46 AM
Blainestang
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: RyansQuick6

I used the Bullitt front setup, mainly because I didn't want "cobra" on anything on my car. Same kit, just with a pony on the calipers.

Ryan
Same idea for me... I didn't care to have the look of the Cobra or Bullitt calipers (nor did I want to pay extra for them), so I went with the Mach 1's.
Old 08-08-2007, 10:53 AM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

NEVERbuy Slotted/Cross drilled brakes off Ebay. Cheap is not better!!!!! Most of the time they are just stock brakes some redneck drilled holes in out back in his shop trying to turn a buck.

Cobra/Mach 1 set ups are more than 90% of the V6 Mustang world needs. And for the price, you can't go wrong. They are a straight forward install that anyone with a wrench set and a free afternoon can do.
Old 08-08-2007, 12:54 PM
raz54
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: LilRoush

NEVER buy Slotted/Cross drilled brakes off Ebay. Cheap is not better!!!!! Most of the time they are just stock brakes some redneck drilled holes in out back in his shop trying to turn a buck.

Cobra/Mach 1 set ups are more than 90% of the V6 Mustang world needs. And for the price, you can't go wrong. They are a straight forward install that anyone with a wrench set and a free afternoon can do.

I agree you need to be careful where you buy them but if you do some research and only buy from a reputable company you can still get a quality product and save a few bucks in the process.
Old 08-08-2007, 04:09 PM
3.8_Special
2nd Gear Member

I too am thinking about doing the thing.

What year Mach 1 parts?

Just theMach 1 rotors, calipers and pads? same spindles or caliper bracket? (Ive never had my wheels off, I dont know how theyre on there...)

Are the rotors bolted on to the wheel bearing or are the bearingsin and wheel studs attached tothe rotors?

Are upgrades nessesery for the rear breaks as well? No proportoning valve to worry about and finaly, will they fit my stock ugly triangle wheels?

Thanks
Old 08-08-2007, 04:23 PM
RyansQuick6
Reverse Gear Member

Rears aren't necessary, but I went ahead and upgraded to the Bear 13" rears slotted and drilled to match the front.

Ryan
Old 08-08-2007, 04:41 PM
Blainestang
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 3.8_Special

I too am thinking about doing the thing.

What year Mach 1 parts?

Just theMach 1 rotors, calipers and pads? same spindles or caliper bracket? (Ive never had my wheels off, I dont know how theyre on there...)

Are the rotors bolted on to the wheel bearing or are the bearingsin and wheel studs attached tothe rotors?

Are upgrades nessesery for the rear breaks as well? No proportoning valve to worry about and finaly, will they fit my stock ugly triangle wheels?

Thanks
Generally, the calipers come with the caliper brackets and pre-loaded pads. You'll also need rotors and brake lines.

Unfortunately, no, the 13" Cobra brakes require 17" wheels for clearance.
Old 08-08-2007, 05:29 PM
3.8_Special
2nd Gear Member

That putsa little halt to it for now, thanks thoe, Good to know info.