V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

Adding HP to my 2001 v6

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 08:33 PM
HARFORD
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Adding HP to my 2001 v6

udp's are good at reducing parastetic loss, just like an aluminum drive shaft. the car will gain some horsepower, and honestly my gear 1 feels to rev up and pull a little harder after that install. its easy to do yourself, at least on an sn95, and NITROUS IS YOUR FRIEND.........
Old 10-23-2007, 08:41 PM
ESG-642T
Buyer Beware

ORIGINAL: HARFORD

udp's are good at reducing parastetic loss, just like an aluminum drive shaft. the car will gain some horsepower, and honestly my gear 1 feels to rev up and pull a little harder after that install. its easy to do yourself, at least on an sn95, and NITROUS IS YOUR FRIEND.........
Well not gain horsepower just free it up. And nitrous may or maynot be your friend
Old 10-23-2007, 09:47 PM
jthorn9
The Godfather

Yes, U/D pullies, to me, don't make the car feel any different than stock, and 10 rwhp may be an overstatement, but as far as power goes, anything between 5-10 is accurate enough.

Don't believe me on the benificial part, run a car down the track stock, then U/D pulley wise, bet you run the same time.
Old 10-23-2007, 10:06 PM
ESG-642T
Buyer Beware

ORIGINAL: jthorn9

Yes, U/D pullies, to me, don't make the car feel any different than stock, and 10 rwhp may be an overstatement, but as far as power goes, anything between 5-10 is accurate enough.

Don't believe me on the benificial part, run a car down the track stock, then U/D pulley wise, bet you run the same time.
That can be said for any single mod under 300$, whats your point?
Old 10-23-2007, 10:16 PM
jthorn9
The Godfather

That is the point, save up and do things like you did, skip all the mostly useless bolt ons and go for an S/C, N2O, or work on P/P your intake and heads (power pack), something that will actually make a difference. It's fairly safe to say that the money it takes for an average person to buy most of the common bolt ons, then pay to have a few of them installed, they could of already bought a used and in good condition S/C, or could have been well onto their way to building a modest N/A motor both of which making more than the190 or so rwhp that all those bolt ons will yield. IMO the only three good semi cheap mods are exhaust components, tuning, and K&N filters with silencers removed (unless you're building a show car then a CAI, but still probably better to wait for an S/C if you can quickly save money).
Old 10-23-2007, 10:50 PM
HARFORD
2nd Gear Member

you cant just drop a sc on a car, theres alot to do, so krueger, you will need beter pistons, might want better heads, blah blah. check out v6power . net and look in there v6 section, they will tell you how to do a supercoupe motor swap, or if you want a sc on your mustang block they will tell you all the million things to do to your car, in which you will need.

and as far as what i hear, although certian mods may not " make horsepower" i still think it was worth the 90 dollars to buy the under drive pulleys. anyway to free up alittle bit, will be better then nothing at all. like gears............... people say that gears was there best mod in waking up the car, but technically it doesnt make horsepower........... theres another thing you could do, put gears and a locker in, you probally wouldnt want to do it youself but still, its not too expensive, do research on the gears topics, and i think there is a sticky around on it.
Old 10-23-2007, 11:32 PM
ESG-642T
Buyer Beware

ORIGINAL: HARFORD

you cant just drop a sc on a car, theres alot to do, so krueger, you will need beter pistons, might want better heads, blah blah. check out v6power . net and look in there v6 section, they will tell you how to do a supercoupe motor swap, or if you want a sc on your mustang block they will tell you all the million things to do to your car, in which you will need.

and as far as what i hear, although certian mods may not " make horsepower" i still think it was worth the 90 dollars to buy the under drive pulleys. anyway to free up alittle bit, will be better then nothing at all. like gears............... people say that gears was there best mod in waking up the car, but technically it doesnt make horsepower........... theres another thing you could do, put gears and a locker in, you probally wouldnt want to do it youself but still, its not too expensive, do research on the gears topics, and i think there is a sticky around on it.
*You can just drop a s/c on, all you need really is injectors -
*A soupercoup swap would be pointless since he has a 99+
*Why would you want a supercharger without doing exhaust mods? You can get air into the motor, and cant get it out efficiently same goes for P&P heads
*Yes get UDP's , if your planning on getting a supercharger then get Long Tubes because your gonna need to sell the UDP anwyay
*If you want cheap power get a 75shot of nitrous

Old 10-24-2007, 09:51 AM
Krueger84

Thanks for all the replies. Im planning to get a s/c down the road, but right now, i just want to start off with the basics, thats y i got the dual exhaust, k&n cai, and the tuner. The reason im starting up with the basics, is cause I need to get the parts as I get money. Once i get all the basics, headers, gears, t lock, udp, nitrous, and short shifter, i will start saving up for a s/c. If anyone knows where to get these parts for cheap, please let me know. Also, would it be a bad idea to get some of these parts used if they're in good condition??????? As far as the s/c, i havent been able to find one for a good price. All the ones i have seen are out of my budget right now. I know ppl say u get wut u pay for, but im pretty sure i can get some good parts for a goodprice instead of the retail price.
Old 10-24-2007, 10:56 AM
Krueger84

Wut gears should i get for my car? I dont know anything about gears. Is there a specific brand or size?
Old 10-24-2007, 12:13 PM
ESG-642T
Buyer Beware

ORIGINAL: Krueger84

Wut gears should i get for my car? I dont know anything about gears. Is there a specific brand or size?
Their are a few threads in the forum about gears....

Quick Reply: Adding HP to my 2001 v6