V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

BRAKES question

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2007, 01:52 PM
blknismo180
2nd Gear Member

Default BRAKES question

i just resurfaced my front rotors....
and when i was stopping yesterday they felt incredibly soft
i was goin 30 and tried to brake hard and my brakes would not grab if i didnt reach for my e-brake i dfefinatly would have hit the car in front of me...
i used brake clean could it be theyare way smoother than i am used to or did i do something wrong???
[align=center] [/align]
Old 11-17-2007, 02:13 PM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

Default RE: BRAKES question

Sounds like you need to bleed the brake system.
Old 11-17-2007, 02:19 PM
jpacetti
2nd Gear Member

+1 on the bleeding. Does your brakes work better if you pump them? It sounds like you have air in the lines.
Old 11-17-2007, 02:27 PM
blknismo180
2nd Gear Member

well it just feels like i have to push the peddle more...
i heared when you do the rotors to check if you need to bleed the brakes is you push the brake 3 times before you start then hold it half way down when you start and if the peddle sinks in you dont need to bleed and if it doesn't then you do need to bleed...
IT SANK IN....
is bleeding it hard???
Old 11-17-2007, 02:35 PM
blknismo180
2nd Gear Member

how do i definately check if i need a bleed?
Old 11-17-2007, 03:05 PM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

Take the wheels off. Hook a small hose to the valve on the caliper and put the other end in a bucket or milk jug...something to catch fluid. Have someone slowly press the brake pedal as you slowly open the line with a wrench. If you get bubbles and sputtering, you had air. Keep topping off the brake fluid and keep repeating the pedal work until you get smooth fluid coming out.
Old 11-17-2007, 03:17 PM
etep31
1st Gear Member

before you do anything did yopu replace the pads as well? if you haven't definatley do that and that will add some space for the pistons to fill up and tighten your system up.
Old 11-17-2007, 04:07 PM
blknismo180
2nd Gear Member

well i didnt replace them YET....
i plan to in a week or so...
when i did my rotors i the right side pads fell out and had to make the piston coem out wider to fit the rotor in with the pads.
Old 11-17-2007, 05:12 PM
Weeman
2nd Gear Member

No offense to LilRoush, you can bleed the brakes like that but this method is going to be easier for him.

1)Open the hood, find the master cylinder (big thing coming from the driver side firewall, you can't miss it)
2) Find the two metallic lines coming from the bottom where the brakefluid canister is. Those are going to be your front and rear break lines
3) Find correct sized wrench to fit the nuts on the two lines ( I THINK it's about a 9mm)
4) When you have done that, have someone sitting in the drivers seat, pumping the brakes
5) As they are pumping, tell them to stop and hold the brakes down after about the 5th pump
6) While they are holding, pick either line and slowly loosen it. It's going to be a little hard to do at first so be careful you don't open it all the way and fluid comes shooting out like crazy
7) When a little fluid starts coming out in a semi steady stream, tighten the line again and repeat steps 5-7 until no more air comes out
8) When finished with one line, go to the other line. Tell them to pump again and repeat steps 5-7 until steady fluid comes out
9) Tighten the line back up when finished and your done
10) Give your friend in the drivers seat a high five and go grab a beer

Old 11-17-2007, 05:32 PM
red97stang
2nd Gear Member

i used lilroush's way of bleeding the brake lines. i have never tried the above but i know the other wasn't hard.

Quick Reply: BRAKES question