V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

O2 sensors?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 08:40 PM
red3.8_96stang
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: O2 sensors?

Bosch 02 sensors are O.K.. but dont put their plugs in our engines though !!! they really seem to misfire in short order.

Warm up the exhaust a bit after spraying the threads with some duck oil, so they will come out a bit easier. You could also warm up the pipes with a torch before undoing them, but be really carefull not to burn anything. New front o2 sensors can improve the performance ofyour engine, it's almost like adding a new set of jets to your carbs!

ATB Steve.
Old 01-10-2008, 09:18 PM
JKs95stang
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: l_shizzle_l

I think you use a 7/8 wrench to get them out. Make sure the pipes are warm/hot when you put the new ones in because as things get hot they expand and when they cool down you want a good sealarround the new O2's. If you don't you will start to notice a ticking noise coming from them(expanding the O2 and pipe, then making the washer rattle).

I don't trust the bosh ones, i got my motorcraft O2's from www.directfordparts.comand they were 50$ a piece vs 100$ each at the dealership.
So should I take them out then start the car for a little while to heat up the exhaust? I don't want any ticking exhaust leak. Annoying! I think i'll take your advice and go with the motorcraft o2's from directforparts.com. Fifty a piece is a good deal! Thanks for your input. Enjoy!
Old 01-10-2008, 09:20 PM
JKs95stang
4th Gear Member

The rear o2's look fine so i'll replace the front ones for now and see what happens. If I still have problems i'll replace the other 2. Thanks for your advice. Enjoy!
Old 01-10-2008, 09:23 PM
JKs95stang
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: red3.8_96stang

Bosch 02 sensors are O.K.. but dont put their plugs in our engines though !!! they really seem to misfire in short order.

Warm up the exhaust a bit after spraying the threads with some duck oil, so they will come out a bit easier. You could also warm up the pipes with a torch before undoing them, but be really carefull not to burn anything. New front o2 sensors can improve the performance ofyour engine, it's almost like adding a new set of jets to your carbs!

ATB Steve.
Thanks for your advice. I appreciate the response. I run bosch platinum plugs in my 3.8L and have no problems at all. Runs excellent aside from the hesitation regarding the o2 sensors. Enjoy!
Old 01-10-2008, 10:25 PM
02MustangV6DD
4th Gear Member

I called Bosch with my dads 3.0L And they said that the plugs dont always work in Ford cars good. THEN WHY THE **** SELL THEM??
Old 01-11-2008, 02:25 AM
JKs95stang
4th Gear Member

Thats a great question. A 3.0 huh. Must be a taurus or something. My brother used to have a SHO with a few mods. Pretty fun car, would of been better with some gears, but fun on the freeway! I know the bosch plat plugs work fine for my 95 3.8L and I have also used autolite plat plugs before with no problems. Enjoy!
Old 01-11-2008, 09:31 AM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

ORIGINAL: JKs95stang

Excellent information derf. I appreciate your response! I was wondering where you purchased the bosch o2 sensors from and how much. Does napa or any place like that carry them. Thanks again! Enjoy!
Napa carries the Standard Brand as well as their house brand. I forgot the name of them.

I got mine from Autozone. There will be several listed for your car. The two front ones have longer cables than the two rear ones. I would't mess with dicing and splicing the connectors either. Just buy the ones that already have the OEM connector on them.

Spark Plugs are a different item. The only reason I can think that Bosch Platinum SPARK plugs may not work as well in a domestic car as an Import is the stroke of the motor. The average domestic car has a longer stroke than an equivalent import, thus the greater Torque in most domestic engines liter for liter. BOsch Platinum plugs have a very tiny cathode meaning the spark is not as big as say a NGK, Autolite, or Motorcraft plug that has a larger cathode. The smaller spark doesn't have the initial oomph to properly burn the fuel quick enough in a deeper cylinder. That's just a guess though.
Old 01-11-2008, 09:55 AM
The Yellow Pinto

i have had severely bad luck with bosch plugs and 02 sensors crapping out quickly on my old cavalier...it was pretty much the consensus to stay away from anything bosch, though some people will say theyve had no problems.

Old 01-11-2008, 10:16 AM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

ORIGINAL: songtradingusa

i have had severely bad luck with bosch plugs and 02 sensors crapping out quickly on my old cavalier...it was pretty much the consensus to stay away from anything bosch, though some people will say theyve had no problems.
In this case, it's perception. Like I said, Bosch is one of the biggest OEM manufacturers of O2 sensors. Most companies buy a bosch brand O2 and just slap their name on it.

There's also Standard, Nippon Denso, and one other one out there that I can't recall.
Old 01-11-2008, 03:29 PM
apolnerow08
2nd Gear Member

Does anyone here know how many O2 extenders are needed for the V6 Pypes true dual with the X-pipe??

Quick Reply: O2 sensors?