V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

What is the diff btwn GT and Base Hoods??

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 12:20 AM
eli98
1st Gear Member

Default What is the diff btwn GT and Base Hoods??

Hey there, I want to paint the wife's car this spring, but before that I'd like to add a few things. Vertical doors, side exhaust (she requested it!), new front bumper(probably the roush stage 3), and lastly a shaker hood. Now, every page I read says I need a GT hood, but when I tried to buy an aftermarket one, the only difference I get is the GT hood comes with drilled holes. Now correct me if I'm wrong, but do the drilled holes matter when I am going to cut out a square foot of sheet metal? Or am I uninformed of other differences? BTW any other suggestions while I am spending??
Old 01-22-2008, 12:38 AM
Durr727
6th Gear Member

Default RE: What is the diff btwn GT and Base Hoods??

Well the shaker system usually comes with the hood and molding etc... so you'll be good, other than that you would need to buy a mach 1 hood.
Old 01-22-2008, 12:53 AM
eli98
1st Gear Member

That's what I don't get. The sales simply say no V6 or Cobra hoods. If the GT hood is the same as the V6 hood then why do I need another hood? What is the difference on a Mach 1 hood? Why do the pages say GT?
Old 01-22-2008, 04:45 AM
04ShadowStang
2nd Gear Member

The issue is that most of the kits don't really come with the hood you need. Assuming you're ordering from CDC directly that should be the case...

What year stang is it?

You can buy the Mach 1 hood unpainted for cheap (replacement) from places like InnerAuto:
http://www.innerauto.com/store/?N=16...294967015+9220

It would make your build a lot easier if you just had the Mach 1 hood, which is what we're planning on doing with the Shadow Stang (Mach 1 Shaker Hood & Ram AirIntake)...
Old 01-22-2008, 11:41 AM
eli98
1st Gear Member

This still doesn't answer why they say no base model hoods, only GT. The GT and base model are virtually the same, yes or no?
Its a 2000 3.8 Auto. What I am after is a mild looking functional ram air hood. Have been thinking of just adding the Kenne Bell cold air kit and picking any hood that the wife likes.
Check out this link. http://www.americanmuscle.com/ramairshscsy.html
This is what it says:
System Includes:

Aluminum Shaker Scoop - Die Cast Aluminum
Shaker Tray
Hood Appliqué (Applied to the Factory GT Hood)
Ductwork
Mounting Brackets
Hardware Kit and complete instructions

If it is applied to the factory GT hood and the GT hood is the same as a base hood, then why do I need a GT hood????
Old 01-22-2008, 12:25 PM
ESG-642T
Buyer Beware

ORIGINAL: eli98

This still doesn't answer why they say no base model hoods, only GT. The GT and base model are virtually the same, yes or no?
Its a 2000 3.8 Auto. What I am after is a mild looking functional ram air hood. Have been thinking of just adding the Kenne Bell cold air kit and picking any hood that the wife likes.
This is what it says:
System Includes:

Shaker Tray
Ductwork
Mounting Brackets

If it is applied to the factory GT hood and the GT hood is the same as a base hood, then why do I need a GT hood????
You don't need a gt hood, as long as you don't have the hood with the 'reverse' scoop your fine. IF your gonna do the Roush S3 front then you may as well do the side exhaust skirts also. I don't think a KB cold air kit fits.
Old 01-22-2008, 01:49 PM
amrcnidyot
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: VCS_SSSTANG

ORIGINAL: eli98

This is what it says:
System Includes:

Shaker Tray
Ductwork
Mounting Brackets

You don't need a gt hood, as long as you don't have the hood with the 'reverse' scoop your fine. IF your gonna do the Roush S3 front then you may as well do the side exhaust skirts also. I don't think a KB cold air kit fits.
thats exactly what the companies are sayng. in late 03 i think and in 04 the 6ers came with the reverse scoop hoods. as long as you dont have that hood then you are fine. since you have a 2000, your hood will work just fine. some people in this thread have said it would be easier to buy a mach 1 hood, that is not true at all. that requires custom brackets and fabrication. if you just want a bolt on shaker you just use what is in the kit and it should look and fit great.

edit: the kit on americanmuscle is perfect, it will bolt up and work great.
Old 01-22-2008, 02:04 PM
ESG-642T
Buyer Beware

Yeah for the mach 1 hood, it just looks better.
Old 01-23-2008, 12:45 AM
eli98
1st Gear Member

Thanks for clarifying that. I couldn't wrap my head around the thought that my hood wouldn't work but the neighbor's would. I agree that the mach 1 hood looks better but this is a daily driver, and I think it'll look alright when I'm done with these mods. Why won't the kenne belle ram air kit work. Thought I read of someone else with it already installed.
Old 01-23-2008, 03:37 AM
04ShadowStang
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: VCS_SSSTANG

Yeah for the mach 1 hood, it just looks better.
Yeah, it does - that's why we're doin' it lolz

Besides the fact I've got the 2004 sixer with the "Cobra Throwback" hood lol...