V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

2003 3.8 Grinding when coming to a stop.

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 10:33 PM
Curlrup

Default 2003 3.8 Grinding when coming to a stop.

My 2003 v6 is doing this lovely grinding noise right before it comes to a complete stop. It sounds like a playing card in the spokes of your bike only lower and it seems to be coming from the drivers front wheel. Or it sounds like the clutch on an electric drill. Really sounds like a tire rubbing. I pulled the tire and nothing is rubbing the tire. I noticed my brakes were almost locked up the wheel did not spin freely at all. So I replaced andgreased the caliper pins to no avail. There is no play in the wheel and the ball joints are good. It doesn't do it all the time and doesn't seem to matter if the brakes are hot, if you stomp on them or if you ride them. Is this caused by my calipers sticking or is it a wheel bearing??

Thanks a bunch

Curly
Old 04-16-2008, 11:21 PM
Cryptostorm
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: 2003 3.8 Grinding when coming to a stop.

can you feel it in the steering wheel?
Old 04-16-2008, 11:26 PM
Curlrup

Nope. I can hear it and feel it slighty through the floor boards or brake pedal.
Old 04-16-2008, 11:29 PM
rallyred01
1st Gear Member

the same this has been happening to me, and i thought it was breaks, but i didn't make it to the shop before they closed.

my steering wheel will shake a little when braking...
Old 04-16-2008, 11:30 PM
RyansQuick6
Reverse Gear Member

Do you have drilled or slotted rotors? Or maybe something stuck in the tire. Check all the brakes, see if there is any cracking or anything or wierd discolorations on the rotors.
Old 04-16-2008, 11:36 PM
Cryptostorm
2nd Gear Member

if your pads are good, check your disks... and be sure to check the inside of the disk too...

i once had a pad that poped out of the caliper somehow... and it the caliper was grinding against the disk... not cheap...
Old 04-16-2008, 11:46 PM
Curlrup

I pulled all front brakes and replaced the caliper pins because I thought the caliper was sticking. My pads are fine they just went on a few months ago. Rotors look great....I did not however check the back of them. The more I think about it the more I think it's a bearing. Because it sounds like a bearing that was going out on my Fiero. Like a growl, only diffrence is the Fiero growled all the time and the Mustang only growls intermitantly and for a few seconds right before the car comes to a complete stop. I'm baffled.
Old 04-17-2008, 06:42 AM
Curlrup

What else in the front could make a growl noise? My rotors are not drilled or slotted. the brakes seem fine other than when I get to front in the air the tires do not spin freely there is some rub on both sides. Do the newer Mustangs front brakes rub a little?
Old 04-17-2008, 09:54 AM
RyansQuick6
Reverse Gear Member

Yeah, it's not really a free spin. Take the rotors off the front and try to spin the hub. The hub shouldn't drag too bad, if it is, replace it. Mine are about to need replacing, but I'm waiting to order control arms first.
Old 04-17-2008, 01:17 PM
Curlrup

So I'm changing bearings tonight. I did a search here for a write up on how to change front bearings and didn't find much. Does anyone know of a write up? I'm very new to this forum so I'm still getting used to the search function. I read in some places it was three bolts and the hub is off, however the picture of the hub from every parts store shows no flange for bolts am I missing something here??

Quick Reply: 2003 3.8 Grinding when coming to a stop.