V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

how much weight reduction will make a noticable difference?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 01:13 PM
NeoTokyo
6th Gear Member

Default RE: how much weight reduction will make a noticable difference?

Here are a few slimmin's you can put your car through for street use.

Interior
*Manual Seats, no motors
*Lighter Aftermarket seats (if its your DD get a comfy set)
*Rear seat delete
*Remove Airbags and front airbag sensor
-Replace w/ aftermarket wheel and pass bag cover (Note: Illegal in most area's, not rec.)
*Remove spare tire and jack

Exterior
*Quality multi layer carbon fiber Fenders
*Quality multi layer carbon fiber Deck Lid
*Spoiler is light and adds down force (For functional) otherwise ditch it if you want
*VIS, Cervani or other quality complete Carbon fiber hood
*Quality lightweight rims (My Y2k's are almost 50lbs, ultralites are 21lbs I think)

Mechanical
*Windstar composite upper intake
*Composite CAI or stock plastic
*T5 swap
*Lightweight Flywheel
*Lightweight clutch, ie SPEC is heavy as hell and RAM is lighter (If I remember correctly)
-Note: Shipping weight and vendor specs will reveal the info.
*Aluminum Driveshaft or Carbon fiber if you can afford $600 but you will get about 12rwhp back from that, its a good product and can be bought from PST.
-Note: No Driveshaft loop is needed when racing with a Carbon fiber Driveshaft. More saving!
*Manual steering conversion, but I dont recommend this, I've driven manual, it sucks goin slow.
*A/C delete (I never use it much anyways, and i live in Cali and Missouri)
*PST carbon fiber axles
*Pro 5.0 back drilled Ring gear and drill pinion set (Saves 3.5lbs I think they said, or 3.5hp I dont remember.)
*If you build your 7.5" correctly it can handle most anything, its lighter too.
*Use dumps after the mufflers instead of full tips
*Porting your heads and lower intake will drop maybe 1lbs overall but you will gain efficiency.

Suspension etc.
*MM Tubular K-Member
*MM A-Arms
*MM Coil Over all the way around
-Note Just buy the Grip in a Box for $4000 and be happy

I kinda got bored there so I am probably forgetting a few things. But thats fairly extreme and still keeping it street friendly.

-Eric-
Old 04-23-2008, 04:27 PM
coop7
3rd Gear Member

Yup...
I gutted my trunk and back seat...
Looks like **** and my girlfriend hates it...
But I like the way it drives...
Noticeable difference...
And it gives me an excuse to car pool when me and my buddy's wanna go somewhere...

lol

-Coop
Old 04-24-2008, 08:05 AM
Tee_Whet

I think it maybe in your head. But cuddos to you.
Old 04-24-2008, 12:56 PM
NeoTokyo
6th Gear Member

There is really no sense in gutting interior, carpet and padding on a street car, just getting rid of some of the basics I listed is more than enough.
Old 04-24-2008, 06:51 PM
tuflehundon
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: JKs95stang

I'd say 4 adults in the car is WAY MORE than 400 pounds. I bet that stang will barely move!! [sm=icon_rofl.gif]
[/align][/align]The 400 lbs was for the 3 extra people not including me. I was refering to the extra wieght they added. My wife 130 lbs, my buddy 150 lbs, his wife, 115 lbs. = 400 lbs. If you include me that # would be closer to 650. I'm a muscular former Marine Heavy Machine Guner, and wieght 250lbs.[/align]
Old 04-24-2008, 07:05 PM
JKs95stang
4th Gear Member

I was going to say, you must have some skinny friends or something. I'm 6ft1 200 lbs and there is noway in hell I can fit in the back seat. My two kids can barely fit back there and they are only 10 and 8. Most my friends are my size or bigger, like 275-300 lbs bigger, and I took there fat asses around the block to drop them off, my car was like it had drop springs and rubbing on the tires and was so sluggish. I know, I know, I'm trying to get them in the gym, but there lazy fat slobs that think working out is going to work, coming home and curling a few cans of bud. If I were as big as them, I'd be more of a monster than I already am. Ok, I'm rambling now, time for dinner!!
Old 04-24-2008, 08:34 PM
Black04
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: JKs95stang

Either that, or go on a diet!!
haha read my mind... but lose weight or pull out the back seat.... the seat my be less work.
Old 04-25-2008, 05:24 PM
thewrongguy
1st Gear Member

I don't know how much you guys like F1 racing, saying that i do makes me feel like i should be wearing a monocle and slaping a butler for bringing the wrong sherry.

Anyways, a few drivers started a petition that Danica Patrick was too light compared to the other drivers, she weighs like 100 pounds soaking wet, and the rest of the racers are rail thin but floating around 175. For the 2008 season they're changing the rules instead of minimum vehicle weights minus the driver, it'll be minimum vehicle weight including driver. On the street losing weight is important but it racing it's live or die. The old say is it's easer to lose weight then find horsepower.

Old 04-25-2008, 05:52 PM
The Yellow Pinto

this reminds me of an old sport compact car i read, a few years ago when i had my old turbo four. this ricer kid wanted to make his car faster but didnt have any money, lol..., so he "lent" his car (I wanna say it was like, a 90's nissan maxima or altima?) to the writers/editors/monkeywrenchers at Sport Compact Car his ride to see what they could do to make it faster, but with no cash.

they wound up stripping it...a little at first, stuff like the rear seat, spare, jack, etc...to COMPLETELY 'vandalizing' the car, so to speak..im talking they ripped the f'ing doors off, the rood, all of the glass...when they were done with the poor kid's car, it looked like a ghetto go-kart...im talking just the steering wheel and pedals. they dragged it, and it went from, like, a 17 second car to a 13 second car, "bone stock", if you will...im assuming they paid the kid for his car or gave him another one. or it was just all a b.s. article to make people laugh...but regardless, it was written so funny, how they wanna make a car fast, and just tore the car apart to shave weight.

Old 04-25-2008, 09:51 PM
skitso
3rd Gear Member

fiberglass or carbon fiber fenders
i would go with fiberglass cheaper and if you sratch carbon fiber it turns into a total bitch

fenders and hood and trunk would drop like 2-300 pounds or more(im guessing on the numbers)

Quick Reply: how much weight reduction will make a noticable difference?