V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

Specific Questions over 3.8 V6 supercharger

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 11:58 PM
mysteed
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Specific Questions over 3.8 V6 supercharger

ORIGINAL: psyviperx

Theres also this option: http://www.vmptuning.com/store/index...&parent=55

Which i'm leaning towards myself. Has anyone used this kit? Would you still need to upgrade the injectors, pump, and plugs?

Sorry about the slight hijack, but i figure you'll appreciate the option and info too.
-Viper
Yes, that is the 11psi kit that I was talking about. That comes with EVERYTHING needed from Justin including the tune. Be aware that while the tune will work, you will need to make some datalogging so Justin can tweak the tune for your vehicle. Datalogging means that you will need a wideband sensor kit(like the LC1).

So it looks like procharger is the way to go if i want the most gains for my money. :-) You gave me A LOT of helpful information and thank you very much for that. So with a stock engine, i've done some reading around, and it looks like i probably shouldnt go anywhere over the neighborhood of 9psi? And what would 300rwhp be at the crank? I guess while we're at it, i can ask you how you figure those numbers out...or if it differs from car to car...which is what i'm assuming...

Another good thing i should probably know....what, if anything, should i replace in the engine if i want to up the boost a little bit?

Gawd i feel like a little kid asking so much stuff!!! haha
It's not the PSI that determines where you need to stop at, it's the rwhp that your car makes. 11psi through a intercooled Procharger P1SC puts you right around 300rwhp on a stock motor, which is moer than safe.

Typcially, if you have an auto you add 20% of what you make at the rear wheels to see what you make at the crank. With a 5speed, add 15%.

If you want to up the boost to make more than 350rwhp, you'll need to replace atleast the stock rods and pistons to a set of forged rods and pistons. Of course you'll also need to upgrade your stock rearend to take all that power and if you have a 5-speed you'll need to upgrade your clutch.
Old 05-09-2008, 09:56 AM
tommy2273boy
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: VCS_SSSTANG

Don't forget to mention prochargers are known to start leaking oil out the steal, and taking out bearings.
Ohh...and Vortechs use dirty engine oil,tapinto your oil pan, and sound like crap...

Don't forget ...Don't forget
Old 05-09-2008, 10:06 AM
nanaki
Retired MF Moderator

ORIGINAL: tommy2273boy

Don't forget to mention prochargers are known to start leaking oil out the steal, and taking out bearings.
Ohh...and Vortechs use dirty engine oil,tapinto your oil pan, and sound like crap...

Don't forget ...Don't forget
don't forget that any oil will start to get dirty if you don't keep up with it. i guess if you don't plan on changing your engine oil regularly, you should definitely get a self contained unit. don't forget the engine oil is probably a lot cooler than the self contained oil in a pro charger.

you're comparing the sound to what? when i'm driving around, i get more head turns and looks in my (stock looking) stang than i do my bright yellow vette.
Old 05-09-2008, 01:22 PM
mysteed
2nd Gear Member

How so? Is it that they're loud in the V1 trim and still decently loud in the v2 trim? I guess you don't like loud exhaust either.
Old 05-09-2008, 01:48 PM
nanaki
Retired MF Moderator

ORIGINAL: mysteed

How so? Is it that they're loud in the V1 trim and still decently loud in the v2 trim? I guess you don't like loud exhaust either.
no kidding. most people that hear that know what's up. then they have the nice little PSSSSHHHHHT noise
Old 05-09-2008, 10:00 PM
tommy2273boy
5th Gear Member

whistle is nice, i like mine...but not a skreetching

and depends on what kind of exhaust, im sure you like the big fart cans, open header trucks, and choopers that drive by your house.
Old 05-09-2008, 10:05 PM
ESG-642T
Buyer Beware

You must be crazy not to like the vortech gear noise....

Its almost become a contest to spot which guy turns their head in the parking lot first when I idle through....

One thing about engine oil, I don't forget to change it, and if I get lazy I can just have any oil place change it. I can't go to jiffy and bring them royal purple and tell them hey change my procharger oil will ya
Old 05-09-2008, 10:31 PM
JKs95stang
4th Gear Member

Its almost become a contest to spot which guy turns their head in the parking lot first when I idle through....

One thing about engine oil, I don't forget to change it, and if I get lazy I can just have any oil place change it. I can't go to jiffy and bring them royal purple and tell them hey change my procharger oil will ya
I agree, if you don't like the noise from a S/C, there is DEFINITELY something WRONG with YOU!!
Old 05-10-2008, 09:17 AM
nanaki
Retired MF Moderator

i'm sure they would, but i wouldn't trust jiffy lube "techs" to touch my supercharger
Old 05-10-2008, 01:02 PM
ESG-642T
Buyer Beware

ORIGINAL: nanaki

i'm sure they would, but i wouldn't trust jiffy lube "techs" to touch my supercharger
Hmm, find somebody with a procharger and get a video camera, I wanna know if they will or not.

Quick Reply: Specific Questions over 3.8 V6 supercharger