V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

gauge cluster need help quick

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 11:20 PM
1999mustang2000
5th Gear Member

Default gauge cluster need help quick

will a gt gauge cluster fit my v6? and actually work correctly
Old 06-19-2008, 12:08 AM
Fink
5th Gear Member

Default RE: gauge cluster need help quick

if u set all the needles to where they should be and if all the connections fit correctly I dont see why it shouldn't. just wondering why you want to put a GT cluster in?
Old 06-19-2008, 12:33 AM
1999mustang2000
5th Gear Member

cuz i hada shop put white face gauges in and there all f'd up the the only thing that works correctly is the tach
the temperature hand always reads hot
the fuel hand goes apast the f
and the mph seems pretty accurate sumtimes
and i found a cheap complete gt gauge cluster
Old 06-19-2008, 12:40 AM
Fink
5th Gear Member

well I dunno. I only know one person that has changed their cluster and it was on my friends Probe and he got a GT cluster and his wasn't a GT and it wouldnt work. Do a search or ask one of the more experienced members on here.
Old 06-19-2008, 12:40 AM
RedStarBelgrade
BEWARE OF THIS SELLER. He will sell you junk and call you an idiot for falling for it. Know what you are buying! Admin

ORIGINAL: 1999mustang2000

cuz i hada shop put white face gauges in and there all f'd up the the only thing that works correctly is the tach
the temperature hand always reads hot
the fuel hand goes apast the f
and the mph seems pretty accurate sumtimes
and i found a cheap complete gt gauge cluster
Man I have the shop put the white gauge but he didn't take the needles off, he just slided it and i later lifted needles so they can move freely...anyways it doesn't work...not the needles but the gauge light, it doesnt glow. It disconected and I tried to connect it straight to the light switch but don't know how to do it...and its been like that for ever!
Old 06-19-2008, 12:55 AM
1999mustang2000
5th Gear Member

id have the shop do it

i think u connect it to the green wire by the headlight ****
not 2 sure so i wouldnt try it until sum1 else corrects me
Old 06-19-2008, 01:01 AM
RedStarBelgrade
BEWARE OF THIS SELLER. He will sell you junk and call you an idiot for falling for it. Know what you are buying! Admin

ORIGINAL: 1999mustang2000

id have the shop do it

i think u connect it to the green wire by the headlight ****
not 2 sure so i wouldnt try it until sum1 else corrects me
I know what to do but just dont want to mess anything even more. Connect red wire with the grey one, and black with the metal bar behind the cluster!
Old 06-19-2008, 03:29 AM
robinson209
3rd Gear Member

I bought a cheap ebay white gauge face and installed it and it worked fine. It came with ****ty instructions too. I had to take all the kneedles off but I wrote down all there positions before putting them back on. My only complaint was that the gauge face has a little button to turn the reverse glow lights on... I wanted them to be on automatically when I pull the headlight ****, but oh well. Anyways just Google instructions and do it yourself. It's very easy and doesn't take much time at all if you have any common knowlege of splicing wires (anybody with a IQ of Forrest Gump could do it). I'll try to find my crappy instructions then scan and post them if I find them.....

In the mean time, and quick alternative is to try to remember where you kneedles were before you had the gauge face put in, then warm up the car, take the kneedles off and while the car is on and running put the kneedles in the position that they would normally be. The MPH kneedle is a tricky one and I had to have my friend drive along side me on the freeway and talk to me on the cell phone to tell me how fast he was going so I could put the kneedle on at the right speed (sounds simple and dumb but it worked!!!!)
Old 06-19-2008, 10:19 AM
RedStarBelgrade

ORIGINAL: robinson209

I bought a cheap ebay white gauge face and installed it and it worked fine. It came with ****ty instructions too. I had to take all the kneedles off but I wrote down all there positions before putting them back on. My only complaint was that the gauge face has a little button to turn the reverse glow lights on... I wanted them to be on automatically when I pull the headlight ****, but oh well. Anyways just Google instructions and do it yourself. It's very easy and doesn't take much time at all if you have any common knowlege of splicing wires (anybody with a IQ of Forrest Gump could do it). I'll try to find my crappy instructions then scan and post them if I find them.....
Thats the one I got, and I had it installed but I guess they didn't hook all the wires tight enough so it fell off. Like I said you can hook it up to your light switch. Anyways, where did you conect the black and red wires...some pics would help!
Old 06-19-2008, 10:49 AM
1999mustang2000
5th Gear Member

still need an answer to my question neone?

Quick Reply: gauge cluster need help quick