V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

overheat at idle

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2005, 02:05 PM
camocreek

Default overheat at idle

I'm having a bit of an overheat problem. I was sitting at an ATM the other day for only a few minutes and noticed my temp gauge started climbing, it was up towards the higher end of normal, usually it stays at the lower end. As I took off and started driving again I watched it come back down to normal. Then I stopped again and after about a minute or two it started to climb back up but once I started driving again it came back down. Anyone know what might be causing this? I've got a 94 with the 3.8, all stock.
Thanks.
Old 05-19-2005, 03:57 PM
myfirststang
1st Gear Member

Default RE: overheat at idle

Well, back when I had my Honda Accord I had that same problem. It ended up being that I didn't have enough coolant in the reservoir.
Old 05-19-2005, 11:41 PM
alexr
★★★★★

i dont know about any of the models from 94 to present, but the fox body models always have the tendancy to overheat, something with the thermostat. i found that out after some airhead lady didnt cut my new keys right and it got stuck in the igniton with the engine running, and no electronics running. but thats beside the point, thats the main flaw with those models, i dont know if its the same with the newer models.
Old 05-19-2005, 11:55 PM
1990mustang

I have a 1990 Mustang, different year and engine, however, I noticed this one day at a Mcdonalds drive through. I pulled over, with motor running, and noticed that the fan wasn't turning. After much head scratching, i saw that a wire going to it's motor was cut. I don't know if yours is belt driven or electrically driven. just check to see if it is spinning with engine idling, if it is a powered fan.
Old 05-20-2005, 12:01 AM
justinmac86
1st Gear Member

I have a 96 and I just rescently replaced my head gaskets, 1300 bucks. 94's are even more notorious for this so maybe look into this. If your going through a lot of coolant also this could very well be your problem not trying to scare you though.
Old 05-20-2005, 02:16 AM
ZachW04Stang
5th Gear Member

It could be something as simple as low coolent or a malfunctioning thermostat. But the pre 99 v6's are known for having head gasket problems. I would run a compression test and check you coolent. Should help you pin point the problem.
Old 05-20-2005, 12:04 PM
ChristopherCamel
2nd Gear Member

well considering your sitting still..there is probably no airflow to help cool the engine..bigger the engine = more heat...id check the radiator coolent and maybe replace the thermostat..or maybe your radiator fan isnt coming on
Old 05-20-2005, 02:14 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

ORIGINAL: camocreek

I'm having a bit of an overheat problem. I was sitting at an ATM the other day for only a few minutes and noticed my temp gauge started climbing, it was up towards the higher end of normal, usually it stays at the lower end. As I took off and started driving again I watched it come back down to normal. Then I stopped again and after about a minute or two it started to climb back up but once I started driving again it came back down. Anyone know what might be causing this? I've got a 94 with the 3.8, all stock.
Thanks.
When was the last time the coolant was actually flushed out of your cooling system and the thermostat replaced? I had similar problems when I first moved to Phoenix (lived in San Diego before). The car was almost 5 years old at that point so I went ahead and flushed the cooling system and replaced the thermostat with a 180 one. The cooling fan hardly ever turns on now and the needle stays slightly under midpoint. (2000 V6). If your coolant isn't an almost florescent green when you look at it but more of a dull green or even brown, time to flush out (Back flush) your system and replace that thermostat. Should be done every two years like brake fluid.

If you live in an area where you have 4 season, then a 50/50 antifreeze/water mix is best, if you live in the southwest area of the US then 30/70 antifreeze/water works just fine. The antifreeze serves as a corrosion inhibitor in mild climates.
Old 05-21-2005, 01:19 AM
alexr
★★★★★

mustang thermostats are known to be (accidentally??) set higher (warmer) than they actually read, so if ur going by the gauge and not by the engine itself, it may not even be overheating.
Old 05-21-2005, 06:11 AM
Canada

I'll bet its a combination of cooling fan, thermostat sticking, and blown head gaskets.

Quick Reply: overheat at idle