V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

sorry, but gear qeustion

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2005, 12:08 AM
blackhorse05
I ♥ Acer

Default sorry, but gear qeustion

i have a 05 v6, im pretty sure the 4-10 is what i should get, leave your opinion on the gear selection ive chosen please, but i want to install myself, before you tell me dont do it, im going to anyway, i like to learn things, my qeustion is what will i need, will i need anything other than the gears or will i have to buy a kit ti lube it up or change something else, your help would be appreciated, thanks
Old 06-04-2005, 01:17 AM
tomabram
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: sorry, but gear qeustion

you got an auto or 5 speed? If you drive any hwy I would go 3.55 auto or 3.73 5 speed.
Hope you got the special tools for the job. Gears are not the thing to practice on. If there not done correct say goodbye to your ring, pinion and also you spider gears. Not a cheap fix.
But go for it and post when you get done to let us know how you managed.

Old 06-04-2005, 01:31 AM
ZachW04Stang
5th Gear Member

You will need a hydraulic press (pretty expensive) if you want to do it yourself. I would really recommend taking it too a shop to have it done. Theres are lot of measurements that have to be exact or you could mess up you rear end.
Old 06-04-2005, 01:41 AM
The Great Cornholio
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: ZachW04Stang

You will need a hydraulic press (pretty expensive) if you want to do it yourself. I would really recommend taking it too a shop to have it done. Theres are lot of measurements that have to be exact or you could mess up you rear end.
Also need a dial micrometer, an inch-pound torque wrench, a very large torque wrench, and a solid assembly surface. You can do it, I did it on a '66 Mustang rear end, just be prepared to spend some $$$ on tools unless you have access to a shop's equipment.
Old 06-04-2005, 01:58 AM
tomabram
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: The Great Cornholio

ORIGINAL: ZachW04Stang

Also need a dial micrometer, an inch-pound torque wrench, a very large torque wrench, and a solid assembly surface. You can do it, I did it on a '66 Mustang rear end, just be prepared to spend some $$$ on tools unless you have access to a shop's equipment.
Exactly. Cheaper to have it done by a shop. And also no worries.
Old 06-04-2005, 04:22 AM
Chanedeezy4106
3rd Gear Member

Don't forget if something goes bad u get to blame them!
Old 06-04-2005, 10:21 AM
tomabram
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Chanedeezy4106

Don't forget if something goes bad u get to blame them!
Yeah thats correct. I had gears put in years ago and turned out they had a recall. The shop had to rip them out and replace them. Would of sucked it I did it myself.
Old 06-04-2005, 11:36 AM
blackhorse05
I ♥ Acer

well i have access to every tool you can think of, but maybe ill rethink my plans
Old 06-04-2005, 11:42 AM
blackhorse05
I ♥ Acer

ok this is off subject but i want to sa that those guys in the 05 v6 section suck, im staying over here with you guys now
Old 06-04-2005, 12:45 PM
The Great Cornholio
I ♥ Acer

They can't all be bad, at least they drive Mustangs!

By the way, when you change gears you will also need a flash tuner or SpeedCal to correct the speedomter/odometer. The bad thing there is I have not seen a tuner released yet by Diablo or Superchips for the '05 V6, and SpeedCal devices are also only listed for up to '04 models.

Quick Reply: sorry, but gear qeustion