V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

Fiberglass or Polyurethane??

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 06:27 AM
Fink
5th Gear Member

Default Fiberglass or Polyurethane??

Im looking at getting a Cobra R front and I was just wondering whats the difference between fiberglass and polyurethane?? Which is easier to install?? What would you guys prefer??
Old 01-02-2009, 07:51 AM
MurderedStang
1st Gear Member

Polyurethane is stronger and more durable, fiberglass will do you fine if your a good driver and can stay out of bad places and not hit little things in/on the road.
Old 01-02-2009, 08:35 AM
Fink
5th Gear Member

Yeah cruizinconcepts is having a sale on fiberglass Cobra R fronts. I wanna buy it but I dont know when I can get my car painted. Theres only 1 body shop in my town and I dont wanna have a bumper taking up space in my parents basement.
Old 01-02-2009, 08:38 AM
ooterman
2nd Gear Member

Poly is a solid plastic piece that will will crack when hit but is pretty strong. Fiberglass is a material made up of millions of fibers and will crack and fray when hit.

I vote Poly as well, but both will work and unless your going off road spelunking I would not worry about what you picked to much.
Old 01-02-2009, 11:03 AM
reaper2022
2nd Gear Member

Polyurethane is what most stock bumpers are made of, so that should give you a good idea of their resiliency. Fiberglass bumpers usually don't fit as well, and are easier to break. Still, you shouldn't have to worry about the fiberglass bumper breaking unless you're off-roading in your mustang.
Old 01-02-2009, 11:18 AM
Fink
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by reaper2022
Polyurethane is what most stock bumpers are made of, so that should give you a good idea of their resiliency. Fiberglass bumpers usually don't fit as well, and are easier to break. Still, you shouldn't have to worry about the fiberglass bumper breaking unless you're off-roading in your mustang.
Well you know that Mustangs sit a little higher than most sports cars. Hahaha. Well I wont have to worry about that since my car will barely be driven in the summer and its gonna be parked in the winter so I should be good with being able to keep it on road.
Old 01-02-2009, 11:41 AM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

DO NOT DO FIBERGLASS. The first time you scrape, you will be buying a new one.

Poly made are MUCH BETTER. My front splitter (well, the whole lower body skirting) is a poly based material. I've hammered the brakes hard enough on the track to grind it in hard several times and it's still going. One time I even ripped it off and drove over it. Got it back and put it on again.

I would never put fiberglass front bumpers on a car. Too cheap of material, too much work to keep looking good, and too much of a chance of destroying it.
Old 01-02-2009, 12:15 PM
Fink
5th Gear Member

Ok I'll reach a little farther into the pocket and spend it on a quality bumper. Do you guys know anywhere to get OEM skirts? Mine are all messed up for some reason, the corners are all cracked.
Old 01-02-2009, 12:29 PM
jthorn9
The Godfather

Look up on ebay for a used set o OEM skirts, it's going to be hard to find some that aren't too badly scraped, but I'm sure it's possible.

But as stated, stay away from fiberglass. I know you've seen ricers around your town with Fed up front bumpers, well I gurantee you all of them are fiberglass. Only parts that are good in fiberglass are side scoops, wings, and some hood brands, but stay away from it when it needs to go along the bottom of your car.
Old 01-02-2009, 12:34 PM
HornyHornyHippo
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by MurderedStang
Polyurethane is stronger and more durable, fiberglass will do you fine if your a good driver and can stay out of bad places and not hit little things in/on the road.
+1, fiberglass is cheaper to

Quick Reply: Fiberglass or Polyurethane??