V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

need air compressor help

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 03:51 PM
rallyred01
1st Gear Member

Unhappy need air compressor help

Yesterday, my AC stopped working. It was just blowing air like it was on vent. I bought a can of EZ Chill to see if that would help, but when I turned the car on today and tested the pressure, it was right between 50-55psi which is exactly where it should be for the temperature it is here. Not only that, but the AC was working just fine.

The only thing I noticed was after the AC was turned on, and the compressor belt engaged, is after a few seconds of being on, the spinning thing (forgive my lack of knowledge in the area) stopped spinning completely for a few seconds. This made me worry. Is this a sign that something needs to be lubed, or that something might be wrong? Or is this not anything to worry about?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9kKqV-Wgec
Old 07-07-2009, 06:37 PM
winner99
3rd Gear Member

I bet wiring connector popped loose of the compressor, happened to me not to long ago.
Old 07-07-2009, 07:25 PM
Fink
5th Gear Member

The spinning thing is known as the clutch. When the clutch engages and starts spinning the AC is working, when it stops, its not working.

It probably is a loose connection.
Old 07-07-2009, 09:09 PM
mustang99v6
3rd Gear Member

Default 1

dielectric grease works wonders. remove the harness and put some on it and reattach it. should fix you up.
Old 07-07-2009, 11:42 PM
SilverOnyx1
2nd Gear Member

It looks to me like you have a slipping clutch on your compressor. It seems to spins fine at first then looks like it slips. You may find a used compressor at a salvage yard or you can find a refurbished one but it will cost a bit more.
Old 07-08-2009, 03:16 PM
moontang
4th Gear Member

get this fixed before it fries your bearing and you have to have another one pressed it that will save you 100$ this just happened to my buddies cobra not very long ago and it fried the whole clutch assembly and bearings you can get just the clutch assembly for these instead of a whole compressor jsut doet
Old 07-08-2009, 08:38 PM
rallyred01
1st Gear Member

thanks moontang. do you know what that's gonna run me?
Old 07-09-2009, 12:26 AM
winner99
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by moontang
get this fixed before it fries your bearing and you have to have another one pressed it that will save you 100$ this just happened to my buddies cobra not very long ago and it fried the whole clutch assembly and bearings you can get just the clutch assembly for these instead of a whole compressor jsut doet

the clutch assembly is more than a used compressor. why not get the whole thing.
Old 07-09-2009, 11:33 AM
RyansQuick6
Reverse Gear Member

Check your engine temps. In the kind of heat the southeast has been having, the car can get a little over normal operating temp and it will kill the a/c system to help the car cool down. Another thing that could be happening is again, due to the heat, the a/c system is working it's *** off and it may just be freezing over.
Old 07-10-2009, 12:38 AM
rallyred01
1st Gear Member

Hey guys, I think the AC has had it. Today, I had the serpentine belt snap, and lost power steering. Thankfully it was in a parking lot. I think the air compressor has had it lol.

For some reason I was thinking this was a super expensive piece (again, don't know much in this area), but i saw this on eBay.

Is it really that inexpensive for a used AC?
Is it better to buy new vs used?
Is there a better place to purchase one?
Is there anything else I likely need to replace other than the AC?

Quick Reply: need air compressor help