V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

crashed my 2001 v6, hood latch problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 10:46 PM
igotahar0

Default crashed my 2001 v6, hood latch problems

I live in St. Louis Missouri, and last night we had a snow storm. tonight, i was having fun and crashed my car. going a reasonable speed on a turn i lost control, spun clockwise, ate the curb and then my driver side front of my car hit a wooden utility pole. after doing this, my engine is knocking. but right now my concern is this: my hood will not open or close. it is stuck popped. after crashing i got out of my car and heard my engine tick, and immediatly popped my hood. it popped, but i could not unlatch the hood. when i try to push the lever up as normal, it moves with the hood. so in other words, theres no room above the lever to move it up to unlatch it. any information will be more than appreciated so that i might be able to do something with my car tomorrow before my dad kills me.
Old 01-08-2010, 01:13 AM
stocksixer88
1st Gear Member

your saying you basically totaled your car and you think somehow if you can get the hood open all will be well with the world?

call your insurance agent!
Old 01-08-2010, 02:07 AM
RyansQuick6
Reverse Gear Member

you're effed. If it's knocking, unless you have a machine shop in your backyard or a replacement motor in the attic, you're not gonna get away with it. Lesson learned.
Old 01-08-2010, 08:37 AM
igotahar0

the engine is actually not knocking. the car is not totaled. i want to open the hood so that i can take apart my front end
Old 01-08-2010, 09:27 AM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

Get a socket and a swivel and unbolt the latch assembly. A wrench might work too.
Old 01-08-2010, 09:54 AM
igotahar0

thank you projectresto83 for not just saying there is no hope. i took the bolts out but the latch didnt really move after that. however though, i have gotten the hood open smashing screw drivers into the hole in the hood to push the latch hook over. now i see that my front end is pushed towards the passenger side. so for an update, i am working on yanking my front end back.
Old 01-08-2010, 11:51 AM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

Pics!!! So was there anything in the way of the accessories or the fan possibly causing the ticking noise?
Old 01-08-2010, 01:22 PM
RyansQuick6
Reverse Gear Member

A knocking engine is a bent rod, spun bearing or something of that nature, knocks only come from the bottom end. You can't figure out how to open a hood and you're gonna try to tell me I'm wrong, what a tard.
Old 01-08-2010, 01:56 PM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

Something is making noise and it is not supposed to. Get a video and let us hear it too!
Old 01-08-2010, 10:37 PM
igotahar0

Thumbs up

SPOILER! the ticking was the accessory belt (or rather the power steering pulley) eating a hole in the wire that goes along the battery holder.

sorry to disappoint guys, but me and my dad fixed the problem earlier. we took the bumper cover completely off then attached a chain to the actual bumper, and attached the other end to his van. we pulled my front end back towards the driver side, and mostly everything is fixed. the battery completely clears the accessory belt now and the hood works properly. by having the front end torqued, and the hood latch was pushed towards the passenger side, and because the hook unlatches to the right, it was stuck. and to add to that, the body was pushed to where the hood couldn't sit properly. the hood now opens and closes properly. thanks for the support projectresto83!]

my apologies RyansQuick6, for saying that the engine was knocking. i should have said "sounds like engine ticking"

Last edited by igotahar0; 01-09-2010 at 01:18 PM.

Quick Reply: crashed my 2001 v6, hood latch problems